Cat's Eye

Show current latitude and longitude in compass.

Previous suggestions have said that the compass should include an indicator pointing to the nearest object with a built-in "beacon effect", like Shelters and vehicles.  Having on-screen numbers would involve a certain loss of simplicity -- there are no other numbers in-game, are there?

It is a PITA getting lost, ask me how I know ;). I think a heads-up compass would be great. Then you could see it walking around, or when you're in a vehicle. That having to get out of the car to check direction is a major PITA. However, being able to find your way back home is just one of the challenges in the game. Don't wander too far off without marking your path is something that folks need to learn. Beacons and making ground markings with the excavation tool make this easy, but you need to remember to do it before you get lost in the first place.

this is another keep it sanely simple idea  at the feet of the astroneer simply have the coordinates of the location they are standing....now it is up to the player to use a pencil and paper to write it down .  coordinates could be as simple as the center of an X by Y grid  habitat would mark  0,0      going north  and east would mark a cross in front of first number and going south and west a  dash in front of the second number numbers,,,,+23456 ,+l23453,,,would place you in  the northeast quad of the planet.......as -23456,-23453 is sou th west opposite of the previous point...  

On 3/28/2019 at 6:08 AM, Flyingcrowbar said:

I think a heads-up compass would be great. Then you could see it walking around, or when you're in a vehicle. That having to get out of the car to check direction is a major PITA.

I totally agree. Its insanely frustrating to have to get out of the rover every time you want to check your heading. I used to think a map would be awesome but that would take some fun out of the game. Although if it was a updating topographical map where you had to work out your position by the terrain, I think that could work. Then again, if it didn't update it would add an extra challenge when excavating the surface.

On 2/28/2019 at 9:51 AM, Cat's Eye said:

And the distance to the center of the planet can also be shown.

I don't know, wouldn't that make it too easy?

On 2/28/2019 at 5:51 PM, Cat's Eye said:

And the distance to the center of the planet can also be shown.

I think the ability to generate that should come from a reaserch activity. Perhaps reseach GPS, launch satellites, then get info

Sounds right.

Overall, it will also reduce the use of beacons and other things which are put just for the sake of orientation.
The less stuff thrown around the map - the better.