Bomoo

Insane Resource Distribution

Contrary to what the title might lead you to believe, no, I'm not suggesting more insane resource distribution, I'm suggesting that it be fixed. This is currently what is happening: I find one deposit of laterite or quartz or whatever, giving me 20-30 nuggets. Welp, that's enough for the entire rest of the game. I guess I can ignore every single subsequent aluminium deposit I find, and they're far from rare. Same for hematite. Same for titanium. Same for wolframite, etc. etc. Do you get the picture? You're spawning TOO MANY RESOURCES. It is TOO EASY to get amounts that allow players to build every single damn thing on the tech tree without running out, and all from ONE deposit. About the only difficulty is the tedium of having to make two or three trips with a fully loaded tractor train to haul back all the crap I've gotten from a single deposit. Don't even get me started on storing it all.

That is completely insane; it's like you want to sabotage your own game. What's happening is people are blowing through the tech tree, partly thanks to you essentialy giving them a cheat plinth baked into the world gen, and leaving bad reviews because the game is boring. Well, duh, no wonder it's boring when you use cheats to give yourself infinite resources. That's essentially what you've done, baked infinite resource cheats into the standard game, and it is a painfully unsatisfying and tedious experience for those of us who want to play it properly.

Let's also talk about distribution. Currently all planets feel samey because, well, that's what you've done. You've made resource distributions on planets samey. Compound/resin/clay on the surface, the rarer stuff below ground. Plug in whatever that planet's uncommon minerals are, spawn those on the surface rarely, and more often below ground. Nope, that's boring and flavourless, just as boring and flavourless as you've managed to make wrecks. They're all, large or small, identical and instantly forgettable, spawning the same 4-5 identical pieces of wrecked equipment. Well, you've done the same with planets. About the only positive change in 1.0 as regards terrain generation has been how pretty some of the planets and biomes are, the painfully saturated neon hues excepted, even if their fixed colour palettes get stale fairly quickly.

Revert the resource deposit sizes and planetary disitribution to what it was in SEA and you'll be doing a-okay in my book. Which is something a good few weeks of honest playtesting would've told you - the new easymode, infinite resource world gen doesn't work and doesn't make for interesting gameplay. It is worse than what it replaced.

I'm sorry if this comes across as scathing or abusive, but it is beyond frustrating to see game developers do the ol' three steps forward, four steps back dance when they had it right before trying to fix what wasn't broken. Make something good and stick to it vs. changing everything around for the worse simply to keep busy.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1660322925

Wow that's a lot of resources, right? Would you like to guess how many deposits' worth that is? ~2/3rds of a single wolframite deposit, and ~2/3rds of a single titanite deposit. That's right, I didn't even clean them out. There were several other juicy looking deposits near by these, but why bother? There's no way I'll use even this, let alone needing to gather more.

Surely you can see how ridiculous this is. It's like you don't want people gathering resources, but running after those damn purple teleporters instead to the exclusion of all else. I would've been happy with the alien teleporters goal if you'd kept the resource balance the way it's been for the past two years. Heck, then activating them all and completing the story, such as it is, would've felt like a substantial accomplishment. With infinite resources for near-zero effort? It feels hollow and unsatisfying.

Edited by Bomoo

+1

You make some very good points.

Totally agree. Much of the gameplay is lost. Feels like much of the game is being shifted towards creative mode, and i dont like this trend at all. Remember before 1.0 when you had to search for resources. Now you mostly find one deposit and you are set for.. game. I guess a few exceptions do exist. but they are rare.

Edited by Hermann

Allow me to add a further point. Giving me 3-4 medium storage full of aluminium from the first laterite deposit I find on the first level of the caves kills any drive to keep tunneling downward for richer and more frequent deposits. Why should I keep exploring the caves when my storage is absolutely choked with resources, and I haven't gone past the first level of caves on any of the planets? The only drive to keep digging is to discover the teleporter core. Which seems a bit weak to me. If you trivialize the entirety of Astro's gameplay to push big purp unlocking, I think you're doing something horribly wrong.

I'd like to return Big Purp Simulator 2019 and play the game of aerospace industry and exploration again.

+1

I greatly agree that there is an easy-mode element about it.  Either resources are too plentiful OR the way that they are used needs to become less efficient.  If you want to have them so readily available and keep it that way, the amount required should greatly increase from one to a lot more than one.  

If you are change the quantity of resources that become available, I'd ask that you make sure multiple players was taken into consideration.  You are going to need more resources for more players opposed to just a single player game.

1 hour ago, StOrM HyDrA DBS said:

Je ne suis juste pas d'accord puisque le taux de génération de ressources est le même depuis le 16 décembre 2016. 

If you can read and understand english. Then answer in english to participate.

@ Bomoo

I discovered the game 3 days ago and that's definitely the feeling one has. Why bother digging deeper and deeper. Just one hole. Straight to the core. A few deposits along the way and you're good to go.

Thing is we're talking about ONE guy against MULTIPLE planets. We are billions on only Earth and we begin to seriously fear that we've been spoiling / destroying most of earth resources soon. And it took all of us, generations of us to do that. The guy is alone. He destroys the flora. Destroys the environment. Terraform what looks like cement on top of originally beautifully colored landscapes. He throws away garbage he doesn't need, etc. He's a human.And there's way too many resources for him on a planet ? Well, yeah in terms of gameplay that's not great. One has fun collecting / organizing for the first Planet. The second maybe even more. But after 4, 5... 6, etc planets. It just isn't exciting anymore. And digging to collect resources we will never have to use is indeed useless.

On top of that, wether you walk 1 minute around your landing spot in each direction all around the Planet, everything you'll see looks always the same. Those randomly generated worlds are gorgeously cute. But all of it is offered to our eyes : mountains, forests, plains, caves, in such a short time that there's nothing more to discover.

And if collecting / discovering doesn't really make sense, then what does ?

The mechanics are great. The game's cute. Physics are excellent. Many little scipts make managing so enjoyable ! It's filled with great things in there. But it lacks one true aim. Or innovative missions. Imagine GTA V with NO missions at all. Great cars, great people around you, tall buildings, sea, land and mountains... People wouldn't play for more than a few days if there were no missions, no storyline. Astroneer is a great game engine. But it feels like playing Lego. If you don't have a wild imagination then you get bored quickly.

9 hours ago, StOrM HyDrA DBS said:

Je ne suis juste pas d'accord puisque le taux de génération de ressources est le même depuis le 16 décembre 2016.

It has not. It's dramatically more generous in 1.0 than it ever was in SEA. Generous to the point of absurdity, I'd argue. If you'll recall, deposits throughout the early access period would yield maybe 2-4 nuggets, though as many as 6-7 for compound. Deposits now yield 10-30+ nuggets. If you're able to get an older version of the game going, I invite you to test this for yourself. Go hit a laterite deposit in the caves in the last SEA build, go hit a laterite deposit in the release build, and report back your findings.

I'd like to add that not only has the yield of individual deposits changed, so has the distribution of deposits on planets. For example, compound and resin was comparatively uncommon on the surfaces of most planets. Now it's more or less identically distributed for every planet.

Deposit size definitely has increased dramatically since 2016. I agree, they should really be toned back to how they were in the early days to encourage us to actually find more deposits.

On 2/19/2019 at 7:18 PM, Atilla said:

Either resources are too plentiful OR the way that they are used needs to become less efficient.  If you want to have them so readily available and keep it that way, the amount required should greatly increase from one to a lot more than one.

The issue with that is the inventory system and general carrying capacity just isn't scaled for 20-30+ nuggets per deposit. You can't carry that many unless you have a fully kitted storage trailer with ten T2 slots running behind you. Not even on a tractor fitted with four medium storage. It fills up all four of them from just part of one deposit. Instead I'd argue the resource scarcity of the game during SEA was scaled to the inventory size and carrying capacity. Likewise the crafting recipes. If I can make a large rover chassis from 2 aluminium and 2 copper, and I'm pulling 20-30 copper from a single deposit, well, I guess that's the materials for the next fifteen large rover chassis I make taken care of from just that one deposit. No need to collect copper for the entire rest of the game.

The consideration with your other point, that more players consume more resources, I would dispute that. Not only do more players equal more resource gathering speed and carrying capacity, but you can share pretty much anything. It's not like you're setting up separate bases and competing for limited resources or something. In most cases I'd argue you're sharing the bulk of the application of these resources, and the additional amounts required per each additional player are trivial.

Consider this: if I have a large rover for just myself, well, that's a non-trivial investment in resources. But say a second player joins me. I wouldn't need to build that same rover again for them, I'd simply stick a 3-seat onto the rover I already have. Or simply a second 1-seat. And as for their personal equipment, well, they can help themselves to a small battery, oxygen tank, canisters, augments, tether bundles, etc. from my stockpile. Whatever they like carrying around with them. What's the resource cost of that? I suppose that depends on how lucky you've been finding spare T1 equipment on wrecks, but probably a couple of resin for their canisters, maybe a copper for their work light, a glass for their small air tank, a compound or two for their canisters, and a zinc or two for their augments of choice. All in all, I would submit that each additional player added to the game would introduce a resource cost of no more than a single medium storage worth of non-rare resources. And this isn't an ongoing cost. Maybe if you play with someone new every time, but if you play with the same people each time, that is a one time investment for them to set up their personal equipment. From there on, you're essentially sharing everything else.

8 hours ago, Bomoo said:

Consider this: if I have a large rover for just myself, well, that's a non-trivial investment in resources. But say a second player joins me. I wouldn't need to build that same rover again for them, I'd simply stick a 3-seat onto the rover I already have. 

Clearly we play with different people :) Each person wants their own large rover, each of them decked out.  I see what you are saying and if everyone shared the items it wouldn't be a concern, but with multiple people each wants a copy of their own.  Their own drills, their own shuttles, their own rovers.  This is a much bigger draw on resources than a single player game.

8 hours ago, Bomoo said:

If I can make a large rover chassis from 2 aluminium and 2 copper, and I'm pulling 20-30 copper from a single deposit, well, I guess that's the materials for the next fifteen large rover chassis I make taken care of from just that one deposit. No need to collect copper for the entire rest of the game.

Yeah, I guess that is the part I don't like.  I wish it were a little more resource intensive so one deposit couldn't set you up for the whole game.  I'd rather a rover cost 5 or 8 aluminum instead.  To each their own,

42 minutes ago, Atilla said:

I'd rather a rover cost 5 or 8 aluminum instead.  To each their own,

The trouble with that is that it creates a cascading effect that impacts everything else in the game. Suddenly the entire diugetic inventory system falls apart if you're simply scaling costs up to match the deposit sizes rather than scaling the deposits down to match the inventory system. Suddenly every printer in the game has to be remodeled to double the number of nuggets it's able to hold. Probably likewise all storage in the game. Suddenly medium storage has to hold not 8, but 20 nuggets. It's a trivial matter to change these values in a spreadsheet, and for an inventory system that doesn't commit itself to being diugetic. But I submit that simply raising all of these values wouldn't work with Astroneer.

41 minutes ago, Atilla said:

Clearly we play with different people :) Each person wants their own large rover, each of them decked out.  I see what you are saying and if everyone shared the items it wouldn't be a concern, but with multiple people each wants a copy of their own.  Their own drills, their own shuttles, their own rovers.  This is a much bigger draw on resources than a single player game.

That's nuts. Why don't they just play single player if they all want their own everything? What is even the point of multiplayer if all you're all doing is playing single player together in the same world.

Edited by Bomoo

How about as you progress to harder planets the amount of resources increases but on Terran the current level should be lowered