Gargoyle Girl

Alignment Mod doesn't level correctly

This mod is supposed to create a level surface in alignment with the curvature of the planet right? When I use it to make roads though, I find that the longer they are, the higher up off the ground they climb.

I've made two paths so far. Each from my main base to an alien tower. In each case, here is what I needed to do.

1. Lay the path down starting at the base.

2. Stop making the path before it got too high up off the ground at the far end.

3. go to the tower in question and start making a path from there.

4. Meet up someplace in the middle, then shave off the excessive height from the first path. I am unable to go too far with this either, since if I do, it begins again slowly climbing upwards.

Since this mod is following the curvature of the planet, and I know the surface isn't slowly climbing into the sky, I feel there must be some kind of problem involved in how it's working. The only thing I can guess is that when using it at it's extreme distance (trying to level the ground at the furthest reach of the mod) its actually adding a bit to the height each time, ending with you going increasingly higher by small increments until you're up in the air above the surrounding terrain.

I'm guessing this got changed to follow a "true" flat from it's initial point. Depending on who you ask, this is an improvement. Most players would rather build perfectly flat floors for their base, rather than bigger bases that stay flat.

Was it ever changed? Must be before my time in Astroneer in that case. I always remember it aligning relative to gravity at your initial starting point, and beyond that, working just like CTRL flatten. untill you pause digging.

In my opinion, chancing it to follow the planets curvature for longer stretches would be a welcomed change. As long as the normal CTRL flatten remains unchanged. Just align your starting point with the mod, and use normal unmoded flatten from there for the big uncurved flats. Which is exactly what one would do anyway? wouldnt change anything would it? except add options for those who prefer some curves ;)

Short term solution, though far from perfect, would be to realign with the mod every few meters. This would more closely follow the curvature.

On 2/12/2019 at 5:23 PM, blooblahguy said:

I'm guessing this got changed to follow a "true" flat from it's initial point. Depending on who you ask, this is an improvement. Most players would rather build perfectly flat floors for their base, rather than bigger bases that stay flat.

I rather doubt that is what's going on since it is no longer possible to attain true flat in 1.0+ at this point.

I don't know what happened but it doesn't align as well as it used to... It seems like it depends not only where you are at but which direction you are facing(North, South, West, East) but I'm not even sure that that's the case!? It seems to be totally random at times!