killingboss812

We need a map

I too would like some kind of higher level navigation ability.  We are in space, the technology should be available to any good astronaut. 

18 hours ago, Northstarranger said:

I'm not sure but I think the more involved the map gets , would that not start to interoduce more fps problems? They might be better later in the game type of thing.

I really hate to quote my self but then again here goes...... until they do some more optimizing the maps would just about make the game unplayable due to fps problems.      Since the games run off our computers at the second it would just about kill a computer to set up a high res map. The low res maps might run but who knows yet. Think about how much the game would have to keep track of as we deform terrain on each game.O.o

The game tries really hard to keep a no hud environment for the player so that the player can experience the world without distractions. This means having a hud or a map in the corner probably wont happen. I was thinking maybe an item that you could put in your inventory and when needed open the inventory and I would show the planet and your relativity to your base and other beacons.

Steam; FoxTrot or mr.brightside42

A map is most certainly needed but I'd prefer something like the Dead Space map, a holographic projection that doesn't clutter up the games minimalist approach.

0348472ca0e7dc4375d579c2bf2b2947.jpg

On 25/12/2016 at 8:29 PM, MuXaMap said:

good idea! and may be scout drone craft.

On 26/12/2016 at 1:39 PM, Articszs said:

a good idea to the developers

Very nice idea :)

I don't like the idea of a static map. But I would like a device that you could pull out and look at to get readouts of where your markers on the other side of the planet are.

One of my favorite things in this game is the purposeful lack of HUD elements cluttering the view. It appears great care has been taken to make the UI be something that occurs IN the game, rather than ON the game. I think they should keep it this way.

Edited by Sproket

On 2.1.2017 at 2:12 PM, TheRQJ said:

5869b75ef26c3_Untitledpresentation.jpg.734a06dd32609b313eef9ca5b840fdc2.jpg

I got to say this is nice for a tool, but I would maybe like them to use the compass more.

and maps always on display isn't nice for those who suggest that.

ofc with the compass now its a press and fade out?

So a more advanced compass that could or a tool for this image? (depends if it uses a static verison of the map with markers/icons on it? 3D map with "X's" markers/icons)

+1 For a holographic map like in the video. It would be great to have markers for home and placed beacons. It would also be nice to show areas not yet explored. IMHO a constant map might be invasive and distract from the gorgeous world System Era has created for us.

I think some sort of an map is not bad,but I would say that they should make it a endgame Item.
You need to research it or find it in a landed ship or something and it should consume Energy.

To maintain consistency with the game's core features and with its setting, I think we should go for a "best of both" option. Think of a holographic map that comes up from a computer device on your wrist but that requires you to scan certain areas of that planet. This should be both easy to do, and not a single-step process. To me, exploring comes before any "commodities," and that could mean that once you research a satellite, launch it, and build your terminal, scanning is as simple as clicking a UI that comes from your wrist.

Simply handing out maps will make exploring stale and lessen the experience; we're exploring deep space after all, nothing's been "discovered" yet ;)

Edited by skb