BihtSift

Platforms above Large Platform B - Feels bad

I'm still working through my first play through.  I felt really excited to finally find Iron and be able to make additional platforms above Large Platform B.  I'd like to provide feedback on each platform I've tried above B:

Felt Good:

• Extra Large Platform B - I was really happy with this one.  I love the bleacher style tiers and the fact that the nodes are double linked so I can place medium items on them.  This felt good for the cost.

Felt Bad:

• Large Platform C - I was super disappointed to find out that the sides aren't linked double slots, so I can't actually attach medium storage to them to accompany a crafting module.
    • At a cost of 3 iron, it just isn't worth the extra 4 single slots for a total of 20 slots, and minimal space gain when I can spend 7 resin instead and have 16 slots.
      • Suggestions:
        • Each 2 nodes should be linked
        • Increase or reduce each side by 2 nodes to an even number pair (so that you can have a total of 2 or 3 medium items on them - storage, generators, research, etc)
  • Extra Large Platform A - Is this only purpose of this platform so you can place Extra Large Storage on it?  I don't see it being useful for crafting modules at all.  As, such it just doesn't seem worth the 4 iron plus the high cost of the Extra Large Storage when I can get more easier to access storage with the Extra Large Platform B.

It's possible I'm not understanding the use of some of these later game platforms, so I'm open to tips/suggestions as well.

2019-03-02 15_30_38-ASTRONEER.png

This may be obvious but I should add that using medium storage isn't *just* a way to increase the amount of items stored on a platform but also ease of use with smelting and storage.  Allow me to explain:

• I load up my rocket ship with empty medium storage
  • I go to some planet to farm it's unique resource
  • I unload the empty medium storage onto my tractor trailors
  • Farm materials
  • Load full medium storage onto rocket
  • Back at my main base, load full medium storage onto Platform that has a smelting furnace or large storage platform without having to move each raw material

Posted (edited)

Thinking the same thing.

Large platform B is cheap and versatile, and platforms above that doesnt see much use. From me, at least.

Would love to see a platform style with room for 2 crafting modules as well as a large amount of flat storage. Or maybe angled 45 degrees for easier access, but if based on medium storage, those must be in "flat" mode.

Or maybe the ability to connect platforms in a way that enables automatic resource transfer? Think about that for a moment. Just connect your roved and the base automatically grabs the resources and sends them to storage, or melts, or whatever. shouldnt be to difficult to implement considering rover trains already share materials like this.

Edited by Hermann

57 minutes ago, Hermann said:

Thinking the same thing.

Large platform B is cheap and versatile, and platforms above that doesnt see much use. From me, at least.

Would love to see a platform style with room for 2 crafting modules as well as a large amount of flat storage. Or maybe angled 45 degrees for easier access, but if based on medium storage, those must be in "flat" mode.

Or maybe the ability to connect platforms in a way that enables automatic resource transfer? Think about that for a moment. Just connect your roved and the base automatically grabs the resources and sends them to storage, or melts, or whatever. shouldnt be to difficult to implement considering rover trains already share materials like this.

As a player of Factorio and Oxygen Not Included, I thought for sure that connecting a platform full of storage to a platform with a crafting module would just transfer goods in the same way it automatically transfers to medium storage on it's own platform.  I felt like that would have been intuitive, but was sad it didn't work.