Sign in to follow this  
Flashman

[POSSIBLE SPOILERS] Dig or tractor / RTG to the core?

So, how are you handling getting to the core?   I have dug ramps down on Sylva, Desolo and Calidor, but have done the super tractor straight down on the rest (except Atrox, it is next).

I am definitely glad I dug down the first few times. Having a large rover at the mushroom level on Sylva is fun.  But the HOURS it takes to dig down has made it a little onerous for me.  So, two questions:

1. Which planets would you suggest digging in order to not miss cool things like the mushroom level?
  2. Are you digging or taking the super tractor to the core and why?

I haven’t done much core exploring yet but as far as i know Sylvia is pretty dope. 

I have almost always seen people super tractor it 

and i have a suggestion take a landing platform with you to the core and set it up if I’m correct you should be able to fly through the planet to the core with a shuttle 

(the bubble to click on wont show up to click on you just have to guess and hope your right

10 hours ago, Flashman said:

So, how are you handling getting to the core?   I have dug ramps down on Sylva, Desolo and Calidor, but have done the super tractor straight down on the rest (except Atrox, it is next).

I am definitely glad I dug down the first few times. Having a large rover at the mushroom level on Sylva is fun.  But the HOURS it takes to dig down has made it a little onerous for me.  So, two questions:

1. Which planets would you suggest digging in order to not miss cool things like the mushroom level?
  2. Are you digging or taking the super tractor to the core and why?

How am I handling getting to the cores? Ramps, walking & getting catapulted numerous times while digging my way down. Rather annoying. I had to make 8 things of diamonds just to use two of them! 

1. Once you've seen one mushroom level you have seen them all. There is nothing that anyone would be missing by digging down to cores. There is nothing else other than the mushroom level, pretty much everything else is rather, been there done that seen that on other planets.

2. Digging. I can't dig down without being catapulted to the surface I don't dare take a vehicle. And besides vehicles are borked to all heck so I don't bother. 

I've got just one more core to get and I will never ever do it again. What a PITA! I just want the suit that's it. Once I have that I will never see another core again. Absolutely terrible design, IMHO.

Edited by The Touch of Grey Gamer

I finally made the core of Atrox to finish the game.  I went down on tractor, so it was a quick ride. But, I passed through a level that looked almost as interesting as the mushroom level.  I am going to dig down on this one to check it out in detail.

BTW, not related to this discussion, but Atrox at night is beautiful.  So many of the plants are bioluminescent and look amazing at night.  

Touch of Grey.  

12 hours ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

't dig down without being catapulted to the surface I don't dare take a vehicle. And besides vehicles are borked to all heck so I don't bother. 

I've got just one more core to get and I will never ever do it again. What a PITA! I just want the suit that's it. Once I have that I will never see another core again. Absolutely terrible design, IMHO.

Just FYI, take a look at this:  

At about 13 minutes he actually goes to the core on a tractor.  It isn't the best example.  I am doing it with just a tractor and one trailer with an RTG, 4 packagers, 2 of whatever I need to activate, a full canister, a small gen and then some extra oxygen.  Dig a small hole straight down, drive into it and activate the drill and let gravity do the rest.  You should be at the core in about 3 minutes.  Problems can occur, I got hung on a piece of rock at the top of a cavern via the power between the tractor and the trailer once that led to my death.  But, most of the time you end up on the core engine itself.  

You can drive the tractor on the engine.   I have managed to successfully drive it into the engine room twice, but twice had to dismount and pack it up before entering as it was stuck on the edge of the room.

Oh, also, sometimes when packaging in the room, the package flies to the ceiling.  Don't panic, just pack up the rest and get it when you gravity flip from walking up the side wall.

I know what I hit my first core or absence of a core, I told myself "there is no point building a ramps all the way down to the core." From then on, I just dive bombed straight down to the core using a tractor with a drill 3 & trailer with a organic generator and one extra organic. First attempt was a suicide run to find out what resources I needed to unlock the core. On the second attempt, same setup but with the three resources and a bunch of packagers to bring back the tractor and the drill and trailer. Repeated this on all the planets and moons.

13 hours ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

I will never ever do it again. What a PITA! I just want the suit that's it. Once I have that I will never see another core again. Absolutely terrible design, IMHO.

Exactly, what to do now? Build another base or start a new game? I'm on the same page as you on this, I will probably never do this again. What I find it astonishing, is that now there's nothing to do besides repeating it again and again. You know what, No thanks, once was enough.

Edited by Mak-a-Face

3 hours ago, Mak-a-Face said:

Exactly, what to do now? Build another base or start a new game? I'm on the same page as you on this, I will probably never do this again. What I find it astonishing, is that now there's nothing to do besides repeating it again and again. You know what, No thanks, once was enough.

Sylva is reaching to the core without tractor, and the next other 6 planets I digging again. Need more time to playing, but have more fun...

5 hours ago, Mak-a-Face said:

I know what I hit my first core or absence of a core, I told myself "there is no point building a ramps all the way down to the core." From then on, I just dive bombed straight down to the core using a tractor with a drill 3 & trailer with a organic generator and one extra organic. First attempt was a suicide run to find out what resources I needed to unlock the core. On the second attempt, same setup but with the three resources and a bunch of packagers to bring back the tractor and the drill and trailer. Repeated this on all the planets and moons.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I just don't think devs play the game. I just don't think they sit for 90+ hours like I have since release and just play. I just don't think they invest multiple hours a day, an entire weekend, etc. and just play. 
Because if they did, how could all these bugs still be in the game? How could all these legacy issues still be prevalent? 
Which brings me to cores. 7 identical cores. Set up to be a grind, and only achieved that goal. You mean to tell me that the devs play the game, spent hours unlocking cores, and then walked away and said, "Great game!" Come on! They did not experience a PITA fest like the rest of us? No they didn't and why? Because they don't play the game!

I use the tractor with one trailer with RTG. Just drill down (cheat as i know the materials needed). Then with 4 repack tool, pack up the tractor & trailer and use the portal to get back. And just one gate at the planet surface unlocked. With 750 hours played I have no patient to grind any more ... Don't seem to get any unlocks of suits or colors ... don't mind that much

42 minutes ago, Capt_Harpoon said:

I use the tractor with one trailer with RTG. Just drill down (cheat as i know the materials needed). Then with 4 repack tool, pack up the tractor & trailer and use the portal to get back. And just one gate at the planet surface unlocked. With 750 hours played I have no patient to grind any more ... Don't seem to get any unlocks of suits or colors ... don't mind that much

Yeah I did not get the suit to unlock either
Plus I never play for achievements and I said "why not?" "I'll give it a go!" The first one I tried "produce all chem items thingy" that does not work either! WTG SES!

I think tractor with drill3 and trailer with RTG plus 4 packagers is an easy and fast way to dig down to the core. BUT only if you are NOT playing through the game the first time because you can't know what ressources you need to activate the core gateways to teleport back. Ok, you can spoiler by reading the wiki or just die after reaching the core and respawn at the planets surface to grap the right ressource and get down again but that's not the way I play games.

On 2/23/2019 at 4:16 AM, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I just don't think devs play the game. I just don't think they sit for 90+ hours like I have since release and just play. I just don't think they invest multiple hours a day, an entire weekend, etc. and just play. 
Because if they did, how could all these bugs still be in the game? How could all these legacy issues still be prevalent? 
Which brings me to cores. 7 identical cores. Set up to be a grind, and only achieved that goal. You mean to tell me that the devs play the game, spent hours unlocking cores, and then walked away and said, "Great game!" Come on! They did not experience a PITA fest like the rest of us? No they didn't and why? Because they don't play the game!

I would guess that most of the team members probably don't play that much because of their workload and most of them are there for a paycheck. The only people really investing their time in the game, are those who will benefit financially.

I don't think the problem isn't that they aren't playing the game but the facts seems more like they aren't LISTENING to the community's concerns and feedback. Look how long it took them (when I say them, I'm talking about the leadership) to fix the steering on the rover.

This is a leadership problem, plain and simple. Just like the decision to release 1.0 before it was ready to go.

16 minutes ago, Mak-a-Face said:

I would guess that most of the team members probably don't play that much because of their workload and most of them are there for a paycheck. The only people really investing their time in the game, are those who will benefit financially.

I don't think the problem isn't that they aren't playing the game but the facts seems more like they aren't LISTENING to the community's concerns and feedback. Look how long it took them (when I say them, I'm talking about the leadership) to fix the steering on the rover.

This is a leadership problem, plain and simple. Just like the decision to release 1.0 before it was ready to go.

Thanks @Mak-a-Face you be correct

On 2/23/2019 at 5:16 AM, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

I completely agree. How did they submit the broken, unplayable version to Microsoft for certification? Did they KNOW it was broken? Or, did they not test it? HOW did Microsoft allow that version to pass certification?

There is NO WAY the devs play this game. If they had to endure all of the maddening bugs and crappy control scheme with a controller, they would have fixed them LONG AGO.