killingboss812

We need a map

I agree with the devs on having no HUD or on screen GUI.  Any mapping/GPS tech needs to be hand held.  To check the map just hold it up in front of you like we do now.  Having a sat in orbit to give you the signal would be required and the signal strength can be effected by storms in the area.

I would like to see something similiar to this one

the-division-map-hologram.jpg

or imagine satelite sending data to table which display holo map in base

5f769d5572818495cfb2b6ff7f339e6f.jpg

Edited by DragonAstroneer

14 minutes ago, DragonAstroneer said:

I would like to see something similiar to this one

the-division-map-hologram.jpg

or imagine satelite sending data to table which display holo map in base

5f769d5572818495cfb2b6ff7f339e6f.jpg

I am very cool with this style of map as long as it complies with the texture less design the game has.  This would definitely add a layer of coolness.

3 hours ago, Articszs said:

Chest ??? , i never see one of these ,i only found a body You have an some image From this chest

Not a chest a ball wich we can research becausei don't know the name

3 minutes ago, Make_It_So said:

I am very cool with this style of map as long as it complies with the texture less design the game has.  This would definitely add a layer of coolness.

Yea, it should be in low poly design like a rest stuff in game

5 minutes ago, Make_It_So said:

§Yes I think like that t can be cool

Maybe with can have a holo map in a batiment or a little gadget maybe.

35 minutes ago, DragonAstroneer said:

They should add also Drone to game which could check some area from above and display it as hologram to player.

This is a fantastic idea.  Two drones.  A very small 4 wheel drone for exploring caves and a small quad copter for areal recon.  My only concern is if this is making it too easy.  The super coolness of them may be enough to offset that though.

2 minutes ago, Make_It_So said:

This is a fantastic idea.  Two drones.  A very small 4 wheel drone for exploring caves and a small quad copter for areal recon.

Anyway drone has huge potential.

Drone with different operating modes. Some examples:
- standby mode - drone with mounted energy weapon, protecting area from space pirates, alien creatures etc.
- tracking mode - would follow and assist the player, for example he could move light objects and follow player to base.
- search mode - could scan some area from above and display holo map to player.
- manual mode - remote controlled drone with camera view

The map could be an item you have to craft either from your backpack, or from the printer. A smaller version could be made from your backpack, whereas you could make a bigger version from the printer. This would be neat so that, if you have a base, you can attach the map to whatever you want. This would be useful so other players could see the map. Almost like how Minecraft does their maps. And even better, you could piece them together to make a bigger map.

• Make smaller usable maps in your backpack and put them together to form a bigger map
  • Use printer to make a bigger map that can be mounted on medium mounting points
  • Make it so that maps are view-able by other players in multiplayer

12 minutes ago, DragonAstroneer said:

Anyway drone has huge potential.

Drone with different operating modes. Some examples:
- standby mode - drone with mounted energy weapon, protecting area from space pirates, alien creatures etc.
- tracking mode - would follow and assist the player, for example he could move light objects and follow player to base.
- search mode - could scan some area from above and display holo map to player.
- manual mode - remote controlled drone with camera view

I really like the Search Mode idea.  That will be a very simple method of giving the Astroneer access to a map.  Even a short to medium range would be a great thing to have.

Just adding my two-cents here: I like the current UI design concepts and lack of overlays, etc. But do agree that we need some form of navigational assistance. I like the idea of satellites (perhaps operating in a similar fashion to the trade platform - print a satellite and hit launch - depending on the size of the planet the number of satellites needed for complete GPS coverage could vary). In terms of the UI, I think it might be in keeping with the current design to leverage the compass wheel that renders below the astroneer when the cursor is placed over them - perhaps simply adding directional markers for 'home' and 'beacons' on the edges of the circle (or within the circle depending on distance) would be enough to help out when you've travelled too far and cannot see the overhead markers anymore. Combining this with satellites, the markers might only be displayed once you have sufficient GPS coverage. As it stands the compass directions are not enough on their own - as exemplified when you've traversed the planet's poles.

an overview of the planet could be great. (to radar that will put a red dot where there is a treat/enemy, sandstorms and things like that on your compas)

having a map is still quite meaningless.

Unless you are in a cave with no tethers.

Also beacons with adding the spot on your little compas could work better and using the beacons.

Edited by Freddy

3 hours ago, killingboss812 said:

Not a chest a ball wich we can research becausei don't know the name

yes, i understand now

On 25/12/2016 at 3:20 PM, killingboss812 said:

Hi

I think we need a map in th corner of our screens.

You can add it with an energy-related system. When we no longer have energy, the map disappears and we must wait until the energy is filled to reappear. 

Maybe it can be cool with waypoints because I often lose my base :'(

(Sorry for the G. Trad.)

Capture modif.png

capture modif 2.png

good idea

On 25.12.2016 at 3:20 PM, killingboss812 said:

Hi

I think we need a map in th corner of our screens.

You can add it with an energy-related system. When we no longer have energy, the map disappears and we must wait until the energy is filled to reappear. 

Maybe it can be cool with waypoints because I often lose my base :'(

(Sorry for the G. Trad.)

Capture modif.png

capture modif 2.png

I don't like the idea with map in corner. Game has own HUD/UI style and that should keep.

We need two things:

1. Table with hologram on base which can display collected data from drone.

2. Drone that could scan some area from above and send data to holo table or player.

794b8430e7c131800f667ed22b07501a.jpg00-daz3d_holo-map-console__1_1.jpg

Edited by DragonAstroneer

I'm not sure but I think the more involved the map gets , would that not start to interoduce more fps problems? They might be better later in the game type of thing.

I agree with what Megalomax said earlier, especially that some form of navigational assistance would be nice to have. I would prefer to have more advanced navigation aids to become available only gradually. i.e. later in the game.

In another thread, I already suggested to add an altimeter to determine your elevation, and a means to measure distances. In combination with the compass, this would allow a rough dead reckoning navigation. And this could then be the first step before having a complete geographical coordinate system, which allows you to determine your location on a planet more accurately.

I think this could encourage and support exploration on the part of the player. This is also why I am little ambivalent about having a map in the game. If such a map gives away everything about a planet, then where is the fun in that? If a map only shows you what you already have discovered, then you have an incentive to use that map to identify locations that are undiscovered yet appear interesting enough to visit and explore. For example, I'd love to have a 3D map showing me where I have been in the cave systems. It could help me identify unnoticed pathways or unknown areas that may have no direct access to them so that I have to dig in order to get there.

That is also why I do not like the idea of drones doing the exploration for you. If you do not want to go there yourself, then why bother at all? I'd be fine with a drone that can be used for identifying points of interest in the landscape. It could deliver only rough topographical information that helps you find mountain ranges, deep canyons, craters, or cave entrances that are worth further exploration.

However, instead of the described drone functionality, it may be nice to have a more detailed view from the orbit in order to locate interesting landing sites. In my opinion, as it is now, the planet's features are not detailed enough to really tell what kind of landscape you will be in after you have landed.

Edited by Marck

Good idea, maybe they could add a little, printable drone that flies in the upper right corner of the screen and has a display on it wich shows you what the satellite "sees".

-1 for constant map.
i like to get lost.

Drones however may be fun.

Edited by Karacho