SES_joe

Patch 1.0.13.0 - March 13th, 2019

Patch_Notes_Poster_13.png

Patch 1.0.13.0 Release Notes
The primary focus on this patch was to continue addressing the most pressing performance concerns! When comparing with exisiting saves, we saw significant framerate improvements. Some more big performance changes are being tested and worked on right now, which should further help with performance, especially in multiplayer sessions. We are definitely not done optimizing, but this was a much needed big first step.

Tether Changes 

This patch includes a rework of the algorithm that drives the placement of new tethers in a network. The new algorithm should greatly reduce the hitches players see when placing tethers in a big network across all platforms, leading to improved performance in single player and multiplayer games. This is the first part of a two-step fix to this system, the next portion coming in a future patch. 

The rework of the algorithm has somewhat changed the connection behavior of tethers. The impact of this change is not only on performance, but also in far more predictability and control over what will happen when you drop or pick up a tether. 

Here is a summary of what’s changed and what remains:

• Vehicles, base platforms and characters should behave the same as before. You should not see any difference in how they make tether connections. 
  • Connections between tether posts that have changed. When placing a new tether post, it will now connect to the closest tether post of each distinct tether network in range. A tether network in this case being a set of connected tether posts.
  • Tether networks are no longer self-healing! When you pick up a tether post it will trigger a network split of all the other tethers it was attached to. A tether post being disconnected will not cause any other tether post connections to change.

Performance Improvements
A number of overall performance improvements are included in this patch.

• Make debris objects despawn when they leave relevance
  • Generally reduce object count by cleaning up stateless objects that are far away from players.
  • Sped up transform updates for all objects.
  • Updated timeslicing settings for expensive objects that did not previously take advantage of timeslicing.
  • Optimized terrain geometry generation throughput.
  • Do not update animations that are out of the player's view and not in their immediate vicinity to save time.
  • Cached audio parameter values to avoid time spent updating them when they haven't changed.

Bugfixes
Fixed several of our commonly reported crashes increasing overall stability

• [AS-6342] - Fixed a bug introduced in the last update, where digging up Hazards with research samples attached cause the research to pop into the air and become stuck. 
  • [[AS-6351] - The achievement “Journey to the Center of the Thing” now unlocks when its requirements are met. 
  • [AS-6353] -  Fixed a bug which caused objects to become unusable for client players when unpacked or repackaged while outside the host's field of view in Multiplayer games. 
  • [AS-6390] - Fixed a bug Moving wrecked rover seat means Player is unable to interact with debris POI after save.

Sorry that this one took a little longer than expected, there are some big changes to some core systems here and we needed more time to test!

-jt

So... Still didn't bring back the one-button quickstow I see... I don't get it. There's plenty of gamepad players out there like me who are confused as to how exactly the removal of that feature was for our benefit, since it wasn't a problem for most of us to begin with, and removing it actually made it worse. I'm sure some people had issues with it, but to just remove it from the game entirely was a really bizarre response... It's great that you are fixing all these other things, don't get me wrong... But it sure feels like there's a lot of selective listening going on when it comes to deciding what to change and how to change it.. And it feels like that feature was removed to appease some other group of players (of which I am not a member apparently) at my own expense, since it is significantly less enjoyable now for me. Having to pick up items off the ground twice was my biggest complaint when it was in EA, and when the 1.0 release came out, I was so happy to see that that had been addressed... But now its right back to the frustrating way it was before. I just don't get it. Would it be so hard to make it toggleable? Is there some unspecified reason for changing it? Well, whatever, I'm going to stick with 1.0, since it has the least problems and still has that function available. I'll update when/if the quickstow function is returned. =\

I created an account just to tell you that you guys are awesome, this game is awesome, and trolls who use tubers for computers and then hate on developers are awesome too.

Thanks Joe, cheers for the consistent updates!!

joe we really need some form of maps for navigation around planets. It would be just awesome if we could build a satellite that activates GPS. perhaps once launched a gps mod is also required to be carried. It’s difficult to locate your home base and other players when exploring. 

Also conveyor belts/ jet packs/ medium storage optimisation to only take pre selected resources so when you’re smelting multiples it organises for you.

Just a few ideas i thought I’d share as a huge fan!

Thanks for this you guys! What a gem of a game...

and to the whiners I say read this!

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/4w33ed/why-its-so-hard-to-make-a-video-game

17 minutes ago, ItZ Romzy said:

joe we really need some form of maps for navigation around planets. It would be just awesome if we could build a satellite that activates GPS. perhaps once launched a gps mod is also required to be carried. It’s difficult to locate your home base and other players when exploring.

Not a gps, but adding markers on the compass would be awesome. I've had a hard time getting lost on planets while out exploring. Beacons are ok, but they get lost behind mountains fairly easily. A home marker on the compass would be aces. It would be something simple, although I'm sure the backend won't be as simple.

Great to see the team still plugging away at the game. Hope more optimizations come to the xbox.

mockupcompass.png

The Unreal 4 engine is great, but it's a beast to code safely. I appreciate that a small team is still striving to make the core of the game playable.

In the not-to-distant future, I'd really appreciate console controller mapping abilities. The controller mapping is counter-intuitive for most players.

In any event, it's nice to see the team making the efforts to keep the game alive and viable. I appreciate it.

Just now, Orbiter777 said:

The Unreal 4 engine is great, but it's a beast to code safely. I appreciate that a small team is still striving to make the core of the game playable.

In the not-to-distant future, I'd really appreciate console controller mapping abilities. The controller mapping is counter-intuitive for most players.

In any event, it's nice to see the team making the efforts to keep the game alive and viable. I appreciate it.

This is definitely on the list, especially because this has the benefit of adding accessibility features to the game as well!

just tested the update , one of my previous save made in update 1.0.4.0 the entire tether network is broken have to replace all tether one by one , but other save made prior or after update 1.0.4.0 tether network are fine

Noticed it did speed up the a past save however crashes every 2-5 mins... Started a New Game. No issues so far. Something wrong with old save I guess. Not thrilled about it but already hit Full end game on old save :(

1 minute ago, Macaronis said:

Noticed it did speed up the a past save however crashes every 2-5 mins... Started a New Game. No issues so far. Something wrong with old save I guess. Not thrilled about it but already hit Full end game on old save :(

Noooo! Can you please send the crash dump to me? support @ systemera. net

Can someone explain to me what self healing tether networks mean?

Also I would be down for some kind of modular satellite construction (which would include upgradeable mapping tech)

Or a buildable space station.

At the very least access to the Exo Dynamics mothership from the title screen.

25 minutes ago, Agent Exeider said:

Can someone explain to me what self healing tether networks mean?

I BELIEVE what this means is, before the update, when you removed a Middle tether in between other tethers, those other tethers would try to make new connections if they were close enough, sometimes filling in the gap.
Now no new connections/changes will be made by the other tethers, the one tether and its connections will just be removed.

i’m really impressed that i got some frames back and the game is running smoother than ever,I can’t wait to see how smooth the game will run when all is fixed in future updates.Although i don’t know why they couldn’t just do what they did for 1.0.13 a long time ago 🤔 but anyways Keep up the great work!

Okay, tried the new patch on my Windows machine and again it still crashes, on my first attempt got 11 minutes, second attempt got 25 minutes.

Still not up too snuff, keep at it.

v1.0.13.0 still crashes during the ending animation (right after the drop pod launches). I am also not seeing any FPS improvement in my existing saved same. Please focus on the crashes on Xbox (enter vehicle or structure, saving, tunneling to core, the ending, etc.)!

Loving the new improvements and faster loading save. I am pleased to say that tether network suffers no more lags. 

Unfortunately, the game crashes 30 mins into gameplay. 

It happened a few times while trying to return to the surface from the core on Glacio. 

I hope there is nothing wrong with the save, because I have spent alot of time and hard work just getting to where I am now. 

1 hour ago, LucasUP said:

I BELIEVE what this means is, before the update, when you removed a Middle tether in between other tethers, those other tethers would try to make new connections if they were close enough, sometimes filling in the gap.
Now no new connections/changes will be made by the other tethers, the one tether and its connections will just be removed.

ahh so you dont get those wierd trapazoid shapes that tether networks can make, nice.

well , fps are still a big issue, on glacio it's very bad, going down to the core slow down the game to unplayable state again , how many save will we have to start back , it's to believe that when you state to delay update to ensure you don't break save game it is the total opposite , my save started on 1.0.9 was better before this update , other save prior seem better for 5 minutes then slow down again . i guess that patch was again for the PC and Xbox was left behind explaining why the no mention of XBOX in the OP .

The overall game seems to run smoother than before. I have been experiencing a lot of crashes though, usually after or while using the drill on a rover and it just crashes and closes the game immediately. Thanks for the continued work on the game.

Great job guys - Went from 20-40 FPS-1920X1080-low settings on my system to 50-70fps on 1440p on Ultra and experimental. I would say that's a pretty substantial improvement. Lots whiners and complainers here - hopefully they don't discourage your progress. Appreciate the efforts and commitment with Astroneer.

Ryzen 7 1700

32GB DDR4

RTX 2060 6GB

1TB NVME SSD

Windows 10 Home 1806