Autosave. There is no excuse

MCorgano

How is there still not an autosave feature in the "full release" of this game.

This is the most basic quality of life thing you can have. Nothing annoys people more than losing hours of work because the software crashes. Even microsoft, a MULTI-BILLION dollar company, with HUNDREDS of developers has autosave in microsoft word (a mature, well-developed software). IF anyone could write software stable enough and confidently enough to not need autosave it is microsoft - and yet even they include it in all their office products. LEARN FROM THE GOOD IDEAS OF BILLIONAIRES! Prevent people getting pissed off from loosing hours of work. Add autosave. It REALLY can't be that hard - you even have a menu for saves now.

I mean, really... How?

I'm sure this isn't the first time they've thought about auto-save. I'm fairly new to this game and I've heard it suggested many times. I would argue that the reasoning for not having auto-save is that the software is NOT stable and mature enough for it. What happens if you fall through the earth right as or after an auto save happens? Or you get thrown into space right as or before an auto-save happens? This game has bugs that are present that would require you to delete your save game if an in-opportune auto-save happened. While it sucks to lose an hour of your game because of a crash, it sounds much more painful to lose your entire game because of a poorly timed auto-save. With saves happening on demand at certain points, it helps maintain the save files integrity. What if there's no real status for "flying in space"? Maybe the save file tries to save it anyways and now you have a corrupted save file.

I'm not saying this is the excuse of the developers or this is definitely why there isn't an auto-save feature. I'm simply suggesting that the issue may be more complex than just "Microsoft Office has auto-save, why doesn't Astroneer?!".