Big Purple things are flying, why?

It's a bug if they're flying I'd guess, most of the ones I've found are either on the ground or semi buried. I'd love to have them completely buried or in a surface cave so you didn't have the ease of finding them that normally exists (seeing it from space).

In my current play-through gateways on Atrox are what looks like 100s of meters (~5 times the height of the gateway) off the ground. Half of it is in the clouds. 

Yeah, I just finished all the 6 surface gateways on Glacio and many were high above the ground.  Hard to haul 3 packaged Solar Arrays up a soil ramp to get there... 😣

8 hours ago, Davenaut said:

Yeah, I just finished all the 6 surface gateways on Glacio and many were high above the ground.  Hard to haul 3 packaged Solar Arrays up a soil ramp to get there... 😣

Here's a tip I learned from the Astroneer reddit :

Get a bunch of lithium (at least 32), make 4 medium storage, fill the storage up with small batteries, & make a large storage to put them all on. Now you have a "mega battery" that is portable via the medium or large rover & can fully power all gates. 

You'll also need to make at least one RTG to keep it powered as you go from gate to gate. 

You're welcome. 😉

Edited by MAJOR WOODS

I finally realised that keeping the wide stripe of stasr directly over head gets 4 gates lined up (east/west), then drive perpendicular to do the other two.

What threw me was that the planet appears vertical on the east/west orientation when you're in the shuttle. I wish they allowed free flight up there. That would be nice. Check out all the planets and land where you like, or at least in the blue marked zones.

Why such a short time to edit ?

When you are in a shuttle, it would be nice if when you pressed launch, you could click on the beacons of a landing pad of the current planet you are on and land there.

HAHA! @MAJOR WOODS that will teach me to not check Reddit first!  Thanks for the great tip.

@Buddha (Aus)  To add to your orienteering tip:

1. The shuttle has an east-west orbit around each planet. 
  2. The sun rises in the west and sets in the east.
  3. When you click launch to see the solar system view, to choose a new planet to travel to,  the camera is then oriented so the planet's "North Poles" are down.
  4. At the Gateway Chamber, when you gaze into the odd stone and get the map of elevations, Elevation 3 is the chamber at the "North Pole" (the right side of the map).
  5. If you travel to the Elevation 3 chamber, your compass will point north as your circle the chamber, right to the very point of the odd stone's epicenter.

So orientation is a bit confusing in Astroneer as "up" is never consistent.  I am not sure if that was a deliberate game play idea to make players rely on their rudimentary orienteering techniques, but I guess somehow we have to make all those years of Boyscout/Girlscout training pay off!