Large Storage with battery included

neraulin

Several threads and suggestions have discussed or at least touched the problem of having power storage on your vehicle (trains), increasing with vehicle size. Since the obvious solution (just taking a few batteries) usually is a tradeoff with available storage room, I would like to suggest a "large storage plus", which also holds a moderate amount of power. It would mostly look like the large storage we know, with the addition of some indication for the power held. The additional functionality would of course come with a price - research wise and in production costs.

Alternatively, the additional function could be put into an entirely new module, a "flatbed battery", which you could fit under a large storage or even a production module, for all you nomad base lovers... (it would simply pass through the connector nodes)

The flat bed variant would need to fit into the large shuttle... So I think this wouldn't be an option.

But the combined large storage/battery for like 2 steel, 1 lithium and 10k bytes would be good in my opinion.

I don't see anything wrong with plain large storage + medium battery slotted into it.

Possibly an alternative like a Large Storage B that has 3xT2 sockets and holds a small amount of power. Maybe as much as two small batteries. It wouldn't be as good as a large storage with a medium battery, but it'd be an alternative. Though even then it seems totally redundant to me, and kind of a waste of studio resources implementing it. I can't see a situation where this could be tuned in such a way as to not directly make the medium battery and large storage obsolete while filling some niche role of its own. Any way I turn it around it just looks like an underwhelming hybrid that's not as good. As always, I'm happy to be persuaded otherwise.

Well, I originally got the idea while reading on another thread how the low power capacity of the med and large rovers was "a joke", since you'd get only a little distance on that power alone.

People there suggested to increase the power storage capacity of the rovers or make them upgradeable. Others stated the reason for the low capacity was that rovers had been misused as cheap, lithium-free batteries in the past.

Thus my idea to integrate the power into the large storage (or flatbed). In itself, it cannot transfer power (no plugs) - the combined cost with a rover chassis would make the "cheap battery" exploit much less worthwhile...

9 hours ago, neraulin said:

Well, I originally got the idea while reading on another thread how the low power capacity of the med and large rovers was "a joke", since you'd get only a little distance on that power alone.

People there suggested to increase the power storage capacity of the rovers or make them upgradeable. Others stated the reason for the low capacity was that rovers had been misused as cheap, lithium-free batteries in the past.

Thus my idea to integrate the power into the large storage (or flatbed). In itself, it cannot transfer power (no plugs) - the combined cost with a rover chassis would make the "cheap battery" exploit much less worthwhile...

Well yes, it's not meant to be driven as is with just a seat on it. You have to anticipate its power draw and build it up accordingly.

The rovers are already upgradeable. The medum and large one, anyway. Even the buggy to some extent. Just like your backpack, you stick a battery on it to increase its battery capacity. You stick a power generator on it to improve its power generation. I think that's one of the core concepts of the design of equipment in this game - generic multi-purpose pieces with a common socket system that you can combine in creative ways.

I've personally never heard of the cheap battery exploit, but considering that the internet finds ways to break every game design, I believe it. But I'd argue those are cheesy min/maxer edge cases, and it would spoil the experience for everyone else if the game were to be balanced around them. To use another game as an example of a game design being ruined and taken in strange, uncomfortable directions from being balanced around cheesy exploits used by minmaxers, darkest dungeon.

Well, since I personally don't have a problem with the requirement of placing batteries onto the rover storage, I'll just leave it at that.

As I said, just had the idea while reading that other discussion.