Sometimes when I am traveling on a rover, I completely lose track on where my base is. The beacon no longer helps, as I am usually on the other side of the planet. The only way I found is to die, which is a pointless way, unless I am finding the gateways. It would be nice if I could craft something via my backpack and it points where my base is, and maybe a vehicle too. If it's too OP, you would make an attachment to the backpack and also where it would also point, as in there would be a sending end and a receiving end, so basically a better beacon.

Make several beacons and put them on the top of hills and spread them out. There's always quartz around somewhere to make more.

Also follow the dense patch of stars.

Also remember the compass heading.

Just saying.

You can always use the big purples for navigation 

If you tend to get lost a lot set up a trail leading to the north most big purple (look at your players compass to get there)

next time you get lost use the compass to go north where you should find the big purple and follow your trail

Yep, leave a breadcrumb trail of beacons behind you and follow them back.

Or build a new base and launch a shuttle to find your original base from orbit, like I did when I got lost. 😄

But yes, a better way to find a base would be a great idea.

Edited by njord8472

Make a road of beacon or tethers from your base to the North Pole... when you get lost, go North and then follow your road back.

On 2/11/2019 at 5:21 AM, Talon Bennett said:

Sometimes when I am traveling on a rover, I completely lose track on where my base is. The beacon no longer helps, as I am usually on the other side of the planet. The only way I found is to die, which is a pointless way, unless I am finding the gateways. It would be nice if I could craft something via my backpack and it points where my base is, and maybe a vehicle too. If it's too OP, you would make an attachment to the backpack and also where it would also point, as in there would be a sending end and a receiving end, so basically a better beacon.

Good idea