Sign in to follow this  
ssutcliffe

Tutorial should explain use of the 'smooth' tool

This is something that is not only not explained in the tutorial, it isn't even in the manual at all, as far as I could tell. This tool is not something that is going to be easy to figure out just by trying it. I went through unlocking 3 Gateway Cores without knowing there was any way to make a ramp pointing down, which made things very difficult, to say the least. I was using the alt-key extrude command, not knowing that 'smooth' actually let you not only make things even, but actually create ramps in any direction. Learning that made making ramps towards the Core fun, rather then a tedious dreadful chore. of trying to twisty tunnel through walls to go down without falling, and make switchback ramps that were narrow and easy to fall off from. 

It's a really important tool for digging, and it should be made clear to new players. One shouldn't be forced into looking for guides for something that basic and vital to game play. Perhaps when in the stage 'make a ramp', simply put text in about how the tool actually works, and suggest using it to make that ramp. It's important to know that you have to have something at the proper angle first to create a ramp using the smooth tool - and no one would simply guess that was the way it works.