ssutcliffe

How to solve the tether lag issue

Many people have complained about lagging when you have large tether lines - which can happen more often now that we might want to dig to the center of the earth to open teleport gateways, not to mention long lines to surface gates. 

It turns out the problem happens because if you connect separate lines to the same source (ie the base) or branch, that counts as all one giant line that needs to be updated when you add a tether. The way around this is to use the oxygenator that you build for the shuttles to produce oxygen. It happily works without power just as long as it's on a platform, and if you get tether lag, you can put long lines on their own private network using an oxygen machine, such as those mega long lines to the center of the earth or overland routes to the Gate. Voila, 500 tethers go to 250 or less and no more lag on any of them! 

Not gonna lie, I'm tired of reading those "wayarounds" knowing that this bug has been here since the early phases of the game.
It is litterally the main mechanic of exploration in Astroneer : cheap, oxygen providing & more importantly a Ariadne's Thread for everyone loving exploration and not wanting to get lost.

And, at this day of Official Release, it isn't fixed. That is honestly the most insane thing I've ever seen on a Indie game. It's like Minecraft would have been launched officially without the torches producing light. Wtf?

I totally understand this is awful to fix, but if something as important as tethers causes lag for 100% players that play like it's supposed to be, just because the network system is bad-thought, you have to cancel the release and keep it in EA...

I was wondering whether something like your suggested solution would work. Thanks for the information that it actually does. Now all I need to do is make the required equipment and set up some dedicated tether lines. I have been dealing with 5-7 seconds of tether placement lag on Sylva for a while now.

Edited by Flyingcrowbar

OK, so I made some platforms and some oxygenators and separated some of my tether lines from the base and it eliminated the lag issue that I was having when placing or removing tethers to those long lines. However, fixing the lag problem created another problem. The tether lines that run off the oxygenator supply oxygen just fine, but they don't supply any power. I am going to see if adding an RTG or other power source will "Power" the tether line too, but at this point I would call your suggestion a partial solution. I suppose you could carry a small solar or small wind generator on your astroneer to solve this issue, but I want to see if the entire line can be powered by adding a generator to it. I will let you know what happens.

I found that placing an oxygenator every 25-50 tethers decreases when placing because they're seperated into blocks instead of being one complex mass that the game has to render at one time.

OK, I have a tether line that runs completely around the planet in a North-South direction, and another that runs around the planet in an East-West direction on the equator and links the 4 Gateways along the equator. Since these 2 lines cross at 2 points on opposite sides of the planet, I decided to separate them at one of the crossings using my base to supply one line and 3 oxygenators to supply the other 3 lines. As I said the lines supplied by only the oxygenator has no electric power on them. I built a single RTG and used extenders to link it to the platforms for the 3 oxygenators and now all of my tether lines have Oxygen and power as well. Just make sure that the power is flowing the correct way from the platform that the RTG is on and you should be set. Oh, and don't forget to put a single tether gap in the lines at the other crossing point as well or the lines will still all be linked.