Sign in to follow this  
Chromie

Exploration is weak.

This may be an opinionated post, but it’s a common opinion on this aspect of the game. You guys have got to do something to make us want to explore more of the planet other than just to look for the surface nodes. So far, every time I land on a new planet, after spending about an hour on it, I’ve already seen it all. I could go all the way around the planet and just be seeing the same formations and terrain the whole time, and this allows for so many opportunities to improve this. People have suggested map making (I think it’s somewhere on the roadmap too), which would give incentive to explore and fill up a map. I recently suggested you add more structures such as ancient alien ruins, which would be amazing in my opinion. Please consider these ideas and opinions on the current state of exploration in the game. I and many other people would like to have a better reason to explore these beautiful planets. Thanks for reading 

Edited by Chromie

In due time im sure they will add many and more complicated things. Lets work on stability and bug fixes to make the game work as intended before adding all these grand scale items.

We have to remember that this is a small software company with only this game under its belt, not a large one with loads of experience. 

Also, this game released for less than $30. If it released for $59.99 i'd understand your desire for more released content.

There are some absolutely amazing deep-planet biomes, such as the mushroom forest and sea anemones. Honestly, I wish they weren't only found so deep that you need to be heading to for the Core Gateway to find them though. Elements of both of those could have been great on the surface of Vasenia for instance. For a forest planet, a lot of it seems more like Mars - mostly barren. I would love to see more things on the surface, as well as the really deep earth. It might be that more is not on the surface because of vehicles though. Trees are a pain when you are trying to use any sort of a rover.

Not to mention there's no material drive to explore. I.e. to find more resources. You're basically set for the entire game after cleaning out one or at most two resource deposits.

There really isn’t anything worth finding exploring after the first couple of hours of play. 

Initially its nice to find a battery, a medium wind turbine, some rarer ores etc on debris that you come across exploring. But pretty shortly into playing you easily have the resources necessary to just make what you need. 

Then the only reason to explore is to find the alien structures to activate the teleportation system, which is cool and all, but not necessary. But even to find these you aren’t really exploring, since after finding one on a planet you have an extremely good idea where the rest are. 

So yeah theres gotta be some infusion into exploring that drives us to do it. 

Maybe some rare power-ups that last until your character dies? Drill 25% faster, have 50% more oxygen, etc. These rare finds wouldn’t take up an inventory slot. Theyre more like upgrades to your suit. When you die you lose the perk? This way it gives you an incentive not to die. 

Just last night I unloaded my inventory and jumped to my death on purpose. It was the quickest way back to base to get the items I needed and there was no penalty for my death 🤷‍♂️

On 2/26/2019 at 4:32 PM, nobillyno said:

In due time im sure they will add many and more complicated things. Lets work on stability and bug fixes to make the game work as intended before adding all these grand scale items.

We have to remember that this is a small software company with only this game under its belt, not a large one with loads of experience. 

Yeah I agree. This suggestion is for later development. Right now I have stopped playing until they fix the 1.0.8 suits glitch where the suits still don’t unlock when you activate the nodes and core on a planet. Very dissaopointing when you do all that work and don’t even get the cool suit 

3 hours ago, CaptKaspar said:

Maybe some rare power-ups that last until your character dies? Drill 25% faster, have 50% more oxygen, etc. These rare finds wouldn’t take up an inventory slot. Theyre more like upgrades to your suit. When you die you lose the perk? This way it gives you an incentive not to die. 

Just last night I unloaded my inventory and jumped to my death on purpose. It was the quickest way back to base to get the items I needed and there was no penalty for my death 🤷‍♂️

Way too gamey, I think, as is intentionally jumping to your death to teleport back to base. What would've been a much more interesting and immersive game experience, I think, is playing as if permadeath was active and you couldn't cheese the lack of a death penalty to get around.

3 hours ago, Bomoo said:

Way too gamey, I think, as is intentionally jumping to your death to teleport back to base. What would've been a much more interesting and immersive game experience, I think, is playing as if permadeath was active and you couldn't cheese the lack of a death penalty to get around.

Love the realism, but jeez. Imagine dying of one of those glitches that launches you into space and you fall back to the planet and die of fall damage. I would like to see it added but only as a preference, or an option. Like hardcore mode in Minecraft.

6 hours ago, Chromie said:

Love the realism, but jeez. Imagine dying of one of those glitches that launches you into space and you fall back to the planet and die of fall damage. I would like to see it added but only as a preference, or an option. Like hardcore mode in Minecraft.

Well yeah, those are out of your control. I'm just saying I personally always play as if it's my only life, so no abusing the lack of a severe death penalty for quick teleports. If I get lost, I'll try to find my way back as opposed to suiciding back to base. If I do happen to die to something, however, I don't delete my save or anything. My point is you don't need a death penalty to set rules for how you want to play, and that you may find playing without cheesing the respawn system more satisfying.

Edited by Bomoo