I suggest that Oxygenators should require power to produce oxygen (and/or resources). 

This would require additional planning when building your bases and create some challenge. Does the planet you are building a base on have sufficient solar/wind? Will you have to use generators? Is there plant life to fuel generators? Do you have batteries to store excess power? 

Having oxygen storage tanks for your bases would be cool too. 

Right now oxygenators make an endless supply of oxygen without power or resources. As long as you bring one along when building a base, you really have very little challenge or risk in making your new base viable. 

I get the ghist that this game isn’t meant to be overly challenging, but a little more realistic challenges in base planning and management would add a more immersive experience IMO. I know this game isn’t trying to be a ‘realistic’ space survival simulator, but right now it realistically requires our characters to need an oxygen supply. Where does that supply come from? How does my oxygenator make oxygen on a planet with no atmosphere and requires no power or resources? A lot of suspension of disbelief is currently needed.

Edited by CaptKaspar

No, that would make flying to other planets such as Atrox extremely difficult and ridiculously stupid and overrated to go there. The game isn't meant to be technically skillful difficult, it is supposed to be an intellectual involved exploration game. 

1 hour ago, CaptKaspar said:

I suggest that Oxygenators should require power to produce oxygen (and/or resources). 

This would require additional planning when building your bases and create some challenge. Does the planet you are building a base on have sufficient solar/wind? Will you have to use generators? Is there plant life to fuel generators? Do you have batteries to store excess power? 

Having oxygen storage tanks for your bases would be cool too. 

Right now oxygenators make an endless supply of oxygen without power or resources. As long as you bring one along when building a base, you really have very little challenge or risk in making your new base viable. 

I get the ghist that this game isn’t meant to be overly challenging, but a little more realistic challenges in base planning and management would add a more immersive experience IMO. I know this game isn’t trying to be a ‘realistic’ space survival simulator, but right now it realistically requires our characters to need an oxygen supply. Where does that supply come from? How does my oxygenator make oxygen on a planet with no atmosphere and requires no power or resources? A lot of suspension of disbelief is currently needed.

totally agree. Starting hab got power anyway. Could maybe be adjusted up a bit to accommodate oxygenator drain. When you leave your starting hab/area, you need to work out solutions for that. Tethers would already go far. And there are many options available for providing power on the go.

3 minutes ago, Skippy The Magnificent said:

No, that would make flying to other planets such as Atrox extremely difficult and ridiculously stupid and overrated to go there. The game isn't meant to be technically skillful difficult, it is supposed to be an intellectual involved exploration game. 

Atrox is the final planet. It clearly states "Difficulty: VERY HARD" And by the time you get there you will in all likelyhood have a large shuttle with vast storage space for whatever power option you choose to go with. I absolutely do not see any issue here. Either way it would not make it extremely difficult. just slightly more difficult, which IMO is needed. It would make things make sense.

1 hour ago, Skippy The Magnificent said:

Well I’d argue that it would do the opposite of ‘ridiculously stupid’ because it would require more thought, planning, and problem solving. I don’t see how planning out logistics would make it ridiculously: 

stu·pid
/ˈst(y)o͞opəd/
adjective
  1. having or showing a great lack of intelligence or common sense.
You mentioned that is supposed to be an ‘intellectual involved explorer’, so whats the problem with using some more intellect? 

Other than not getting lost, whats the intellectual part of exploring? Its relaxing and sometimes exciting in what you find, but intellectual? 

Right now there is very little difference in base design strategy on the various planets/moons. A little tweaking to make each planet/moon a unique experience and challenge would be a welcome update IMO. 
2 hours ago, Skippy The Magnificent said:

I hear they are adding ‘creative mood’

Once you go to Desolo you already are facing a problem. How do I get power at night? This is usually a player's first stop. Meaning they don't have lithium to make batteries so unless the shuttle still provides oxygen the player will die. If the shuttle does provide oxygen with no power the player will be confined to their base. Also if they are underground they will not know the status of the power or time of day. This would kill the joy of the game it is supposed to be fun, not dying because the star went below the horizon.

4 hours ago, Skippy The Magnificent said:

Sorry, I was not trying to sound mean or rude I intend to be friendly and logically explain why this is not the best of ideas.

50 minutes ago, Skippy The Magnificent said:

Once you go to Desolo you already are facing a problem. How do I get power at night? This is usually a player's first stop. Meaning they don't have lithium to make batteries so unless the shuttle still provides oxygen the player will die. If the shuttle does provide oxygen with no power the player will be confined to their base. Also if they are underground they will not know the status of the power or time of day. This would kill the joy of the game it is supposed to be fun, not dying because the star went below the horizon.

Ironically, your above scenario is what lead me to make this post. 

Like most players Desolo was my first stop. 

I reviewed the moon in the in-game wiki and prepared for the trip. Like most players I did not have lithium yet (however i found no less than 1/2 dozen small batteries on the starter planet). I packed up a meager amount of supplies (an oxygenator, small printer, some small solar panels, and a battery). After arriving on Desolo I learned that my power production and storage was not going to be adequate. I thought about leaving and coming back with more resources, but I decided to stick it out for a few day/night cycles to see the consequences. Well after a few days I realized there really weren’t any consequences to losing power on a moon that has ‘no atmosphere’. My oxygen supply always stayed on. I never got too cold or hot. I was in next to no additional risk or danger.

I observed 3 issues with the power being out at night.

1) My printers did not work. Annoying at worst having to wait till morning.

2) My research was slowed (after I built a research station). Again annoying at worst having my research slowed.

3) When using mods on my terrain tool my battery on my pack would drain and eventually my flashlight would turn off. This one admittedly could be fatally dangerous. If my flashlight went out and I fell into a hole, I would be lost in the dark and would eventually die. 

#3 is how i knew night had come when i was below the surface. 

Other than falling into a dark hole, there was zero risk having the power go out. 

I could go back to the starter planet and grab some more batteries, but meh whats the point? Its not worth the trip back. Just pay attention to the battery level on my pack and I was in absolutely no risk or danger. 

I did a bad job planning out the needs of my new base. Oh well, no consequences. Imagine NASA or SpaceX sending astronauts to the moon with an inadequate power supply? It would be a disaster. 

So TL:DR by requiring oxygenators to need power it would create a real risk/hazard to improperly planning out a base. 

1 hour ago, Skippy The Magnificent said:

Actually nights on Desolo arent long enough to suffocate you. Also you can use some wind power to even out the power supply a bit. Add an oxygen tank on top of that and you will be golden. Another alternative, run a few tanks and forget about the oxygenator alltogether, just go back to shuttle to refill every now and then(assuming shuttle still provides oxygen, just not tether oxygen)

Other power alternatives would be small generator on a platform stacked with organic. runs a looong time. Or maybe this would give a use for power cells. anyway, point is there is plenty of options. Just gotta plan a littlebit, which isnt unreasonable for your first trip to space! :)

13 hours ago, Hermann said:

Actually nights on Desolo arent long enough to suffocate you. Also you can use some wind power to even out the power supply a bit. Add an oxygen tank on top of that and you will be golden. Another alternative, run a few tanks and forget about the oxygenator alltogether, just go back to shuttle to refill every now and then(assuming shuttle still provides oxygen, just not tether oxygen)

Youre right that there is wind power, but why is there wind on a moon that has no atmosphere? 

I may have to eat my hat. I noticed something odd about power consumption and oxygenators last night. Perhaps its a bug.

When you have an oxygenator in your shuttle (so that you can build tethers off of your shuttle), you ever so slowly generate power and your battery back very slowly recharges. 

If you move that oxygenator out of your shuttle and put it on a platform, the very slow recharge rate stops. 

Put it back in the shuttle and the tiny recharge rate returns.

Ok, so the oxygenator does use up a tiny bit of ‘excess’ power. However, when looking at the power demand/supply indicator on platform there is no red or yellow, just black (nothing else is hooked up and demanding power). 

Either way the oxygenator never turns off without power. 

41 minutes ago, CaptKaspar said:

I may have to eat my hat. I noticed something odd about power consumption and oxygenators last night. Perhaps its a bug.

When you have an oxygenator in your shuttle (so that you can build tethers off of your shuttle), you ever so slowly generate power and your battery back very slowly recharges. 

If you move that oxygenator out of your shuttle and put it on a platform, the very slow recharge rate stops. 

Put it back in the shuttle and the tiny recharge rate returns.

Ok, so the oxygenator does use up a tiny bit of ‘excess’ power. However, when looking at the power demand/supply indicator on platform there is no red or yellow, just black (nothing else is hooked up and demanding power). 

Either way the oxygenator never turns off without power. 

Pretty sure that is not the case. My understanding on what is going on here is as follow:

The oxygenator enables the item it is attached to, to interact with tethers. That means supplying oxygen, but also power.

All shuttles got a small power supply. Enough to very slowly recharge your backpack, or a small battery attached to the shuttle. Or even run attached research chambers or other modules in super slowmotion.

When you remove the oxygenator, you also remove the shuttles ability to supply power to the tether network. If you were to stand right next to the shuttle without tethers, you could add or remove the oxygenator without altering the power supply, as you got direct tetherless connection

Edited by Hermann
10 minutes ago, Hermann said:

Pretty sure that is not the case. My understanding on what is going on here is as follow:

The oxygenator enables the item it is attached to, to interact with tethers. That means supplying oxygen, but also power.

All shuttles got a small power supply. Enough to very slowly recharge your backpack, or a small battery attached to the shuttle. Or even run attached research chambers or other modules in super slowmotion.

When you remove the oxygenator, you also remove the shuttles ability to supply power to the tether network. If you were to stand right next to the shuttle without tethers, you could add or remove the oxygenator without altering the power supply, as you got direct tetherless connection

+1

This makes perfect sense. Thank you!

Is there any other way to hook up your shuttle to your tether network other than with an oxygenator? 

Just now, CaptKaspar said:

+1

This makes perfect sense. Thank you!

Is there any other way to hook up your shuttle to your tether network other than with an oxygenator? 

None that i know of. The general idea seems to be that in order to power the tethers there must be an oxygenator(standard or portable). Even the starting hab doesnt have it installed when you begin and one must manually install it in order for tethers to work. Guessing this is in part to highlight its functionality and importance and make players aware. Mini tutorial sort of.

Ok so, I am deeeeeeeeeep inside the caves, connected to theters all the way up, suddently, the power generation goes down, what am I gonna do??? DIE! and when I come up, theres gonna be no oxygen! only in my shuttle! so I will be stuck there until the sun raises or wind decides to come back (ik theres generator and rtgs but you sometimes early game or dont have organic).

Plus the starty habbitat only produces one amp of power that it woiuld make it useless at all.
This is a bad idea has the oxygenator is a basic survival item and would make the game super skillfull hard, unbalanced for some people, and anoying, just no.

On 2/14/2019 at 11:09 PM, Skippy The Magnificent said:

Exactly, for an earlygame someone first goes to desolo 90% of the times, and since in early games we probably dont have a batery, rip nights

Wrong. In the early game, you always have a ton of quartz. When i went to desolo for the first time, i brought 16 wind turbines. that is more than enough to meet your power needs day and night. it wouldn't be difficult at all.

3 hours ago, MustachedSquid said:

Ok so, I am deeeeeeeeeep inside the caves, connected to theters all the way up, suddently, the power generation goes down, what am I gonna do??? DIE! and when I come up, theres gonna be no oxygen! only in my shuttle! so I will be stuck there until the sun raises or wind decides to come back (ik theres generator and rtgs but you sometimes early game or dont have organic).

Plus the starty habbitat only produces one amp of power that it woiuld make it useless at all.
This is a bad idea has the oxygenator is a basic survival item and would make the game super skillfull hard, unbalanced for some people, and anoying, just no.

I have never been in a situation in this game where organics were not readily available. This includes Desolo (a moon with ‘no atmosphere’) Their purpose in the game is to provide fuel for small generators. Do organics do anything else? There is an overly abundant resource available thats sole purpose is to be used to make energy. Why else is it in game? Use available solutions and resources. 

Make an oxygen tank. They’re an early game item that vastly increases your oxygen supply. 

Make oxygen filters. They’re an even earlier game item than the oxygen tanks.

Make a tractor. They’re an early game item and can be made from a small printer. They provide oxygen and are portable.

None of this is ‘superhard’. 

I will admit that before an oxygen generator needs power, we should have a way to store up oxygen at our bases. We have craftable oxygen tanks for our characters. Its not a stretch to want one for your base as well. What base on another planet/moon wouldn’t have oxygen tanks? 

Creative Mode is being added. In most games that means a mode where resources are not required and threats are not present. For players who don’t want to worry about resources or have it be ‘hard’ this will be a great mode for them. 

For the rest of us, give us some sort of challenge or problem solving.

Make each planet/moon a unique experience with unique challenges that require us to come up with solutions to varying situations with the tools/resources at our disposal. Make us survive and pay the ‘price’ if we don’t. It does not have to be highly realistic, but it should have some foundation in reality. 

Right now though there is no penalty for death. Your character dies, so what? You have to run back to where you died? It’s not exactly a punishing penalty and is barely an inconvenience since it allows you the quickest possible way to bring additional supplies down to where you died. 

What would happen if a deep mine on Earth that needed ventilation lost power? Eventually people would die if they did not have the emergency supplies on hand. 

Maybe this could be in the hard mode that everybody(including myself) seem to want. Maybe in extreme mode tethers could lose pressur per meter and supply oxygen slower until eventually come to a stop. Then you would have to make multiple oxygenerators to provide yourself with oxygen.

24 minutes ago, redstonerti said:

Maybe this could be in the hard mode that everybody(including myself) seem to want. Maybe in extreme mode tethers could lose pressur per meter and supply oxygen slower until eventually come to a stop. Then you would have to make multiple oxygenerators to provide yourself with oxygen.

Great ideas!!

Agreed that the oxygenator should require power. The game is already way too easy, and this is just the thing to introduce some survival edge to it.