Brad Owens

What is a RTG? please explain to me?

radioisotope thermoelectric generator, is permanent type of power generator that doesn't require fuel - the type that your initial habitat has attached to it. Function like the 02 generator but for power.

Edited by ThePlumGate

Its the same thing that Matt Damon uses in The Martian, although he is using for generating heat not power :), RTG uses the heat resulted from nuclear decay to generate electricity.

Its an actual a thing, not sci-fi mambo-jambo, its used to power satelites. space probes (Voyager 1 and 2 are powered by an RTG) and space missions (theres a RTG abandoned on the moon by one of the Apollo program).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radioisotope_thermoelectric_generator

Edited by Donbother

They also use the RTG's to power up the distant lighthouses for example in the northern part of Syberia, where many of those RTG got missing. So it is real technology.

Hi... I think there was rumors going about this awhile ago. Anyway, Navi seems intresting, i really hope there will be '9700pro days' again, my pc could see a Navi GPU in it in the coming years, or its successor.
I think we all want AMD to succeed so theres more competition against Nvidia, that would be more healthy for the pc/gaming market. If you can tell anything, feel free to enlighten us.

2 hours ago, FloraJay said:

Hi... I think there was rumors going about this awhile ago. Anyway, Navi seems intresting, i really hope there will be '9700pro days' again, my pc could see a Navi GPU in it in the coming years, or its successor.
I think we all want AMD to succeed so theres more competition against Nvidia, that would be more healthy for the pc/gaming market. If you can tell anything, feel free to enlighten us.

Necro