CamoKilla233

Transfer saves between Microsoft Store and Steam

Does anyone out there know how to transfer a save from Microsoft Store to Steam version? I have a very good save on Microsoft Store and want to transfer to Steam so i can play with all my friends and some small streamers. I've been trying to transfer by copying and pasting files i suspect were the savegame but it just hasn't worked. Any ideas from the Community?

What does the MS Store save look like?

I have Steam and my saves are here:

C:\Users\<windows username>\AppData\Local\Astro\Saved\SaveGames

Whenever I want to back up my save I copy that SaveGames folder.

snip.JPG

Yes, it is possible to migrate the save data from Xbox/Windows 10 to Steam. 

1st: You need to locate the save data from Microsoft. 

Below  is an example for the directory/folder path. It should look something like this. 

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Packages\SystemEraSoftworks.29415440E1269_ftk5pbg2rayv2\SystemAppData\wgs\

The save files would usually be locating within the wgs  folder. 

savefi1.thumb.png.e4fdffa104ae2d7b1a28df3a8772fec8.png

Click on the first folder and you will find three more folders. It usually is the second one, but check for the folders anyway. (Biggest file is the saved file)

savedfi2.thumb.png.73c0dc287a937206bb8deb06d7285f45.png

2nd: Copy the file into the STEAM saved game folder at: C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Astro\Saved\SavedGames

Once there, right click and Rename the file, by simply adding the extension name into the existing file:    .savegame

savedfi3.thumb.png.7331ef15742c216131986ccbc48d3736.png

3rd: Click enter, and the extension name should go from File to SAVEGAME File

4th: Open the game through STEAM and you should see the saved game appearing on the home screen of the game. Load the file and once it's in the game (making sure you verified it's your saved game from Microsoft/Xbox/Win10), abandon to Main Menu and your saved data should have a timestamp. Delete the one that you used to access the saved game data and you can safely rename the newly created saved game. 

savedfi4.thumb.png.1a19b79162aa3c45b744c61df95c7b43.png

Hope this helps. It's pretty simple.

I also had a good progress from my Xbox one X and changing to Microsoft Store wasn't much better, so I bought a copy from Steam and it's so much better. 

On 2/18/2019 at 12:27 PM, shyneutrino said:

Yes, it is possible to migrate the save data from Xbox/Windows 10 to Steam. 

1st: You need to locate the save data from Microsoft. 

Below  is an example for the directory/folder path. It should look something like this. 

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Packages\SystemEraSoftworks.29415440E1269_ftk5pbg2rayv2\SystemAppData\wgs\

The save files would usually be locating within the wgs  folder. 

savefi1.thumb.png.e4fdffa104ae2d7b1a28df3a8772fec8.png

Click on the first folder and you will find three more folders. It usually is the second one, but check for the folders anyway. (Biggest file is the saved file)

savedfi2.thumb.png.73c0dc287a937206bb8deb06d7285f45.png

2nd: Copy the file into the STEAM saved game folder at: C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Astro\Saved\SavedGames

Once there, right click and Rename the file, by simply adding the extension name into the existing file:    .savegame

savedfi3.thumb.png.7331ef15742c216131986ccbc48d3736.png

3rd: Click enter, and the extension name should go from File to SAVEGAME File

4th: Open the game through STEAM and you should see the saved game appearing on the home screen of the game. Load the file and once it's in the game (making sure you verified it's your saved game from Microsoft/Xbox/Win10), abandon to Main Menu and your saved data should have a timestamp. Delete the one that you used to access the saved game data and you can safely rename the newly created saved game. 

savedfi4.thumb.png.1a19b79162aa3c45b744c61df95c7b43.png

Hope this helps. It's pretty simple.

I also had a good progress from my Xbox one X and changing to Microsoft Store wasn't much better, so I bought a copy from Steam and it's so much better. 

This worked. I will be sure to direct anyone to this link if they want to transfer saves! You saved me so much Advil if ya know what i mean.

Wow...this is great info. 

How about going the other direction? Moving a Steam save game to Windows/Xbox Live app?

Is it as "simple" as reversing the instructions a bit?

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Brian Davis said:

Wow...this is great info. 

How about going the other direction? Moving a Steam save game to Windows/Xbox Live app?

Is it as "simple" as reversing the instructions a bit?

Thanks!

This thread has good detail. (That's why it's pinned)