Sign in to follow this  
Mak-a-Face

Multipurpose Extender

I keep running into extender sitting on top of small platforms or damage rovers but with the introduction of the RTG, I don't use them much anymore. So why not give them other uses besides connecting to derelict solar arrays.

If you've ever played around with the rover with a drill and a few trailers, you would of noticed that it will collect and transfer resources between trailers until they are filled.

The idea is to give this same ability to transfer resources from one platform to another using the extender. The direction of the extenders will dictate the flow of the resources. So if you're running a smelter and have two other platforms on either sides, one could hold the unrefined resources and the other platform would receive the refine resources.

I'm guessing that you'd need to limit the extenders to one between platforms otherwise players would run extenders all the way down to funnel resources up to the surface.

Hmm, now that I think about it. You could probably even use the splitter also to redirect different resources to different platforms.

8EQaGK7.png

On another topic, the deployment of extenders seems to be more cumbersome than it used to be. I still think they should be treated the same way you use the tethers. You press the "T" key and then you place it. The "tether" key should allow you to choose between tethers or extenders. Just a thought.

Posted (edited)

I had suggested something quite similar...

Edited by Igoooor

The old method for using extenders was that if you had them in your backpack they'd automagically get placed when you reached the extent of your cable/plug. I'm unsure why that was removed but I hope that it is re-added at some point. The new method isn't terribly enjoyable to use.

I don't think that using extenders to "transmit" resources is a good idea though. I'd much prefer a better solution. Largely as while it would be a way to use extenders up late game when they're generally no longer needed, with the game as it is now it's hard to see how you'd prevent them from being used early game - they'd be too powerful.

Something like the robot arms like those in Factorio would fit the setting far better. And could be produced from the Research/Crafting standpoint for a specific cost or their own. Requiring a specific recipe and/or byte cost to make them easier to balance in the early game.

17 hours ago, Igoooor said:

I had suggested something quite similar...

I must've missed that one but I'm kind of looking at the existing assets in the game that didn't make much sense in the first place, let alone be that useful. Directional extenders would be more suitable to funnel resources or fluids but not current.

3 hours ago, lost.ninja said:

The old method for using extenders was that if you had them in your backpack they'd automagically get placed when you reached the extent of your cable/plug. I'm unsure why that was removed but I hope that it is re-added at some point. The new method isn't terribly enjoyable to use.

Exactly, having different kinds of deployable items like tethers or extenders would be easier for placement is treated like the current tethers are. If only the current tethers would have a slight delay when they max out in range, it would be much easier to maximize the tethers.

3 hours ago, lost.ninja said:

Something like the robot arms like those in Factorio would fit the setting far better.

We are starting to see it being overused by other developers who are trying to mimic games like Factorio.