The general idea is to allow researching player made items in the research chamber.
This will add another layer of research and have a great impact on (late game) game progression!
Research chamber performs some analysis to improve item.
- if the item is not yet unlocked, it will be unlocked
- if the item is unlocked, it will be globally updated in different ways (see updates)
- research time and the corresponding energy costs
- the items used for the process
? the research process might have "negative" byte costs depending on the item, which will lead to reducing the amount of available bytes (same as unlocking)
? some "higher" upgrade may require additional items (see advanced updates)
Updates can have different effects on the items. Possible examples:
- increase speed when produced (e.g. medium storage can now be produced in half time)
- reduced production cost (could be game breaking so be careful here)
- faster production (e.g. smelter works faster)
- higher efficientcy - less energy consumed
- higher charge/discharge rate for batteries
- higher material efficiency (generator burns longer on one unit of fuel)
- automation features (e.g. printer continues production until there are no more resources left)
- player upgrade (e.g. bigger oxigen tank, better lighting, bigger battery, small amount of soil can be stored, small solar panel...)
- bigger tether range
After updating the research chamber itself, it is possible to combine items for advanced research (gets an additional small item slot). Possible examples:
- Vehicle/Seat + Beacon -> Integrated Beacon
- Soil Centrifuge + Tank -> Greater soil capacity
- tether + working light -> allow coloring of tethers
- base unit + working light -> add some illumination
- medium item + packaging robot -> allow self-packaging of item
- smelter + medium storage -> more queue slots
- small generator + carbon -> allows usage as fuel
Is definetely great
More options -> ... -> benefit
- the suggested implementation would not allow larger items to be updated...
- a lot of brain-storming, deciding qhat to pick and fine-tuning required