When turned on, it quickly refills your oxygen at the cost of power. It takes about a full backpack's worth of power storage to refill your backpack's entire oxygen bar. Without any power source it's weaker than just throwing an extra oxygen tank on your backpack, but if you have a small turbine or something then it becomes pretty useful. Put it on a shoulder slot and use the context keys (C/V by default) to turn it on and off as needed so you don't waste power. Always keep your backpack's power just a little under full so you can tell when your turbine kicks in, and then turn on the oxygenator to make use of the incoming power.

Just to add to Petrataur's comment.  The small generator fills the backpack power 2.5 times and the full backpack power will refill the oxygen tank once, so a generator with a single organic gets you 2.5 backpack oxygen.  It is rare for me to need more than that while wandering away from tether lines in a cave (or falling out of range).  However, if you are just doing lots of exploring without tethers (like when you first land and are looking for resources), having it powered by wind or sun is better.

A second addition to the great advice from Petrataur and Flashman...

Keep in mind that Tethers won't just provide oxygen and power, but a way back to where you came from. Yes, this is rather obvious (pun intended), but it's so worth mentioning it. 
You don't want to find yourself in a dark and large cave, so excited using your brand new Portable Oxygenator only to turn around and not have a clue of what direction you came from.
Just my 2 cents.

AT

12 hours ago, Astroneer Tips said:

A second addition to the great advice from Petrataur and Flashman...

Keep in mind that Tethers won't just provide oxygen and power, but a way back to where you came from. Yes, this is rather obvious (pun intended), but it's so worth mentioning it. 
You don't want to find yourself in a dark and large cave, so excited using your brand new Portable Oxygenator only to turn around and not have a clue of what direction you came from.
Just my 2 cents.

AT

Tethers:
I hate them! Did Columbus, Magellan, Lewis & Clark have tethers?
So I'm an explorer, an explorer of other planets but I can't get lost? EVER!!!! Am I really an explorer? Really? Aren't I just a sightseer if I have ZERO chance of getting lost?
I'm given an oxygenator that has to be tethered! Huh? But wait, I thought the purpose of an oxygenator is to live tether free! Why else would I have one? 

Here's a fun fact: When the game was released way back in December of 2016, there were NO tethers! OH MY!

In order for me to use this replacement for tethers I need to attach to tethers for power? Or, use up valuable backpack space for power, to power the oxygenator! Or in other words, not worth it! Why does that stupid oxygenator need to be powered? That is so freakin stupid it is mind blowing! "Here is a tool so you don't have to be tethered the only issue is you will need tethers for the power it needs to operate!" 

This just proves my theory that SES staff do not play the game. They work on the game but they just don't play the game. This piece of equipment just makes no sense. I can has free oxygen but I have to remain tethered for the power it needs to create said free oxygen???????????????? WWWWHHHHHAAAATTTTTTT??????? 

Please AT explain to me how I am an explorer if I am 100% of the time tethered. If as an explorer I can never ever not once get lost, can you name the explorer in history that happened to? Hell, back in the 1960's real American human astronauts were not tethered! Why in a game that is supposed to take place 400+ years into the future I'm forced to be tethered?
Why is it that the tool SES provided me to breath without tethers is reliant on tethers for power? WTF?!?!?!?!? 

I've unlocked 7 gateways, 7 cores, traveled to 7 planets, acquired every item and created every item available, created every chemical compound, built each and every item available, achieved most (those that will unlock) achievements, I've done nearly everything this game has to offer, I've done and created it all. You know what has never happened during that entire time? Not once have I gotten lost. Not once have I come close to being lost. Not once. That is the definition of a game of exploration? Space exploration? Planetary exploration? 

Edited by The Touch of Grey Gamer

TTGG,

I do understand where you're coming from. And I do agree with you on many (if not all) points you make. 

I wish I had the time to address every one of them. But I will say this, that like in most things, there's more than one style/flavour/preference/etc, and how anyone plays Astroneer is no exception. The way I see it, one of those styles is like a true explorer (as you were describing before). Another one could be more cautious, taking fewer risks, etc. And of course, there're many more. Also, let's not forget that each of these styles has their reasons to be the way they are. So, yeah, it can get complicated. Because after all, let's face it, as much fun "exploring" is (one of my favourite parts), there is more to Astroneer than that.

But to address your question as to how can one be an explorer if he/she is 100% tethered? 
I guess answering that would take us to the argument about there being different styles, which can get very convoluted if you know what I mean.
However, like you, when I used my first Portable Oxygenator and noticed its need for power (and that the amount needed is considerable too) I thought: Well, this kind of defeats the purpose! In my opinion, that could be where one is to find a junction point: either go with it carrying a source of power (or 2) constantly. Or go with tethers. 
Maybe our problem is that we're thinking right off the bat that this device is here to solve ALL OF OUR OXYGEN PROBLEMS. But as we have already found, it is not. It is rather here just to be one more tool in our toolbox. And why and when we'll choose it, it'll depend on not just our preferences, but also the circumstances at hand. Beyond wanting to have an easy way back when turning around or not, one is to also consider whether there'll be the resources needed to either power your P.O. (organic, sunlight, wind), or to make tethers (compound). E.g., if you know in advance that the planet you're going to will have plenty of both sunlight and wind, and no compound. Then I would think the P.O. is the best choice. 

Again just my 2 cents (nothing else).

I hope that helped :)

Cheers!

P.S. Sorry about the lengthy response, it was supposed to be shorter (rolling eyes)

Edited by Astroneer Tips

Oxygen management is a part of Astroneer. I think the RTG is too powerful as it is, but having free oxygen would trivialize the entire game. That's why they will never make that 1-slot RTG people keep asking for.

That said, since I got my portable oxygenator I have been powering it solely with 1 small turbine and have completely ditched tethers. I get myself lost all the time because I'm careless, and it gets my heart pumping managing my oxygen and power (and saying prayers to the wind god) while I figure out where the hell I am. I've gotten close to dying, but it hasn't happened yet. On planets with low wind, I believe all I would need to do is add a 2nd small turbine and I would be able to sustain myself indefinitely.

Your concerns are very understandable when you look at the portable oxygenator on paper (I thought it would be useless too). But I think if you make one and give it a try you will feel differently.

3 hours ago, Petrataur said:

Oxygen management is a part of Astroneer. I think the RTG is too powerful as it is, but having free oxygen would trivialize the entire game. That's why they will never make that 1-slot RTG people keep asking for.

That said, since I got my portable oxygenator I have been powering it solely with 1 small turbine and have completely ditched tethers. I get myself lost all the time because I'm careless, and it gets my heart pumping managing my oxygen and power (and saying prayers to the wind god) while I figure out where the hell I am. I've gotten close to dying, but it hasn't happened yet. On planets with low wind, I believe all I would need to do is add a 2nd small turbine and I would be able to sustain myself indefinitely.

Your concerns are very understandable when you look at the portable oxygenator on paper (I thought it would be useless too). But I think if you make one and give it a try you will feel differently.

I tried to use many sources of power for the oxygenator however............ the only thing that works reliably is tethers. Batteries just don't last. I've tried the wind turbine however, not always and on every planet is it windy. I've tried the portable generator but having to collect organic all the time is just a chore. Plus, when in caves, less organic. No matter what it seems more and more super valuable backpack slots get taken. I want more backpack slots not fewer.

I disagree that having free oxygen would trivialize the game, at all. You said yourself it gets your heart pumping! What else do you want out of a game?!?! You ain't gettin your heart pumpin tethered to tethers. 
Having free oxygen would make the game so much more exciting to me. I could actually get lost and die? Just like a real explorer? YES GIMMIE!!!! GIMMIE!!!
I'm 99% sure that when oxygen tanks fill up zero energy is used so why can't the oxygenator work without energy when tanks do? 

Then I'll read a post where someone wants us to have some form of death. Zombies, plants, animals, UFO's or whatever because currently they never die, they never get their heart pumpin, they just, place tether, follow like sheep, place tether, follow like sheep, place tether......

To me my suggestion it is a no brainer. You be happy tethered me be happy without. We can still play MP together. We can be very happy playing SP. I can't think of a single issue with both of us being happy. 

Now let's look at it this way. The portable oxygenator needs power yet the oxygenator does not? HUH? If that giant one does not need power to work why would portable one need power to work? 

When I do exploration I use a rover with RTG as refilling station. In my backpack are 4 batteries, 1 oxygen tank and the oxygenerator plus 4 packager when I found rare items. Tool has dirt can, drill mod and expander. With this I can dig, build and explore free for enough time. More then I need. It’s so long then I ofen forget that I need power refill 😅. It’s easy possible to round a quarter planet. Depends on tool use much more. But who wants to go so far when you can drive? ;) Who has problems with navigation and orientation can left one beacon at the rover and can replace 2 of the packager with other beacons. It’s works for me on surface and underground.  When I farm stuff than I reduce the batteries to 1 or 2 and have only oxytank and oxygenerator and the Rover as near as possible.

Greets

The problem I see with the portable oxygenator is that the amount of research, difficulty obtaining the resources required, and complexity of its production simply do not come close to equaling its utility. It is such a burden to use it that you could give it away at the beginning of the game and people still wouldn't use it or attempt to build it. No wonder people feel cheated.

I like the idea of the device being powered and therefore not simply eliminating oxygen as a long term game element, but I think the energy consumption should be brought way down. I've tried various configurations and all of them are so burdensome with the power going away so quickly that you spend MORE time on oxygen management rather than less.

1 hour ago, haydown said:

The problem I see with the portable oxygenator is that the amount of research, difficulty obtaining the resources required, and complexity of its production simply do not come close to equaling its utility

Ok at this point I must agree. 

I really don't know where all the hate is coming from!

Recently I've been spending my time setting up a small base on every planet's north pole. I land at the nearest natural landing spot, drive to the north pole and set up, then I have to run back to the shuttle to bring it to my new landing pad. The PO with 1 small turbine lets me easily get back to my shuttle, even though the marker is past the horizon and I'm not always sure exactly what direction it's in. Plus I can take my time investigating small finds and grabbing stuff on the way.

With a PO + 1 small turbine on various planets:

- High wind: You can easily sustain yourself forever.

- Medium wind: You will be cutting it close, I've almost died here and there but haven't so far. And I wander around a lot.

- Low wind: You definitely can't sustain yourself forever, but generally by the time I run out of both oxygen and power, I'm pretty sure I've refilled my bar at least a couple times, making it a better setup than the alternative 2 small oxygen tanks.

On 2/25/2019 at 4:16 PM, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

I disagree that having free oxygen would trivialize the game, at all. You said yourself it gets your heart pumping! What else do you want out of a game?!?! You ain't gettin your heart pumpin tethered to tethers.

By that I meant my heart gets pumping because I'm thinking about my oxygen! With a free oxygen source there would be no excitement.

I think Astroneer Tips has it right, think of the PO as another option, not a magic bullet oxygen cure. It's high-cost high-reward. If you want to make the most of it, you have to invest a little more backpack space. But if you do it right, it certainly can give you infinite oxygen.

Haven't used one yet, but what about 1 or 2 O² tanks along with the oxygenator? Has anyone tried this setup?

11 hours ago, Bushmills said:

Haven't used one yet, but what about 1 or 2 O² tanks along with the oxygenator? Has anyone tried this setup?

Sure have, however it is the power needed to operate the oxygenator that is the issue. Small wind turbines and small solar panels don't produce enough energy to keep the oxygenator going. To have enough battery power one needs the backpack would have to increase in size exponentially.  
I've tried using the small generator. The issue there is that organics only provide a short amount of time with power. So I needed multiple organics in my backpack which prevents one from using their backpack for anything other than organics to power the oxygenator. Think about it, if one is using the oxygenator one is not near tethers as why would one?
In addition I spent the vast majority of my time trying to find organics (I was in a cave) than exploring or doing anything else. Then when I found something or multiple things I wanted to bring back to base I had NO backpack room due to having to carry multiple organics to power the oxygenator. 

Unless there is another power source that works better I can't figure out how the devs intended this thing to work for the benefit of the player. They recognized that having to be tethered is an issue, obviously, or they would not have provided the small oxygenator to begin with. However, this is not a solution.

So to prove or disprove my point I watched dozens upon dozens upon dozens of videos on the utube. I literally could not find a single one, not one, where anyone, absolutely anyone was using an oxygenator. I watched videos that lasted longer than an hour, not one used. I watched videos of end game, not one used. Videos where travel to other planets and not one was used. In MP, not one was used. I watched videos where the oxygenator was unlocked. I watched them being tested or showing the viewer how they operate however after that, no one used them.

I guess I don't understand why my Astroneer's movement can't provide the energy needed to operate the oxygenator. It is a filter for crying out loud! It pulls in atmosphere, oxygen goes into tank, other gases back into atmosphere! The large oxygenator in game does that now. Just sayin. A rover without battery power provides oxygen. Just sayin. This game is supposed to take place hundreds of years into the future. Just sayin. 

Think about it, the amount of time one has to play a single session to unlock the portable oxygenator by that time everything else has already been constructed. It is a late game unlock. If someone is playing that long to unlock it, and then has the guts to actually play tether free, why in the hell can't it be basically free to use? Seriously, why design something to be a penalty to use? No different than the cruise control in my car not being operable until I reach 100 MPH. Sure it is a feature but seriously.............

I use the portable oxygenator all the time and I really think it works quite well. My setup is usually one battery and one or two oxygen tanks plus something to recharge my battery - turbine, solar panel og generator - depending on where I am and what I'm doing. They could maybe nerf the power consumption slightly, but I think having unlimited oxygen would break the game. Having to plan and solve these small obstacles is what makes the game fun! 

Being totally free is perhaps something that would fit better into the creative mode.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Dr Blake said:

I use the portable oxygenator all the time and I really think it works quite well. My setup is usually one battery and one or two oxygen tanks plus something to recharge my battery - turbine, solar panel og generator - depending on where I am and what I'm doing. They could maybe nerf the power consumption slightly, but I think having unlimited oxygen would break the game. Having to plan and solve these small obstacles is what makes the game fun! 

Being totally free is perhaps something that would fit better into the creative mode.

As I have always stated, it could simply be a player option. I don't want tethers. I want to roam free but don't want to have to take up half of the backpack slots just to do so. I don't understand why everything has to be mutually exclusive..................... but hey to each his own

Edited by The Touch of Grey Gamer

I just tried your method @Dr Blake. 3 minutes. 3 minutes of freedom is all I got. On the surface or in caves makes no difference. One battery, one solar, one wind, two tanks = 3 minutes. 
I was hoping for much much more than just a 3 measly minutes. 

1 minute ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

I just tried your method @Dr Blake. 3 minutes. 3 minutes of freedom is all I got. On the surface or in caves makes no difference. One battery, one solar, one wind, two tanks = 3 minutes. 

What planet? Are you mounting it on a shoulder slot and using a context key to turn it on and off?

Try PO + 1 small turbine on high wind planets. On medium or low wind planets, try PO + 2 turbines.

I wouldn't bother with generators, as you stated, the need to hoard organic is too annoying. I also wouldn't bother with spare O2 tanks, as they don't help your sustainability, only your total time relying on PO when you can't sustain (which you shouldn't do IMO).

Oh, another tip, if you're trying to keep your oxygen and power topped off indefinitely (which you should be able to do with 1 turbine on a high wind planet), don't sprint. You consume oxygen faster when you sprint. Moving without sprinting consumes oxygen at the same, slower rate as standing still.

@Petrataur that sure seems like a lot of hoops to jump through just to use a filter. 

I was on Sylvia. With one battery, one wind, one solar, two oxygen tanks, 3 - 4 minutes tops. Now if I use the deform tool, then no power. So that was 6 of the 13 slots taken for a piece of equipment that lasts 4 minutes tops, if you don't move or use anything......................... SES steps up to the plate...........and the pitch...........SWING AND A MISS!

So I can't run, can't use the deform tool, can't walk......................... just remain perfectly still and I too can use the oxygenator! 

Well, that makes sense that I can only use it on certain planets in certain conditions. Because the smelter only works on a few planets and the atmospheric condenser as well, and the large printer works on only those three planets while the shredder only works on those 4 over there................. 

Okay, a few things.

Ditch the battery, solar, and O2 tanks. They don't help you enough to earn their slot.

Sylva is medium wind so take 2 turbines. That's 3 slots reserved for this - 1 PO and 2 turbines.

I never said you have to stand still. Jogging uses the same oxygen as standing still. I'm only saying that you should avoid sprinting when possible.

If you're using terrain tool augments, that's a whole other variable. In that case we're no longer talking about just PO power consumption. Anyway, I've never felt the need to use anything beyond the drill mod, and even then, you don't always need it. Take it off when digging basic soil to not waste power. For QoL reasons I wish they would make it only consume power when it's digging terrain that requires it, but that's a different discussion.

Some of this might be obvious but I want to make sure I'm being as clear as possible. When you get wind, turn on the PO. Turn it off when your tank is full and let your power top off from the wind. At that point feather the PO so your oxygen and power are both as close to full as possible. When you lose wind, just make sure you have a little less than full power in your backpack. That way, when the wind comes back, you'll know because you'll hear the beep of your backpack power maxing out again. Then just repeat the process.

Now if this is an annoying amount of work, then I understand that, but if you do the above, you WILL sustain yourself forever.

Hello to the whole community. I apologize for my poor knowledge of English, so I will use translators (in advance I ask for possible errors :c )

I really like Astroneer and every update makes the game even better. And relatively recently added a compact oxygen generator. After reading it a major version I was sure that I would receive an unlimited supply of oxygen and can freely puteshevstvovat on the planet, naslajdat landscapes. I had to spend a lot of time and build a few small bases on other planets in order to get a nanocarbon alloy (not to mention collecting and researching samples to get bytes). And this long-awaited moment, I can enjoy the landscape... but no. The generator consumes a lot of energy.

Before the creation generator I wore 5 oxygen tanks. This allows you to go far into the caves and explore the area. But I was constantly annoyed by the small number of remaining space in the inventory. I always carry a flashlight, which is on the active slot in the place with the fifth tank of oxygen, for use in caves and at night.

I apologize for the extra information, but it will be useful for the full transfer of my bad mood. The oxygen generator needs to be charged, the best way to get energy is probably a small wind generator (because it can get energy under the ground), although it belongs to "unstable energy sources". For its operation, you need an additional slot. Total we have 2 active slots-oxygen generator and wind generator. However, energy is consumed too quickly, so you need to take at least one small battery. Even if you remove the 2 oxygen tanks from my inventory, less space will not, because you need somewhere to place the flashlight and the battery... As I wrote above. I use a flashlight only at night or in caves, during the day it is too bright and a little annoying. If it is in an inactive slot, you will have to interact with it through opening the inventory, which is very annoying. And if you look for the remaining supply of oxygen and energy consumption...

I want to play relatively calm and leisurely, exploring every corner of the new planet and extracting the necessary resources. I was hoping a little oxygen generator would help me with that. But in the end, I have to stay close to the pillars of oxygen, constantly looking back to search for markers to not get lost; or to ride in a small car (although it is not always convenient, especially with the new terrain of caves). It is very hard for me to realize this, I was very disappointed 😭 .

I believe that in the future the game will only get better. As they say in our country: criticize-offer. How can a compact oxygen generator be improved:

1) it gives unlimited supply of oxygen
   + the ability to pay off expensive craft
   + a peaceful journey through the world
   - make the gameplay much easier, which can affect the desire to play in the far

2) Lower energy consumption
   perhaps the most obvious option of all

3) Change mechanics (?)
   I thought about it during the game and here's my thought. If the generator is not activated, it will work, but slowly, producing less oxygen than the consumption itself by about 25%. In this case, the player can move further away from the base without additional oxygen cylinders, but he is forced to replenish oxygen by activating a compact oxygen generator, or return to the base. In this option, you can leave the current energy consumption of the compact oxygen generator and shoot at two targets at once: benefit and balance.

I will be very happy if my messages will pay attention to the development team Astroneer. If someone from the community wants to respond to my message, keep in mind that I use a translator and can misunderstand some points.

15 hours ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

As @Petrataur is saying; you have to turn the PO on and off. Not only can you sustain yourself for a long time, but also your team mates:)

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

@Petrataur

Because the smelter only works on a few planets and the atmospheric condenser as well, and the large printer works on only those three planets while the shredder only works on those 4 over there................. 

Wuh? What kind of wacky equipment do you use? All of those machines work on every planet. Unless there's a bug I don't know about. The only one of those you mentioned that works differently is the atmospheric condenser, bc not all gasses are available on every planet. But it still works on them to collect the gasses that are available. I think the only planet that might not have a gas to collect is Desolo. 

Edited by MAJOR WOODS