BihtSift

Please improve vehicle steering: Here's how

I did some searches and couldn't find the solutions I'm suggesting to fix vehicle steering.  This information is probably already known and obvious, but I didn't find any solutions on the Trello board other than navigating over rocks.

The problem I have is that navigating rough terrain is difficult due to jack-knifing, where the back wheel of the front drive unit is rubbing against the trailer's front wheels behind it and so forth.  This is known as jack knifing.  Reversing is the worst.  The largest vehicle with multiple trailers is the hardest to steer due to this and not fun.

The solution: each trailer must also have steering (tiller or hook and ladder vehicle)

Game play suggestion:

• When steering in single player mode, by default trailers rear wheels should also turn up to 45 degrees in the opposite direction as most front attached vehicle (drive unit).
  • Stretch goals: In multiplayer but not necessary, putting a seat on the rear trailer would allow a second player to control the wheel of the rear trailer.
  • Optional: Enable this in research (though honestly, it's just unfun without it).

I agree.  +1 to this idea.  The jackknifing is frustrating.  You have some sound ideas on how to fix the problem, @BihtSift.

RE: Stretch Goals: Multiplayer The "hook and ladder" idea from the old fire trucks having a driver at the front and a driver to steer the back would actually be hilarious fun.  There was even an old arcade video game where you could do just that.  It was called Fire Truck from Atari (1978):

https://www.arcade-history.com/?n=fire-truck&page=detail&id=854 

atari-truck.jpg

On 3/3/2019 at 4:27 PM, Davenaut said:

I agree.  +1 to this idea.  The jackknifing is frustrating.  You have some sound ideas on how to fix the problem, @BihtSift.

RE: Stretch Goals: Multiplayer The "hook and ladder" idea from the old fire trucks having a driver at the front and a driver to steer the back would actually be hilarious fun.  There was even an old arcade video game where you could do just that.  It was called Fire Truck from Atari (1978):

https://www.arcade-history.com/?n=fire-truck&page=detail&id=854 

OMG I remember this game.  Yea the two player thing would be just for fun, and give passengers something to do but not really be able to troll too much ;)

I think it's great that the simulation is recreating a real-world problem. Jackknifing is part of trailer life. The solution is either don't use trailers or take a second to plan out your reverse. Best to start with only one trailer. It took a bit but I got used to reversing with 3 large rovers. 

Another quick trick is to disconnect your main rover then reconnect it to the opposite side of the trailers. That's a quick 180 without having to turn the trailers.

On 3/7/2019 at 7:12 PM, Gummarus said:

I think it's great that the simulation is recreating a real-world problem. Jackknifing is part of trailer life. The solution is either don't use trailers or take a second to plan out your reverse. Best to start with only one trailer. It took a bit but I got used to reversing with 3 large rovers. 

Another quick trick is to disconnect your main rover then reconnect it to the opposite side of the trailers. That's a quick 180 without having to turn the trailers.

Or move the seat...

I don't really have an issue with the driving as it is. The large rover should have more power it has problems getting up steep inclines it could also do with larger wheels or extended suspension to increase the ground clearance. The buggy could do with an upgrade to give it purpose and something to stop it rolling... (seriously I've had soccer balls that roll less). All vehicles need brakes, driving down slopes especially that sort you almost always end up digging is a pain.