Sign in to follow this  
mountarreat

Active drill in front of a vehicle causes it to sink into the ground and stops it

Posted (edited)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17cyJFEhQs6oRKtLAHTQr_5Q7FDERjOmO/view?usp=sharing

I captured the bug on video, so you can see what is going on.

Short description: Starting the drill at any angle causes the vehicle to sink into the ground as soon as the drill is touching terrain.

That will stop the vehicle immediately and prevents you from going any further, hence the vehicle is currently useless to collect soil and is even unable to drill to the core.

I am using Steam version of the game at 1.09, Drill 3 on a large rover, but the tractor does the same.

Edited by mountarreat

One thing worthy to mention is that the bug might be related to different versions of the game.

I just tested and can confirm that a new world doesn't have issues with large rovers and drills mounted to them.

It appears that older worlds seem to have issues with drills on vehicles only.

For the bug to appear it doesn't matter which drill strength or vehicle is used, but apparently when the world was created (or in what version it was created).

Yeah just experienced this on my first attempt to drill to a core. My tractor won't move and then just sinks into the ground. I thought it was because I was using drill 3 so I switched to drill 1 and it did the exact same thing. If my tractor isn't moving before the drill gets turned on then it won't move and just sinks into the ground until the drill is facing the sky. If I turn it on while driving the back tires will start sinking a few seconds after drilling.

This bug is weird.   My second save has this bug but I can go back to my first save and it doesn't happen.  Almost to that point in save #3 so we'll see what RNG does to me this time.

Like this?

I have reached the point in my current save where it generally performs like garbage, which is why I had process properties open. CPU never goes above 20% use max, RAM use never went above 6.4GB, IO (hdd, etc.) was almost nothing since I am still playing with the sound system disabled... GPU use was less than 20% and so low that it sits around idle temps. For those curious, my system is a hexa-core running at 4.1GHz, 64GB of RAM, and 2x GTX 1080 Tis. None of which is being very well utilized in this case...

So what must be causing all this waiting? Waiting... too much threadlock/synchronization? Thats a lot of threads dedicated to a "TetherNetworkSingleton" "Update" method... I have actually removed most of my tethers from large networks and isolated as much as possible with their own oxygenators.

Still it seems late in the game performance is far worse, and like you mentioned it seems to vary per planet. My worse experience so far has been Novus and Glacio. Glacio was okay very early game, but now... I don't want to go back. I remember way back in early access, by the time I would get to my third planet, performance would get bad enough that I had to stop. Thankfully my saves perform better for much longer now.

So about the vehicles sinking with the drill running... does it happen more often when the ground seems sticky? Like when you run around on foot and the ground seems to lock you in place like this?

I've seen the "sticky feet" problem too, on all saves, but don't know if it is related.  I don't think so because I don't sink while walking, only get stopped from moving forward.  I have also seen "quicksand" where half the player is submerged in the ground but only seen that a couple times in >100 hours of 1.0 playtime.  Drill on rover (or tractor) causes sinking about the same on all planets and not related to moving forward.     The drill on my third save works perfectly, it is only on save#2 they are bugged.