I would rely like to be able to place signs with (custom) texts and/or symbols.

It would help with laying out routes and labeling storage locations for example.

I think beacons could be perfect still, just give them more customization. Instead of just hold key/button to change color, open a menu with two changeable actions. One for colors (which  adding more would be awesome!) and one for symbols/words. You could even add more by making categories of symbols; resources, structures, objects, compass directions; with each having their own sets of symbols.

More customization on beacons sounds like a solid plan to me.

When you placed a beacon you can open a menu by pressing F with the options to:

• Change color of marker and text
  • Toggle beacon marker on/off
  • Add text
  • Add symbols (resources, structures, objects, (compass) directions)

Here is how is imagine this:
Text and symbols can be shown as a little hologram floating above the beacon. When you want to use the beacon for directions you could point an arrow to a specific direction with maybe some custom text above the arrow. You can also choose to show a slowly turning hologram of a resource for marking storage or marking a deposit. The marker stays as it is now, if toggled on it is visible from a larger distance. The marker cannot be changed to text or other symbols.

More options for beacons, yes please.

But non-Beacon signs too, if I want to place a sign indicating something like a storage location, place to park or a hidden resource I might not want to clutter up my distance view with excessive beacons.

I'd really love a Placeable Pole with an arrow pointer on the top. You'd click the Terrain for the "Point" gesture/emote, then place a Pole Pointer and the Arrow on the Top would point where you just clicked.

Yes exactly.

You can make a non-Beacon sign if you would turn off the marker and use the symbols for an arrow.

Man, the more I think about this, the more I want to see this as a feature in game.

I wanted to expand this post with The idea of Zorbsie. A marker on the compass to your home on the planet is an awesome idea. If you could have the option "Show on compass" or "set as home" in the settings of beacons seems to me as something that can be implemented.

I included the image that Zorbsie added in his/her post.

mockupcompass.thumb.png.ea545c0daca50c28af0a549d158c1f6e.png

Can we take advantage of the fact that the game is supposed to take place a few hundred years into the future? Couldn't we have some type of hologram or computer screen or something that is futuristic and more along the lines of eye candy? 

Looking at a compass, 500 years into the future? I'm just not buying it. 

Can't there be some form of some sort of interactive type of navigation am I still expected to use 18th century technology like signs and beacons? 
Can't we expect more from a game that is supposed to take place in the future?

I suggested an interactive hologram before:

On 3/6/2019 at 9:55 PM, Leautraint said:

More customization on beacons sounds like a solid plan to me.

When you placed a beacon you can open a menu by pressing F with the options to:

• Change color of marker and text
  • Toggle beacon marker on/off
  • Add text
  • Add symbols (resources, structures, objects, (compass) directions)

Here is how is imagine this:
Text and symbols can be shown as a little hologram floating above the beacon. When you want to use the beacon for directions you could point an arrow to a specific direction with maybe some custom text above the arrow. You can also choose to show a slowly turning hologram of a resource for marking storage or marking a deposit. The marker stays as it is now, if toggled on it is visible from a larger distance. The marker cannot be changed to text or other symbols.

Do you have something in mind for interactive navigation?

I think my aversion is to the 'beacon' I like the other stuff you posted but I just don't want to see a stupid beacon floating. A hologram port that has a light beam coming out of the top or some other type of futuristic type communications device. Not signs and beacons. They are for pre-release. Now that the game is released we should be demanding more than just some lipstick on a pig.
IMHO
And as we all know opinions are like butt holes in that we all have one

Touch of Grey...

All possible respect, but I was born without a butt-hole, and I'm horribly offended by you saying that "we all have one".  Every day of my life is a struggle to manage both my dietary intake, and my gut flora, to ensure that I don't build up toxic, deadly residuals in my limited digestive tract... 

Either that, or I have a totally-inappropriate sense of humor.

In related news... ooooooooohhhh.  Pig lipstick, yeah!

On 3/16/2019 at 12:22 PM, Leautraint said:

Do you have something in mind for interactive navigation?

I don't play SATISFACTORY (thinking about it purchasing it) however, would a similar navigation system work in Astroneer? 

Posted (edited)
On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 10:33 AM, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

I just don't want to see a stupid beacon floating

To clarify/expand on my previous, inane post (and not having seen anything about Satisfactory's nav system)...  I agree that having beacon markers sticking up out of the ground seems very "early access".  It sounds like the desire is for:

• something like the compass-marker that Zorbsie mocked up, but that is an above-ground holo-projection of the "beacon" location (or otherwise constantly-visible); so it doesn't require a mouse-over, and works when you're in a vehicle
  • enough customization to at least add something like "home base" or "massive Resin deposit #1"
  • some UI element/interaction to turn "beacons" on and off, remotely

Does that sound accurate?

Edited by Abram Jablonski

1 hour ago, Abram Jablonski said:

To clarify/expand on my previous, inane post (and not having seen anything about Satisfactory's nav system)...  I agree that having beacon markers sticking up out of the ground seems very "early access".  It sounds like the desire is for:

• something like the compass-marker that Zorbsie mocked up, but that is an above-ground holo-projection of the "beacon" location (or otherwise constantly-visible); so it doesn't require a mouse-over, and works when you're in a vehicle
  • enough customization to at least add something like "home base" or "massive Resin deposit #1"
  • some UI element/interaction to turn "beacons" on and off, remotely

Does that sound accurate?

Man, I like the way you think (and post)! Spot on my new friend!

The Touch of Grey Gamer and Abram Jablonski I would have to agree that the current marking system can use a major revamp, it seems that I can lose the beacons easily on one planet, but I move to another planet and it's almost as if it just appeared out of nowhere on the planet I just left. that seems kind of backwards. The beacons should be:

1. Visible on only the planet you are on (except from space in your shuttle)
  2. Easy to find (even through mountains and clouds)
  3. be able to be toggled on and off remotely 
  4. visually appealing
  5. customize-able 
  6. unique (to the game and player)
  7. fitting into the time period
  8. be able to be seen even underground (either the player or beacon is underground) 
  9. accessed easily and early on in the game

I was thinking of having a 3-D hologram that is portable but doesn't take up space on your backpack, I was thinking of it being kind of based off of the Destiny ghost in how it can be accessed by even beginners and it would "appear out of nowhere" when the correct button was pressed of course. It would be a giant sphere that would be in front of you that you can manipulate and spin around that would show you your location and the location of your beacons with little icons projecting from the sphere. When you lay down a beacon, it would give you the chance to name it and change the color (and possibly the image) of the icon on the hologram. The name would show up only after you click the little icon on the hologram though. Certain options would come up as well, you could choose to disable the beacon on the real planet (not the hologram), set a a way point (in which something like zorbsie's compass would appear at your feet with the direction of the beacon as well as a marker on the real world kind of like what we have right now for beacons), or you can re-enable the beacon but not set a way point but instead just have the marker on the world again kind of like what we have right now for beacons. The beacons should be able to be seen through the terrain and clouds as well. That's what I would think of at least if it is meant to please people, unlike the current version of the beacons.