drpeppercan

Spoiler (?) - Having a hard time locating Gateway #6

After trying to find it in single-player, and another try in multiplayer (2), and not finding it, I took off to the atmosphere to go round the planet and see if I could see it that way. I did! Finally!
On each of the found gateways I put a coloured beacon. As you can see in the image, the missing gateway is at the top, right between the Green-beacon gateway (left), and the Orange-beacon gateway (right).
Now, in terms of coordinates, if I were to be at either one of these found gateways (Green or Orange), in what direction am I supposed to go to find the missing one? 
I know that we have a compass. In this image, the missing gateway appears at the top, and the Orange beacon on the right. That would be North, and East respectively. The problem is that the planet is constantly moving, so what was North and East, won't stay N & E.
Any ideas?

Thanks guys

DPC

20190212233414_1.jpg

I think the shuttle orbits in the equator, so the sides would be north/south.

If you go to the one at the top of the planet, you would need to go either east or west straight to find the missing one, depending on the way the planet rotates.

North and such is constant, its just that if you are near to the south or north pole gate way then the compass will always slide around and face it (this would be true in real life too). So make sure you have north and south done by just following your compass there. Then scoot passed it and see if your compass flipped. Once you have north and south def checked off then scoot to any other node, pick west or east and keep truckin till you hit your missing purple!

I fly up with a rocket, search a closer landing zone to the missing gateway, land, try to reach it on foot, run out on tethers, drop down a red beacon, fly back to my base, get in my rover train, and go to the red beacon, pick it up, and from there a stright forward explore the last gateway....drop down the beacon change color to purple :)

I just went through the same struggle.  Drive around the planets for two days trying to find the last gate.

I eventually used my og space ship to land closest to it, dropped a beacon and drew a directional indicator with the terrain tool.

1 hour ago, LowJacK604 said:

...and drew a directional indicator with the terrain tool.

I figured I wasn't the only one LOL
Would you mind taking a screenshot of your "Directional Indicator" and show it here? It sounds like a great idea :)

On 2/13/2019 at 12:52 PM, njord8472 said:

...you would need to go either east or west straight to find the missing one, depending on the way the planet rotates.

That was right! I just picked West and went until I found it.

Thanks again :)

Btw, I believe I heard from someone's video that finding one Gateway is enough to unlock the Core and move on. I just thought it would be more fun to make it an adventure to find them all anyway ;)

One is enough. On the second planet I activate only one gateway and after it I also could activate the core. Fastest planet activation for me.

Right now I struggle on Calidor. Nearest gateway won't activate, even if I give him alltogether 52A...

On 2/14/2019 at 12:02 PM, LowJacK604 said:

- and drew a directional indicator with the terrain tool.

Hi LJ604, do you mind elaborating on this "directional indicator"? What does it look like?

Thanks

On 2/15/2019 at 1:43 PM, Astroneer Tips said:

Hi LJ604, do you mind elaborating on this "directional indicator"? What does it look like?

Thanks

I used the terrain tool to draw an arrow in the direction I should be heading.

Posted (edited)

First go to a different gate you've activated and look at the map is shows you, you should be able to see the node(s) you haven't activated and the one you are standing at. Once you see it you may think you need to go north because the node is at the top of the planet or south because it's at the bottom. This is wrong, the node closest to the camera on the front of the map is north and the furthest one is south. This means the four nodes at the top bottom left and right are actually the equator. Not understanding this has lead me in many circles, I think you may have the same problem.

Edited by Anthony Slams

The 5 non-moon planets have 6 chambers - north pole, south pole, and 4 spread out on the equator at equal distances from each other.

When you orbit a planet, you orbit around the equator. The south pole is to the far left and the north pole is to the far right.

When you are at a chamber looking at the diagram of other chambers you can teleport to, the north pole is at the bottom right node, the south pole is at the top left node, and the remaining nodes draw the equator.

8 hours ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

Is there a difference between the two poles? Does one receive more daylight/sunlight?

Not that I've ever noticed. The only difference I've ever seen is the direction in which the stars & planets revolve. I wish it were possible to get unlimited sunlight on the poles. That would be nice. 

On 3/23/2019 at 10:20 PM, MAJOR WOODS said:

Not that I've ever noticed. The only difference I've ever seen is the direction in which the stars & planets revolve. I wish it were possible to get unlimited sunlight on the poles. That would be nice. 

I actually used to do this in one of the alpha builds for constant power. Not sure if it's possible anymore (but the addition of RTGs makes it less worthwhile anyway).

Posted (edited)
On 3/24/2019 at 1:20 PM, MAJOR WOODS said:

I wish it were possible to get unlimited sunlight on the poles. That would be nice. 

RTGs make all other sources of energy redundant. Make half a dozen and you never need to worry about power again. You can even pack them up and take them with you in your backpack.

Edited by Buddha

6 hours ago, Buddha said:

RTGs make all other sources of energy redundant. Make half a dozen and you never need to worry about power again. You can even pack them up and take them with you in your backpack.

Yeah, but RTGs are late game. Until you get the chemistry lab, atmospheric condenser, & all the materials required for making them, you have to rely on other power sources. If we could get unlimited solar before hand, by going to the poles, it would really speed up the process of everything.