Reetno

1.0.7.0 - Steam - Can no longer load save

Summary:

Can no longer load save.

Description: 

I had been playing the save since release of 1.0 and have managed to nearly complete everything in that file and was working toward unlocking all the gates to get the last achievement I can with out doing multiplayer. I played for a few hours yesterday, saved and quit, but the game did not fully close on its own and I had to shut it down using the task manager, that wasn't something new, I've had to shut the game down that way a few times and was still able to play fine.

However this time when I try to load up my save, the game freezes and if I don't already have the task manager up to shut it down it will cause my entire computer to freeze, because it starts to eat up my computer's memory like crazy.

I know I wasn't doing anything crazy with my game and I was making sure I was cleaning up everything I could or didn't use as I was moving around to try and reduce lag and such. I was in the middle of moving base to the satellite and moved almost all my stuff to it before I closed down the game before it wouldn't load anymore, so I don't know if that could have anything to do with it.

I am able to start a new game no problem, but being so close to the end and having to start over really kicks the wind out of me and makes me really not want to play the game anymore. That and I don't know if I get to that point again if it will just become unplayable again.

Platform:
Steam

Version / Build Number: 

Specifications:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1400 Quad-Core Processor, 3200 Mhz
  • GPU: Radeon 550 Series
  • RAM: 8GB (I can't find what type anywhere, this computer literally doesn't tell me what type. It just says 8GB of RAM.)
  • Drive: 1TB hard-drive. Don't know the brand or other stuff.

I get the same thing. Though before one time in 3 it would load. Now, it doesn't, at all. Dunno what's up. I thought it might be "game files", so I ran a check in Steam on them, Steam client says they're OK.

Same amount of system RAM, though lower spec'ed (I though that might be an issue, but I see it isn't that).

Edited by ericlnu

2 weeks the computer freezes due to an overflow of RAM when loading save, yesterday I found a solution to the problem on the forum, I hope this will help you too!
 ?: \ Steam \ SteamApps \ common \ ASTRONEER Early Access \ Astro \ Content \ Movies delete all videos with folders and try, I hope, helps
Edited by Beaver ღ

10 minutes ago, Beaver ღ said:

2 weeks the computer freezes due to an overflow of RAM when loading save, yesterday I found a solution to the problem on the forum, I hope this will help you too!
 ?: \ Steam \ SteamApps \ common \ ASTRONEER Early Access \ Astro \ Content \ Movies delete all videos with folders and try, I hope, helps

I tried that and it did not help at all. The game still freezes well trying to load the save.

I have a feeling that the very size of my save could be a factor since I can play other, smaller, save files no problem. I was trying to unlock all the gates on every planet which means I've been loading more of the planets... and if that is the reason why then that mean I'll never be able to get the achievement associated with unlocking the gates. Other then that it might have gotten corrupted some how so it can't load... I don't know... I can only guess. It just sucks to have to start from scratch with no way to speed things up.

I have the same bug. I can not download the game. I found out that the game does not load when the save file exceeds 3 MB (in my case). Installed 4 GB of RAM. PC - steam.

It seems that the game takes up all the RAM (along with the swap file), after which it stops working. Memory leak? Incorrect work with the swap file? Error saving?

On 2/28/2019 at 6:31 PM, ericlnu said:

I get the same thing. Though before one time in 3 it would load. Now, it doesn't, at all. Dunno what's up. I thought it might be "game files", so I ran a check in Steam on them, Steam client says they're OK.

Same amount of system RAM, though lower spec'ed (I though that might be an issue, but I see it isn't that).

1.0.9 update fixed this for me beautifully. Thanks devs

10 hours ago, ericlnu said:

1.0.9 update fixed this for me beautifully. Thanks devs

Well, I loaded it, 3, 4 times past coupla days. Worked like a charm. Now, same behaviour. Very very odd, and I don't understand what's going on. I'm having to kill the process in process hacker because it bloats to 8+ GB, and once even took down most of the OS (forcing a reboot) - I think "ShellExperienceHost" crashed so I had no desktop.

Win10 64bit, 8 GB RAM, IGPU: Intel HD 620 CPU: i5-7200U 7th gen

6 minutes ago, ericlnu said:

Well, I loaded it, 3, 4 times past coupla days. Worked like a charm. Now, same behaviour. Very very odd, and I don't understand what's going on. I'm having to kill the process in process hacker because it bloats to 8+ GB, and once even took down most of the OS (forcing a reboot) - I think "ShellExperienceHost" crashed so I had no desktop.

Win10 64bit, 8 GB RAM, IGPU: Intel HD 620 CPU: i5-7200U 7th gen

I just remembered something. It had crashed because I "suddenly" developed an issue with my sound drivers. Maybe it bloats because it's trying to gather debug/crash data to send out, but it hangs on something, so instead it just turns into a digital puffer fish.

6 hours ago, ericlnu said:

I just remembered something. It had crashed because I "suddenly" developed an issue with my sound drivers. Maybe it bloats because it's trying to gather debug/crash data to send out, but it hangs on something, so instead it just turns into a digital puffer fish.

Alright. Good news. I was able to load my 1.0.9 game just fine, as expected, with no memory bloating. In fact I unlocked Sylva and the satellite. One issue that occurred to me is I/O. My system is on a *slow* as heck HDD, 5400 RPM. When there's other apps sucking down bandwidth, it takes longer (as would be expected), and that might play a role in it bloating. Just a thought.

On 2/28/2019 at 5:13 PM, Reetno said:

Summary:

Can no longer load save.

Description: 

I had been playing the save since release of 1.0 and have managed to nearly complete everything in that file and was working toward unlocking all the gates to get the last achievement I can with out doing multiplayer. I played for a few hours yesterday, saved and quit, but the game did not fully close on its own and I had to shut it down using the task manager, that wasn't something new, I've had to shut the game down that way a few times and was still able to play fine.

However this time when I try to load up my save, the game freezes and if I don't already have the task manager up to shut it down it will cause my entire computer to freeze, because it starts to eat up my computer's memory like crazy.

I know I wasn't doing anything crazy with my game and I was making sure I was cleaning up everything I could or didn't use as I was moving around to try and reduce lag and such. I was in the middle of moving base to the satellite and moved almost all my stuff to it before I closed down the game before it wouldn't load anymore, so I don't know if that could have anything to do with it.

I am able to start a new game no problem, but being so close to the end and having to start over really kicks the wind out of me and makes me really not want to play the game anymore. That and I don't know if I get to that point again if it will just become unplayable again.

Platform:
Steam

Version / Build Number: 

Specifications:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1400 Quad-Core Processor, 3200 Mhz
  • GPU: Radeon 550 Series
  • RAM: 8GB (I can't find what type anywhere, this computer literally doesn't tell me what type. It just says 8GB of RAM.)
  • Drive: 1TB hard-drive. Don't know the brand or other stuff.

I have the same problem and same specs it is summer now and the new summer update has come out and still no fix :(