Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, MAJOR WOODS said:

All of those machines work on every planet. Unless there's a bug I don't know about.

He mean ironic and a little bit overdone...😉

Edited by ÐαηκɵƼʘ

7 hours ago, Dr Blake said:

As @Petrataur is saying; you have to turn the PO on and off. Not only can you sustain yourself for a long time, but also your team mates:)

Wait what?? I haven't played any multi so I wouldn't know, but does the PO create tethers between you and other players while it's on? Does it increase power consumption to fill multiple players' tanks or the same amount as 1 tank? This adds a whole other layer of benefit that I didn't even realize.

18 minutes ago, Petrataur said:

Wait what?? I haven't played any multi so I wouldn't know, but does the PO create tethers between you and other players while it's on? Does it increase power consumption to fill multiple players' tanks or the same amount as 1 tank? This adds a whole other layer of benefit that I didn't even realize.

Yes, other players can get O2 while the PO is active, if they are standing near you or near tethers connected to you. It takes the same amount of power, but you need to have your generator turned on or have another power source active beforehand for it to last long enough for you & your friends. 

31 minutes ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

Twas the point I was making @MAJOR WOODS I was being sarcastic/facetious  

😅 Sorry. I have a really tough time picking up on sarcasm. Especially when it's in text form. 

Ok, so here is the thing. I want to explore like real explorers in history did, without tethers. I want to have the opportunity, the chance to get lost. Just flat out get lost. Just like the explorers before me did. 
I have nearly 1k hours played. As long as I have played the game I have not been lost once. Why? Because I've been tethered 100% of the time just like all of you. 

Now, the solution to the Portable Oxygenator, of turning it on and off really does not apply to someone like me who wants to truly be an explorer. An untethered real Astroneer.

Since this game is supposed to take place hundreds of years into the future, I'm just super confused as to why in hundreds of years, hundreds of years, I have to remain tethered. In hundreds of years no technology was introduced that would allow tether free play? How does using an PO qualify for sandbox only. I'd argue that the game is flawed in that players are forced to use tethers when this game is supposed to take place in 2400? 2500? Me wanting an PO that works is not flawed. I'm following what little story there is and well, "come on!" (Peter Griffin voice)

It is NOT mutually exclusive. If I'm playing my game with a portable oxygenator that does what it should, then how does it cheapen your game? If you don't want to play tether free. If you don't want to ever, not once ever, have the opportunity to get lost. Then don't. I don't care. But for those of us that want a true, or as true as this game can produce at this time, explorer experience then we should be able to play tether free, from the beginning of the game. Not some multi hour wait until multiple things have to be built and achieved and resources and yadda yadda yadda. It should be just as easy to play with the PO as it is with tethers.

And here is the kicker to the entire thing......It is much more difficult to play, I mean much much much more difficult to play = tether free. If anything, we should have separate achievements due to the level of difficulty tether free play brings. 

Tethers are effin ugly! The game is beautiful, and tethers are butt ugly. Tethers float. Seriously, still. Tethers cause lag. A lot of lag. An OP has zero lag! 

The PO should be an early game unlock
The PO should only need my Astroneers movement to keep it powered 
The PO should only be used by the most experienced and skillful of players..... newbs need not apply 

7 minutes ago, MAJOR WOODS said:

😅 Sorry. I have a really tough time picking up on sarcasm. Especially when it's in text form. 

Me too!!! 👍

Ok I just watched a video of how to use the Oxygenator, Portable Oxygenator. Nice British type fellow. Gave it a thumbs up. 

He's got a oxygen tank, the PO, a small generator and one or two organics (give or take off/on). So that is 4 or 5 slots of the 13 taken
He plays a bit, then stops, opens his backpack, turns on the PO, closes the backpack. Plays 20 or so seconds, stops, opens the backpack, turns off the PO, closes the backpack. Returns to play for a while. Stops, opens his backpack, turns on the PO, closes the backpack. Plays for 20 seconds or so, stops, opens the backpack, turns off the PO, closes the backpack................

Ok, guys, seriously. And this does not become monotonous when exactly? 
What is the point of making me stop constantly during play? Stop and play then stop again then play then stop again. Come on, I love SES and all the people that work there too but seriously how does this pass any type of fun test? It is not fun.
This is somehow the way a simple azz filter is supposed to work? Hundreds of years into the future? 

WHY why why make me stop over and over and over and over and over and over again just to use a simple machine? Come on, it is not cold fusion we are talking about here. 

Seriously there is not a better way? The current way is the pinnacle? It can never ever be improved upon?

Ugh, this is sad

Posted (edited)

I just have the small generator in one aux slot, and the PO in the other. I turn the generator on, then the OP, let my tank fill up, then turn them both off. This usually gets me about 10-15 minutes of O2 per organic.

Edited by MAJOR WOODS

If that guy is constantly opening and closing his backpack just to toggle the generator and PO then I guess he doesn't realize that there are context keys which control the shoulder slots (default C and V)...

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, Petrataur said:

If that guy is constantly opening and closing his backpack just to toggle the generator and PO then I guess he doesn't realize that there are context keys which control the shoulder slots (default C and V)...

For real. Why would you waste an aux slot on an O2 tank, when you've got an PO & generator to use. For that matter, why would you waste a slot on an O2 tank at all, when you have an PO. Makes no sense. 

Edited by MAJOR WOODS

Posted (edited)

about 10-15 minutes of O2 per organic

that sounds like a reasonable rate

Edited by Bushmills

I built one, used it for less than 5 minutes, and it's currently sitting in a medium storage somewhere.

It consumes too much power to be of any real utility. You need a constant power source to use it. Wind turbines are unreliable. Solar panels are useless in caves. Small generators require organic. All these use up a valuable backpack slot, two or more in the case of a small generator + organic. Plus if you're using mods and drills for your terrain tool, then you're just out of luck.

Where's the portable RTG?

Let's do some math, why not. A generator will produce a total of 100 units of power from 1 organic. The PO drains 10 units of power to fill 1 oxygen tank. According to the wiki, 1 oxygen tank will give you about 70 seconds (when not sprinting). This means a single piece of organic will give you enough power for 700 seconds, or 11-12 minutes, provided you are not allowing the PO to run with full oxygen, burning unnecessary power.