Goemoe

How do I get the linux version?

Hi there,

I just buyed my second version of Astroneer to play with my family. I bought it from steam on a linux machine, but steam tells me Astroneer is not running on that kind of system. The roadmap tells otherwise and some people here in the forum talk about running their game on linux.

And yes, I searched the forum, but found nothing to answer my question. So how do I get sweet Astroneer on my linux machine?

Thanks

There's no native port for Linux yet. Likely soon, but not yet. You'll have to use things like Proton to play it on Linux (which apparently works just fine).

I play it in Linux Mint 19. I have done it since prior to Astroneer 1.0. For a couple of months now.
Steam introduced an adaptation of their own of Play Linux (an emulator I believe). It's at the bottom of your Steam Settings page. If you turn it on, it'll allow you to install and play Astroneer in Linux. You'll have to restart Steam. Is that simple.

I must say, after the Astroneer big update, I was forced to lower the resolution and a few Graphics settings for it to run acceptably. I admit though, I haven't looked much into this issue. So for all I know, there might be something you could do to make it run almost as it does in Windows. 
Good luck!

1 hour ago, Wyvyrias said:

There's no native port for Linux yet. Likely soon, but not yet. You'll have to use things like Proton to play it on Linux (which apparently works just fine).

So just to add to what Solar Lord and I said before: I was just reading that Proton is the main tool used by Steam Play. Everything said before is still correct though.

1 minute ago, Goemoe said:

Great answers, thank you both. I will attempt it tomorrow. 👍

Cool!
Best of luck!
And let us know if you have any more questions :)

I had some issues with the desktop settings, but now it seems to work properly. I can't get the two versions to see each other, but that is a different topic in a different thread. ;)