MarsMatter

Make distant beacons visible on the horizon

Astroneer's planetary navigation system is definitely lacking, and although there are many suggested features to make GPS and whatnot I think I have a solution that I think would be rather simple to implement compared to that.

I am taking a bit of inspiration from No Man's Sky here, in that game if you have a waypoint on the far side of a planet it will appear on the point on the horizon in the direction of the waypoint even if it's far enough to be far below the horizon.  This way the indicator is always visible.  That game may have a ton of flaws, but waypoints is something it actually did right.

This sort of thing could be adapted to Astroneer with what I assume would be relative ease compared to something like GPS.  If a player gets too far from a beacon, rocket, base, corpse, or another player to the point where the beacon indicator will be below the horizon, than the indicator should sort of follow the player and remain about on the horizon no matter how much further they go.  That way if you are half way around the planet in a rover and you want to get home, you will know what direction to start traveling in.

This 100x. I would really love to see beacons work like this as right now they're kind of only useful from space. I get lost and turned around a lot so losing my home base is pretty common and it's not super fun to just wander around aimlessly looking for a beacon or home marker to slightly peak over a horizon.

I agree, more could be done for planetary navigation, and beacons are an easy way to do it.  I like the idea of seeing them below the horizon, or at least having them cut through the cloud layer. 

Changing the color is handy but not enough. 

I really wish I could give them at least an eight character label (could be more than 8 characters, but 8-character naming has that computer retro flavor).  Having labels would be even more helpful.

8 minutes ago, Davenaut said:

I agree, more could be done for planetary navigation, and beacons are an easy way to do it.  I like the idea of seeing them below the horizon, or at least having them cut through the cloud layer. 

Changing the color is handy but not enough. 

I really wish I could give them at least an eight character label (could be more than 8 characters, but 8-character naming has that computer retro flavor).  Having labels would be even more helpful.

I second that!

+1 to both of these ideas. Hell they could add a mark around the edge of the compass that appears when you hover your mouse over the player.

6 hours ago, Davenaut said:

I would even go as far as to propose a 3 character label.  There is this mobile game I have called Space Agency which lets you create waypoints with a 3 character label, and it requires a bit of creativity to come up with recognizable names but I quite like it.  The moon waypoint is LUN, Earth is HOM, Mars is RED, the main space station is STA, and so on.  Either way, a restrictive character limit would definitely go well with the retro-futuristic feel of Astroneer.

Visible on the horizon, and/or visible underground too.

Some depth number would also be nice...for example -200m means underground, +30m above ground lvl...

The three-character names remind me of the old GPSs that allowed you to set way points.  The early ones used a three number system.  Sure, you can still be creative with 3 characters!

On 2/14/2019 at 1:59 AM, Palanova said:

Visible on the horizon, and/or visible underground too.

Some depth number would also be nice...for example -200m means underground, +30m above ground lvl...

I love this idea!

At the very least beacons should be visible on the horizon. They should also be re-nameable, have more colours, more icons and there should be some method to hide those you don't need to see (filters). So you can add (for example) a beacon when you find a resource then be able to toggle the visibility of beacons for resources you don't need now so you can see the ones you do.

I agree with the idea that beacon markers should not disappear behind hills, go under the horizon or be buried by clouds! If they are radio markers, that should never happen. Making a string of beacons when driving a rover around is annoying, not fun. I also like the idea of a 3 letter identifier - much better then the color scheme we have right now, and yet it's small enough so it wouldn't clutter the landscape. I'd love an actual working compass that's on the HUD too. The one we have only works when walking, not driving, and even then it's barely unusable.