neal121

Requests from aged player - map, backpack optimizer, better beacons, tether fixes, and more

Hello. I have 124 hours of Astroneer - dating back to the game showing up on EA all that time ago. I remember when we built with those goofy platforms and the lines and placing them was odd and when I could fly through the ground on a rover or when it would flip a mile in the air...

I have spent some hours on the release version and had really hoped some features would have made it into the game. Even if some of these requests required some intense bytes to unlock that would be fine.

Map & Better Beacon:

A map would be great to have to help figure out the planet and such. But instead of a standard map that unlocks as the player explores - what about either a satellite we could send up above the planet? It would just launch from the landing platform. Then we could see a gps like feature on our backpacks.

Beacons play into this... What if the same map could show important beacon landmarks? Stuff like that.

Player could unlock this with a bunch of bytes to get the satellite, map, and gps unit.

Backpack Optimizer:

Maybe more slots is not the answer as I am sure lots of people want. (or it is,  I am not designing this lol) I am fine with just adding more slots too though.

What if we had another area on the pack just for the special stuff like tethers, solar/wind, oxygen pack, stuff like this? I find myself walking into a deep cave with all 3 gun attachments, oxygen, canister, tethers, etc. That doesnt leave me a lot of space going deep down into a cave for supplies then going back.

Tether Fixes : This is simple. Please help fix the tether lag more! thanks

Thanks!

Agreed all that stuff would be great. For the backpack I wish they'd give us the ability to upgrade it. I hate wasting slots for modules. It would be great to have expanded battery and oxygen storage upgrades that are permanent.

+1 to all except the backpack slots, i think the idea of upgrade the backpack is better!

Upgrade the backpack AND the terrain tool!!! maybe add skill system or research unlock where you can spend points

spending bytes for added backpack slots

invest points into your tool to slowly increase mining speed and width

maybe allow us to upgrade internal battery/oxygen tank?

I've had the suggestion to do this kind of unlocks via the research chamber.

Love the ideas. I have played off and on for months pre release and flat love the current content. I am a hoarder/gatherer type player. I have like 60k in research points and all things researched. Wish I could 'spend' those points somehow - maybe via the trade platform or a data "platform" (something else to research lol) and a data package. We would have a reason to keep on researching. Might even add them post credits as 'new' things for those who keep on playing that specific game?

I like the idea of the map but I wouldn't want it on the backpack. It would be cool if the map kind of worked like the map in the scanner room in Subnautica. 

As for beacons, it would be great if the nearest shelter, vehicle, beacon and your body, if one, show up on the compass. Maybe this feature only works within the area covered by the map satellite network.

I definitely would like to see improvements in the navigation system. I find it so hard to find my stuff, even after setting up a dozen beacons that are all just in line of sight of each other. I'm an hour in to a new game after getting things figured out in the last one, just built a tractor and went for a drive... I'm thinking it'll be quicker picking a place and starting from scratch than continuing trying to find my starting location.

A couple of things I would suggest are:

• Show the nearest beacon(s), maybe one of each colour, as lines on your compass. The existing compass is a nice thought, but unless I find a pole and build there, it hasn't helped me much.

• You should be able to bring the compass up when you mouse over yourself in a vehicle as well

• A holographic sphere that you can bring up in the backpack or another menu, showing all your placed beacons on this planet

If we can get (some of) these implemented, I'd also like to be able to turn off the visible beacon markers.

Also, what's up with being able to see beacons on another planet?

The map I think would be a hard thing to implement. Everyone wants to keep track of what parts of the planet's surface they have explored, but I think getting a map to track surface coverage in a terrain generator that is so much more complex is harder than people think. Especially when you have parts of the surface that open up to deep caverns below, which are technically part of the underground cave system.

Backpack optimization is a tough one too, I think it boils down to a couple things - is it more fun to have multi-purpose slots so you have to choose between lots of utility or lots of resource storage? Or is it more fun to have a certain number of slots allocated to utilities, and then a static amount of resource storage? It seems SES has decided the first one is better, but the 2nd one is worth thinking about and discussing. Maybe it would be better to section off the backpack slots so that the terrain tool slots can only hold augments, shoulder slots can only hold utilities (and maybe there are more of them), and then the main backpack slots are your wildcards that can hold anything. This way most players would have plenty of slots for all the utilities they need, and generally could afford to leave the wildcard slots empty for looting.

Upgrade #1 Lights are built into your helmet. 2 lights one on each side and LED's so they are small not like we have now some freakin Liberace candelabra on our backpacks! 

Upgrade #2 push the Q button and two not one but two backpack slots of 10 are available/useable 

Upgrade #3 push the Q button and three not one or two but three backpack slots of 10 are available/useable

Now, these are all optional. A player that only wants to play with 13 slots can. Or if someone only wants to unlock the 2nd upgrade or all three. Can't the backpack be moved from pre-release into version 1.0? Can't we expect a little bit of 'future' when upgrades are created considering we are supposed to be playing this game hundreds of years into the future. I've got a LED light in my bathroom but my Astroneer traveling to multiple planets is still carrying a florescent bulb? 

8 hours ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

I've got a LED light in my bathroom but my Astroneer traveling to multiple planets is still carrying a florescent bulb? 

YES!  Upgrades like that would be awesome.