Lock

RTGs Too Overpowered

I get that they take a lot of resources to make but late game when you're able to make them it's easy to make a bunch of them. They essentially create infinite power you never have to worry about again. They run off of radioactive material and there should be a way to gather radioactive resources to power it for a long time but be rare. 

From the Wiki on RTGs "A radioisotope thermoelectric generator (RTG, RITEG) is an electrical generator that uses an array of thermocouples to convert the heat released by the decay of a suitable radioactive material into electricity by the Seebeck effect."

Edited by Lock

+1

- makes other power sources obsolete

- Is way to powerful for what it is. Real life RTG = LOW but practically infinite power. Reducing power output to 2 would still be pushing it. But maybe somewhat acceptable. Also consider starting habitat with similar size RTG only gives 1 power. Ok so the dedicated RTG appears slightly beefier so maybe 1.5?

Sure, its supposed to be the 25th century or something such and some advancements are to be expected, but that goes for other power sources as well. Realistically, relative to other power sources, the RTG is way to strong.

Edited by Hermann

I could not disagree more. At the late stage of the game I really don't want to keep waiting for the sun, wind or other slooooowwww power source. The RTG is not over powered at all. And @Hermann nailed it..... it is only supposed to be the 25th century or something so ya know.

1 hour ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

I could not disagree more. At the late stage of the game I really don't want to keep waiting for the sun, wind or other slooooowwww power source. The RTG is not over powered at all. And @Hermann nailed it..... it is only supposed to be the 25th century or something so ya know.

Couldnt disagree more. If you want your "slow" power sources such as sun, to last, get more batteries. Or just get creative mode. As for nailing it, i gave reasoning. But you are twisting my post. 25th century is no excuse. especially when the design is modeled after current RTG designs.

I purposefully avoided using it to provide a more challenging game play through, that and astronium in the research bay.  So ,+1.  At the end of the day this game is really what you make if it.  Think its op, don't use it.

The RTG is an endgame power source the whole point of endgame items is that they're better then what you had before. It doesn't make any sense to unlock/build lots of end game stuff. To then have to waste space with batteries/solar panels/wind turbines everywhere just to have a consistent power supply. 

I haven't even unlocked it yet but I'll be really happy when I do. No more worrying about needing to make batteries/solar panels/wind turbines or having to feed generators with carbon/organic. Which will be really helpful for setting up bases on the other planets when I start messing with alien buildings.

4 hours ago, Haze33E said:

The RTG is an endgame power source the whole point of endgame items is that they're better then what you had before. It doesn't make any sense to unlock/build lots of end game stuff. To then have to waste space with batteries/solar panels/wind turbines everywhere just to have a consistent power supply. 

I haven't even unlocked it yet but I'll be really happy when I do. No more worrying about needing to make batteries/solar panels/wind turbines or having to feed generators with carbon/organic. Which will be really helpful for setting up bases on the other planets when I start messing with alien buildings.

Yeah, this! 
There is nothing stopping you from using any type of power source anytime during the game; be it late or early. If you don't like the RTG, why are you using it? Just keep using what you like. Why force others to explore and play the exact same way you do? I don't like the small wind and solar. I never construct them. I use them if I find them but I don't build them. That doesn't mean I want them removed from the game. 

Might as well make it a single slot item, change its design to be a purple glowing ball, give it unlimited power and rename it to "Free endgame power"

I agree with the OP and Hermann. RTG are too much overpowered, and i'll add that it is bad for the game, i'll explain.

When i started this game in beta, it was so thrilled by this game, there were sandstorms that were throwing big rocks at your face, so you had to hide, and you had to not let your ressources on the ground or they will just fly away and be lost, there were just wind/sun and walls of batteries that you had to put outside, when you built a cave base, because you needed to use wind to charge them.

The ultimate source of power was those broken giant golden solar panels that you could find on nature and needed to be brought back with crane, and smartly plant on the ground to make it coherent with your base.

So... If you wanted a big base, you needed to be more creative to get suitable source of power.

Now it's just : "i'll just build some RTGs and use scrap exploit for infinite ressources and post a picture of my flat, tasteless, easily built base somewhere."

It is supposed to be a survival game, and i think, a creative game. And come on, there is no endgame, on a new game anyone can build RTG on day1, travel through planet is basically free, and very quick once you know your stuff. You think RTG is helping you but this kind of feature is making the game less enjoyable, because you don't need to think and choose, you just build RTG and forget all other kind of power sources now.

I think it's fine to have it for now, because some people are getting into the game, but once the creative mode will be out, this kind of easy and free powersource must be gone, to make the game a bit challenging, rewarding, and push creativity.

Finally unlocked the RTG in my opinion it is nice to have but it's nowhere near OP. While the power output is infinite it's not strong so you can still easily bog it down with too much power draw.

On 2/16/2019 at 11:04 PM, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

I don’t want to fuss around with power late game, rtg is very handy. This game is NOT realistic, your space suit would disintegrate on radiated.. comon guys don’t drop that rubbish lol

22 hours ago, Hermann said:

Might as well make it a single slot item, change its design to be a purple glowing ball, give it unlimited power and rename it to "Free endgame power"

Well, i think that maybe an rtg tier 2 with enough power to power a portable oxygenator that would use 1 slot and would be extremely expensive would be a good idea. When i say extremely expensive, i mean 100,000 bytes, 5 double compacted nanocrbon alloy, because just heaps of nanocarbon alloy wouldn't make sense because it would be tiny, 4 compacted silicone, 10 compacted graphene and 1 triple compacted titanium alloy. I am saying "compacted" because the end game resources aren't hard enough to get and to make it harder, a "compacted" version could mean that it would go into a machine that would "compact" them by compressing two of the previous compact into one. For example a "double comoacted" compound would require two "compacted" compunds which would require two compound stacks each. Or there could be rarer resources added. 

On 2/16/2019 at 8:46 PM, Hermann said:

+1

- makes other power sources obsolete

- Is way to powerful for what it is. Real life RTG = LOW but practically infinite power. Reducing power output to 2 would still be pushing it. But maybe somewhat acceptable. Also consider starting habitat with similar size RTG only gives 1 power. Ok so the dedicated RTG appears slightly beefier so maybe 1.5?

Sure, its supposed to be the 25th century or something such and some advancements are to be expected, but that goes for other power sources as well. Realistically, relative to other power sources, the RTG is way to strong.

I agree that 2 or 3 amps would be more reasonable.

On 2/17/2019 at 2:09 PM, Hermann said:

That seems to be what many of the late game pieces of equipment are, essentially cheats into not having to deal with resource scarcity while you run around trying to reactivate these alien teleporters. I'd even go so far as to argue that the entire game has been reblanaced to deemphasize normal gameplay in favour of chasing after these damn purple teleporters instead. No thanks, I'd rather play a game of aerospace industry and exploration, not whatever 1.0 is.

Edited by Bomoo

On 2/17/2019 at 11:40 AM, Zaon said:

I agree with the OP and Hermann. RTG are too much overpowered, and i'll add that it is bad for the game, i'll explain.

When i started this game in beta, it was so thrilled by this game, there were sandstorms that were throwing big rocks at your face, so you had to hide, and you had to not let your ressources on the ground or they will just fly away and be lost, there were just wind/sun and walls of batteries that you had to put outside, when you built a cave base, because you needed to use wind to charge them.

The ultimate source of power was those broken giant golden solar panels that you could find on nature and needed to be brought back with crane, and smartly plant on the ground to make it coherent with your base.

So... If you wanted a big base, you needed to be more creative to get suitable source of power.

Now it's just : "i'll just build some RTGs and use scrap exploit for infinite ressources and post a picture of my flat, tasteless, easily built base somewhere."

It is supposed to be a survival game, and i think, a creative game. And come on, there is no endgame, on a new game anyone can build RTG on day1, travel through planet is basically free, and very quick once you know your stuff. You think RTG is helping you but this kind of feature is making the game less enjoyable, because you don't need to think and choose, you just build RTG and forget all other kind of power sources now.

I think it's fine to have it for now, because some people are getting into the game, but once the creative mode will be out, this kind of easy and free powersource must be gone, to make the game a bit challenging, rewarding, and push creativity.

THIS