Sign in to follow this  
Observable boi

X-ray/resource scan device

This would be a device that could be used to scan the ground around it for some specific resource, and if it found a deposit (or multiple deposits) it would make them glow, helping get to it and keep track of the position of resource. To turn the glow off just tap "stop" at the scanner and it would be ready to scan for other resources.
This item would be 100% late game, and it should use the hardest items there are to get like nanocarbon. It could even be very-big tier item that would be standalone scanner and it could use lots of power for activation. It could even need few times more bytes then RTG needs - all of these things wont stop it from being used, as it will help so much in resource collection, that it will be a must-have on any planet.
The fact is, that some players can get unlucky in their resource spawn, and would be wandering everywhere to get maybe a common resource, easily available on the planet but not in the specific save, and this device would solve all late game resource scarcity problems. 

+1 @Observable boi I like the idea that you have presented, it's a great idea. I only have a few questions and comments though. How would the resources be located by this "resource scanner" would it be portable via large rover or other means of transportation? Would it set almost like a beacon marker at the closest deposit or would it glow once you have gotten into range of the resource(s)? If it is where once you have gotten into range it would glow, what would be the distance that it can "see" the resources? Close? Medium? Far? Also could there be a version where it can be attached to your backpack, possibly made from something like 1 Astronium or nanocarbon alloy? Would it be consumable if it is on your backpack? also would you need to find a certain resource first and then have it "research" it destroying the sample but unlocking the possibility to locate it using the machine?

it could work like the resource scanner in subnautica. you can upgrade the scanner range with add ons.  A subtle overlay (like a transparent red circle) showing the approximate location of clumps of resources of one type you can turn on and off would rule. RULE.  it's wirelessly connected to your helmet from the large base building, mountable perhaps only on large rovers.

Disagree to the late game idea. High level players have lots of ways of getting resources.

New player here, about 12 hours in. On the latest game I've just spent about eight hours looking for Laterite, and still not found any. I've done loads of research, and I'd be quite happy to trade a couple of thousand bytes for a one off scan to show me where some is. As it is, I'm stuck, as aluminium is just about essential to progress.