CaptKaspar

Why Is There Wreckage Found Everywhere?

We find broken or abandoned equipment everywhere. Littered on the surface of planets and found deep within cave biomes.

Why?

From a gameplay perspective they serve a vital role in providing salvage and the opportunity to find useful abandoned equipment. 

But from a lore/immersion perspective why is there wreckage and abandoned equipment everywhere?

Equipment can’t breakdown and there are no environmental threats (unless everyone before you fell into a pit or walked too close to the wrong plant). Seems like a stretch that with all the evidence of past exploration/colonization that everyone fell to the same two threats. Oxygenators don’t need power and our characters dont need food or water. So where did everyone go? 

The aliens came back and abducted everyone? Strange alien disease wiped everyone out? Everyone died of old age? Explorers were sent to these places, found lots of cool stuff and went home. Then after awhile they said “Hey, lets go there and do that again!”

It's a sandbox game, sit in the middle of it and make up your own story about it. Or google search Astroneer lore. The info is out there.

I was thinking on this last night - there's wreckage from people giving up. I can't count how many different platforms/bases/vehicles I've left on the endless string of planets I've gone through on this game. If all that trash was scattered, it would make sense for a loose kind of story line.

Reminds me of Dark Souls, with the ghosts of other players.

I just started playing a few days ago. The wreckage makes the game very forlorn and depressing.

These are the wreckage of shattered dreams, abandoned and hopeless, scattered across the planets of a solar system that is surprisingly devoid of colonization. This is in contrast with the bizarre, mysterious, and highly advanced technologies lurking deep within.

Apparently this is a deceptively hostile place that eventually kills or drives away everyone who dares venture onto its surface.

Perhaps one day the forces that created those advanced technologies will suddenly awaken the all planets... they will swallow me and everything I've done and then settle back into their quiet lurking, waiting for the next "explorer" / victim..

8 minutes ago, Plawerth said:

I just started playing a few days ago. The wreckage makes the game very forlorn and depressing.

These are the wreckage of shattered dreams, abandoned and hopeless, scattered across the planets of a solar system that is surprisingly devoid of colonization. This is in contrast with the bizarre, mysterious, and highly advanced technologies lurking deep within.

Apparently this is a deceptively hostile place that eventually kills or drives away everyone who dares venture onto its surface.

Perhaps one day the forces that created those advanced technologies will suddenly awaken the all planets... they will swallow me and everything I've done and then settle back into their quiet lurking, waiting for the next "explorer" / victim..

Naw, your way off. The wreckage is from Astroneers that have successfully completed their missions and have gone back home. They left the wreckage behind for anyone who follows to use as an aid or bonus. 

Yeah, I'm not buying the "depressing" line.  I only see a backpack (i.e. dead explorer) once in a blue moon.  Most of the debris you find is old platforms with some stuff installed.  I do this too, sometimes, if you get stuck somewhere and need a table to power some basic printing equipment to get back on your feet, or maybe make some power to open an Exo research pyramid, that sort of thing.

Posted (edited)

Hey I was told that I can create my own theories and stories for this blank page game with no backstory. You're harshing on my dark and depressing vibe. ☠️

Also due to the fact that the player's face cannot be seen, and that they can be just simply respawned out of nowhere from the "shelter" it seems very likely that the ambulatory bipedal critter is actually some sort of replicant, synthoid, or cyborg. As in the movie Avatar, the player is in fact permanently cocooned inside the Shelter structure with a brain-mind interface, and sends out robot avatars of themselves to explore. The mobile avatar uses an engine that runs on oxygen so that's why the air line and oxygen storage tanks are needed.

This also explains the strange fact that we can never see the world directly from the avatar's perspective, but rather from some sort of strange hovering drone-camera that always remains suspended in the air, just a short distance away from the player's avatar. Most of its power is being beamed to it from the avatar, hence the high oxygen consumption rate..

Edited by Plawerth

If you have completed the game, which is currently IMPOSSIBLE on Xbox because the game crashes EVERY TIME, you know what finding a dead Astroneer really means.