masterfulmadman

Items to Improve Vehicle Drills

I love the convenience of strapping a drill onto my large rover and digging a massive tunnel, but this quickly becomes an hour of me trying to get back to the surface after falling through three cave layers. So I have two item ideas to improve the vehicle drill functionality. Both could be attached directly to the drill head just like how terrain tool augments are attached directly to the terrain tool.

1. A ram or plow or grinder or anything to allow trees, boulders, and other stationary items that are not broken the same as terrain deformation to be moved or destroyed.

2. A bridge/ramp builder to add terrain under the vehicle the same way the flatten function on the terrain tool works. Having a giant vehicle drill is very dissatisfying when I still have to get out to build every giant ramp by hand. This should still require a canister to be attached on top of the builder augment, allowing the terrain drilled to be collected by the drill, then used to build roads/bridges/ramps.

Thanks in advance for any criticism and feedback.

A first person camera, or at least a very close ie. shoulder camera would be a bonus. Travelling through tunnels is a nightmare in a vehicle at the moment as the camera jumps all over the place.

I think my suggestion would fall under this purview.  How about a better way to control the angle that the drill cuts the soil with?  I mean, right now, you're either looking at the under carriage of the rover or you're looking through the ceiling of the tunnel...or even worse, the camera is bouncing around and the tunnel gets all sorts of wonky. 

On 2/24/2019 at 7:00 PM, PsyberWolf309 said:

I think my suggestion would fall under this purview.  How about a better way to control the angle that the drill cuts the soil with?  I mean, right now, you're either looking at the under carriage of the rover or you're looking through the ceiling of the tunnel...or even worse, the camera is bouncing around and the tunnel gets all sorts of wonky. 

What about using the scroll wheel to control the angle the drill cuts?

My suggestion would be:

1. Make the digging angle a variable linked to the vehicle

- switching drill won't change it

- tabbing (pressing < 1 sec) rotate buttons will turn the drill on/off (tabbing use button would be even better and much more intuitive)

- pressing rotate buttons longer will increase/decrease the digging angle (maybe with a progressive change speed)

- pressing both will reset the digging angle

2. Make a tutorial page about it ;)

3. (longer term) add an artificial horizon as in plane cockpits to the drilling view

- shows up/down climb angle and tilt in relation to the "surface"

- has a compass integrated

- is only available for drill level 2+

4. (really long term) add a "holographic direction indicator"

- shows ghost rings the size of the tunnel in front to correctly estimate the vehicle's paths

- only for drill level 3

Edited by Igoooor

On 2/21/2019 at 5:01 PM, masterfulmadman said:

2. A bridge/ramp builder to add terrain under the vehicle the same way the flatten function on the terrain tool works. Having a giant vehicle drill is very dissatisfying when I still have to get out to build every giant ramp by hand. This should still require a canister to be attached on top of the builder augment, allowing the terrain drilled to be collected by the drill, then used to build roads/bridges/ramps.

On 2/28/2019 at 1:20 PM, Igoooor said:

My suggestion would be:

- tabbing (pressing < 1 sec) rotate buttons will turn the drill on/off (tabbing use button would be even better and much more intuitive)

- pressing rotate buttons longer will increase/decrease the digging angle (maybe with a progressive change speed)

3. (longer term) add an artificial horizon as in plane cockpits to the drilling view

- shows ghost rings the size of the tunnel in front to correctly estimate the vehicle's paths

- only for drill level 3

Would love these options even more so when the drill on vehicles is working again.

On 2/28/2019 at 11:20 AM, Igoooor said:

My suggestion would be:

- only for drill level 3

1) The suggested button control sounds unpleasant. Arrow keys would work for pitch and roll.

3 & 4) Love the tiered drill features.

On 2/23/2019 at 4:41 PM, Ri99erz said:

A first person camera, or at least a very close ie. shoulder camera would be a bonus. Travelling through tunnels is a nightmare in a vehicle at the moment as the camera jumps all over the place.

I agree. Any vehicle change needs to address the camera. First person may be the answer. I have a hard time imagining any sort of chase cam working while drilling. 

16 hours ago, Haze33E said:

Would love these options even more so when the drill on vehicles is working again.

Wait, they're broken? I drill all the time. Hyperloop is my preferred mode of transportation. So much easier than traveling over the surface. 

30 minutes ago, Gummarus said:

Wait, they're broken?

There's bug on older saves right now where the vehicles just sink into the ground.

On 2/28/2019 at 10:20 AM, Igoooor said:

My suggestion would be:

I totally agree that an improvement to drill aim is important, but the tapping vs holding could get frustrating for precise changes.

Instead, one button could power the drill on and off, and the other could lock and unlock the angle set by the camera. It piggybacks off the current system with just one added button feature instead of a button rework.

I do agree that a locked drilling angle should stay locked to the vehicle, regardless of drill swap.

On 2/23/2019 at 3:41 PM, Ri99erz said:

Full agreement there

On 2/23/2019 at 6:41 PM, Ri99erz said:

God yes.

2 hours ago, Gummarus said:

1) The suggested button control sounds unpleasant. Arrow keys would work for pitch and roll. 

I think a solution needs to work for the xbox version, too, so i stuck to existing keys.

1 hour ago, masterfulmadman said:

I totally agree that an improvement to drill aim is important, but the tapping vs holding could get frustrating for precise changes. 

Thats why i suggested the "progressive change speed" - slow at first but getting faster

1 minute ago, Igoooor said:

Thats why i suggested the "progressive change speed" - slow at first but getting faster

What if you only want to change a tiny bit? You wouldn't be able to just tap the button because that would toggle drill power. I don't know the xbox controls, but I assume clicking one of the sticks could work to lock the angle. Actually, I'll plug my controller in and see how the game feels with controller so I can make a more informed opinion.

The change would start after the "tap" time had passed and it will start with slow increments... So no problem for precision control

Anyway I would prefer the use-button to be the one tabbed - short = drill, long = exit

Edited by Igoooor

True, one solution would be to have some kind of optical indicator (like a filling circle) to help the player to get the timing right.

The left bumper on the Xbox controller isn't used at all while in the vehicle. Only the right bumper is tied to drill power (unless that's just on my large rover because the drill was on the right side?) so instead of reworking both buttons, just have the right toggle drill power, and the left toggle drill aim lock. (and the c/v keys too, obviously)

wait, the terrain tool equip button isn't used on the vehicle for anything either. Why not just put that to be drill power, then the cycle buttons (c/v and lb/rb) be drill aim without any tap/hold functions. it uses all the existing buttons, but avoids making individual buttons do multiple things.

+1 Drills on vehicles are a nightmare to control and it is near impossible to form nice, straight tunnels. The camera is always fighting with the ceiling of the tunnel and you can't tell what angle you are drilling at so a 1st person mode may remedy this somewhat.

Definitely agree with suggestions to remove the pitch angle (up/down) from the camera controls.
Instead, have the ability to lock the angle at your desired point and drill!
Also agree to have the option to set the roll angle (lean left/right) including true flat, have it lockable too so they aren't changing all the time.
If it's too difficult to achieve precise 1 degree increments then maybe have both pitch and roll with set 30 degree increments. This would give us the ability to at least make 30 and 60 degree ramps which I think the vehicles can travel up & down ok.

On 2/21/2019 at 4:01 PM, masterfulmadman said:

I love the convenience of strapping a drill onto my large rover and digging a massive tunnel, but this quickly becomes an hour of me trying to get back to the surface after falling through three cave layers. So I have two item ideas to improve the vehicle drill functionality. Both could be attached directly to the drill head just like how terrain tool augments are attached directly to the terrain tool.

1. A ram or plow or grinder or anything to allow trees, boulders, and other stationary items that are not broken the same as terrain deformation to be moved or destroyed.

Thanks in advance for any criticism and feedback.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaas! Absolutely need this! 10/10

22 hours ago, masterfulmadman said:

The left bumper on the Xbox controller isn't used at all while in the vehicle. Only the right bumper is tied to drill power (unless that's just on my large rover because the drill was on the right side?) so instead of reworking both buttons, just have the right toggle drill power, and the left toggle drill aim lock. (and the c/v keys too, obviously)

I think (and I could be wrong because I don't even own a controller to look at) that the Left and Right "Bumpers" correspond to front and back module slots. So if the right one turns the drill on and off the left would turn whatever is mounted on the back on/off. And I for one often have generators or Thrusters mounted at the pack that I don't want to use up by mistake while adjusting my drilling angle.

However TAB (Research) and Q (Backpack) aren't used while in a vehicle. Perhaps have the backpack key/button allow changing the drill angle while held. Or even have Research key for front modules, Backpack for rear modules...

11 minutes ago, lost.ninja said:

I think (and I could be wrong because I don't even own a controller to look at) that the Left and Right "Bumpers" correspond to front and back module slots. So if the right one turns the drill on and off the left would turn whatever is mounted on the back on/off.

I can confirm that this is how it works when using a game pad. Utilizing the  X, A, or B buttons would be best for this, as they serve no function while in a vehicle. Clicking in on the thumb sticks could also be used. Or the d-pad could be used, if they disabled the use of emotes while in vehicles.