MingKlytus

Day/Night Cycle Freeze

I am playing through Steam on a Windows 10 platform. 

After playing for many hours the Day/Night Cyle will freeze. All rotation of the planets just stops. Restarting does no good. 

I ran into this all the time in early access but just started over. Always after hours of play on one savegame. Like most bugs, I figured it had been reported and would be fixed along the way. But I can’t find any mention of it.

I have been playing this current save for hours and hours and all of the sudden I ran out of battery power and realized it had been dark for quite a while. Hopped in the shuttle and yep ... no rotation of the planets. I went to a couple of my bases on other planets ... no change. Restarted. No change. Turned down the settings and restarted. No change.

My other savegames don’t have the problem. I can’t figure out why this is happening. The only difference is the amount of time I have played.

So frustrating. Any ideas?

So if I drive around the planet or keep moving ... It appears to move some ... so I can drive around in circles until the sun comes back up. 

I can’t believe nobody is having this issue.  

so, if you were to move to where there was sunlight you would have infinite solar power? this sounds like fun actually!

no clue how to fix it though, never seen anything like that happen before, reinstalling the game entirely might fix it?

Posted (edited)

You are not alone! This same bug hit my save today.

I play on the Steam version, typically with a controller. When I launched from Sylva today and traveled to Calidor, I noticed the planets were all stuck in place in the solar system. When I landed on Calidor, I was in permanent night time. Even the stars in the sky were not moving. I could see Sylva and Desolo on the horizon, but they were just frozen in place. Every once in a while, they'd "jump" a bit, as if trying to resume moving, but they remained stuck. I traveled back to Sylva to discover it, too, was seemingly frozen in time. I can travel to a portion of the planet that has sun, and it remains daylight permanently. 

I have now traveled to all planets and can confirm that everything just appears frozen in time, but it seems to stem from the fact no planets are moving in the solar system at all.

Edit to add... this only happens in one save game. All other saves are not impacted by this bug.

Edited by BrandonBTYB

On 3/11/2019 at 9:52 PM, shadowcrafter01 said:

so, if you were to move to where there was sunlight you would have infinite solar power? this sounds like fun actually!

no clue how to fix it though, never seen anything like that happen before, reinstalling the game entirely might fix it?

Well - kinda. The cycle seems to move some. Mostly when in a rover. So you would have sunlight for a time ... but eventually you would be back in night again. Strange bug. 

10 hours ago, BrandonBTYB said:

You are not alone! This same bug hit my save today.

I play on the Steam version, typically with a controller. When I launched from Sylva today and traveled to Calidor, I noticed the planets were all stuck in place in the solar system. When I landed on Calidor, I was in permanent night time. Even the stars in the sky were not moving. I could see Sylva and Desolo on the horizon, but they were just frozen in place. Every once in a while, they'd "jump" a bit, as if trying to resume moving, but they remained stuck. I traveled back to Sylva to discover it, too, was seemingly frozen in time. I can travel to a portion of the planet that has sun, and it remains daylight permanently. 

I have now traveled to all planets and can confirm that everything just appears frozen in time, but it seems to stem from the fact no planets are moving in the solar system at all.

Edit to add... this only happens in one save game. All other saves are not impacted by this bug.

I hate you are having the same issue - but I am so glad I am not alone. 

I have a strange question for you: Have you used the Terrain Analyzer Mod a lot? I am trying to figure out what I do that makes the cycle stop. I first noticed the problem in 1.0 when I created a “road” through the mountains and went back and “coloreded” it black. The first phase of the road caused no issues... but it was after the second phase ... and the coloring of the road ... that I noticed the bug. 

Back in early access I was obsessed with “true flat” and I would design these huge true flat bases. I thought back then that all the true flat surfaces caused some kind or rendering glitch. But now (with no true flat) I am starting to think the issue appeared when I would go back and color all of surfaces ... maybe?!?!?

I am grasping for straws ... I admit ... but maybe it’s something I (we) are doing differently. 

Thanks so much for leaving a comment. I was getting lonely. Lol. 

Others Speak Up! 

If anyone else has noticed this bug - please leave a comment. I am afraid it’s not enough of an issue to make it on the devs priority list of things to check out. Which is totally understandable ... but if there are enough of us having the problem ... maybe that will justify them looking into the problem sooner. 

Great game. Great development team. Great community. I appreciate everyone’s time.

MK

I have never even bothered to print a Terrain Analyzer, so that's not it. I do, however, have two huge flattened bases on Sylva. Well, as flat as they can get. 

The only thing I see in common so far is that we both have a lot of hours on the save file in question. This is the first time this has happened to me; all my other saves work fine.

18 hours ago, BrandonBTYB said:

I have never even bothered to print a Terrain Analyzer, so that's not it. I do, however, have two huge flattened bases on Sylva. Well, as flat as they can get. 

The only thing I see in common so far is that we both have a lot of hours on the save file in question. This is the first time this has happened to me; all my other saves work fine.

Ok ... two things in common. I too have multiple bases on Silva. I have one large base and three smaller bases. But together it’s at least two large flat bases. So perhaps it’s large player made flat areas and/or lots of hours on a single save game   

Edited by MingKlytus

Can confirm this is not an isolated issue. It just occurred to me as well.

I don't have the

On 3/14/2019 at 11:19 PM, MingKlytus said:

Ok ... two things in common. I too have multiple bases on Silva. I have one large base and three smaller bases. But together it’s at least two large flat bases. So perhaps it’s large player made flat areas and/or lots of hours on a single save game   

I just ran into the same bug today while I was on Vesania. I only have one base on Sylva, though. I do have three smaller bases scattered throughout other planets; one on Desolo, one on Novus and one on Vesania.

When I loaded the save file on Sylva, everything was fine. Went to Desolo to do some housekeeping on my base (because I have crippling OCD), everything was OK. Took off and headed over to Novus (which was fun to try to click on because of how fast Desolo spins), still nothing out of the ordinary. Collected a few resources, then took off and headed over to Vesania. When I was in the "map" view to switch orbits between Novus and Vesania, everything was still moving around. Landed and started collecting some research items. The sun was starting to set, so far so good. Eventually, though, while I was collecting Titanite, it dawned on me that it had been dark for an unusually long time. Looked at the sky and noticed the stars had stopped moving. Looked to the horizon and saw Novus had stopped moving as well. Took off to go back to Sylva and in map view, sure enough, none of the planets were moving.

When I landed back on Sylva, I noticed that if I stay absolutely still, the sun and planets will start moving again, but every slowly and not smoothly (more like stuttering/jumping across as if they're trying to get going again), similar to what BrandonBTYB witnessed.

I'm trying to figure out if something I did on Vesania caused the bug to appear. However, from what you guys have reported as well as the limited few posts here and on Reddit, it seems this bug is time-spent-on-save related (it only seems to occur on save files that have logged numerous hours).

I'm also on the Steam platform, though on Windows 7.

1 hour ago, CommanderHobo87 said:

Can confirm this is not an isolated issue. It just occurred to me as well.

I don't have the

I just ran into the same bug today while I was on Vesania. I only have one base on Sylva, though. I do have three smaller bases scattered throughout other planets; one on Desolo, one on Novus and one on Vesania.

When I loaded the save file on Sylva, everything was fine. Went to Desolo to do some housekeeping on my base (because I have crippling OCD), everything was OK. Took off and headed over to Novus (which was fun to try to click on because of how fast Desolo spins), still nothing out of the ordinary. Collected a few resources, then took off and headed over to Vesania. When I was in the "map" view to switch orbits between Novus and Vesania, everything was still moving around. Landed and started collecting some research items. The sun was starting to set, so far so good. Eventually, though, while I was collecting Titanite, it dawned on me that it had been dark for an unusually long time. Looked at the sky and noticed the stars had stopped moving. Looked to the horizon and saw Novus had stopped moving as well. Took off to go back to Sylva and in map view, sure enough, none of the planets were moving.

When I landed back on Sylva, I noticed that if I stay absolutely still, the sun and planets will start moving again, but every slowly and not smoothly (more like stuttering/jumping across as if they're trying to get going again), similar to what BrandonBTYB witnessed.

I'm trying to figure out if something I did on Vesania caused the bug to appear. However, from what you guys have reported as well as the limited few posts here and on Reddit, it seems this bug is time-spent-on-save related (it only seems to occur on save files that have logged numerous hours).

I'm also on the Steam platform, though on Windows 7.

I too am OCD … LOL. 

My current OCD is manifesting it's self as an obsession to figure out what's causing it. I simply can't get past this bug. I have been trying everything I can to narrow down the issue.

I have run into the bug without ever acquiring Titanite … or traveling to Vasania … so it's not that (or not that alone anyway) … So let me ask me ask you about the Desolo trip. When you were working on your base … did you do a combination of the following:

*add work lights as 'fixed' base work lights

*add extenders

*add a battery to a medium platform

When you went to Vesania did you construct anything

===

Thank you for taking the time to post here. 

When you guys have time … please email your savegame file to support@systemera.net, during the live stream last week Joe asked that folks send savegame files to that email address when you run across issues. He did not speak to this bug specifically, but he did suggest that emailing the savegame to them is very helpful for some of the other bugs they mentioned. 

I ask that you please put 'Day/Night Cycle Freeze Bug' in the subject line.

Thanks to everyone who takes the time to post. 

3 hours ago, MingKlytus said:

… So let me ask me ask you about the Desolo trip. When you were working on your base … did you do a combination of the following:

*add work lights as 'fixed' base work lights

*add extenders

*add a battery to a medium platform

When you went to Vesania did you construct anything

I did make two work lights while I was on Desolo. However, I attached them to the tractor rather than the base itself. I do have extenders running from my "power station" up on the rim of one of the craters to my base, but those I added when I first arrived on Desolo a couple of weeks ago. I haven't added any more recently, though I did reposition them yesterday so they would line up better (everything was still OK when I saved and closed the game out yesterday). I have two medium batteries on a Medium Platform A. However, like the extenders, they've been there for a couple of weeks now.

All I did today on Desolo was add the work lights to the tractor, reposition said tractor so it would be parked facing the ramp leading out of the base, added a new medium solar panel to my power station and re-arranged the three existing panels so they would be in perfect formation (like I said, OCD).

On Novus I just collected a few items (quick pit stop) before heading over to Vesania.

On Vesania I picked up a few researchable items and loaded them on the shuttle to take back to Sylva. I did construct a Medium Platform A to mount two medium wind turbines to for that base's power station (also did a little re-arranging of the power station itself). At this point is when the sun set and as far as I know everything was still OK. However, I wasn't really paying much attention to the sky, so whether or not this is when it started glitching out or not I'm not really sure. However, I had built two other medium platforms (both A and B) over the past few weeks on Vesania when I was getting that base on its feet and everything was OK, so I'm doubtful that the new platform I built today had something to do with it (or maybe it did, for all I know).

I did send my save file to the support e-mail as suggested.

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 10:08 PM, CommanderHobo87 said:

I did make two work lights while I was on Desolo. However, I attached them to the tractor rather than the base itself. I do have extenders running from my "power station" up on the rim of one of the craters to my base, but those I added when I first arrived on Desolo a couple of weeks ago. I haven't added any more recently, though I did reposition them yesterday so they would line up better (everything was still OK when I saved and closed the game out yesterday). I have two medium batteries on a Medium Platform A. However, like the extenders, they've been there for a couple of weeks now.

All I did today on Desolo was add the work lights to the tractor, reposition said tractor so it would be parked facing the ramp leading out of the base, added a new medium solar panel to my power station and re-arranged the three existing panels so they would be in perfect formation (like I said, OCD).

On Novus I just collected a few items (quick pit stop) before heading over to Vesania.

On Vesania I picked up a few researchable items and loaded them on the shuttle to take back to Sylva. I did construct a Medium Platform A to mount two medium wind turbines to for that base's power station (also did a little re-arranging of the power station itself). At this point is when the sun set and as far as I know everything was still OK. However, I wasn't really paying much attention to the sky, so whether or not this is when it started glitching out or not I'm not really sure. However, I had built two other medium platforms (both A and B) over the past few weeks on Vesania when I was getting that base on its feet and everything was OK, so I'm doubtful that the new platform I built today had something to do with it (or maybe it did, for all I know).

I did send my save file to the support e-mail as suggested.

THANK YOU for the information.

None of that tracks with what (specifically) I was doing to cause the bug. I am back to thinking that its something about the length of play. I am totally perplexed. 

I guess I am going to start a new game and just play like I normally do and see if I experience the bug again.

During the livestream the other night (I think Joe said it) the comment was made that SE has a tool which analyzes savegame files. Perhaps when they get these files a scan will reveal something that all of us with this bug are doing.

If you don't mind … leave a post if you hear from SE and I will do the same. I don't yet have any confirmation that this bug has made their list.

Thanks again!

MK

Edited by MingKlytus