Sign in to follow this  
JDub

Do I really have to build a ramp down to the core after activating the surface teleporters? [spoilers]

On Desolo. I activated the 2 surface teleporters. I can teleport between the 2 surface nodes. 

Now I want to get to the core. From a gameplay perspective it seems like I should be able to teleport from the surface nodes down to the core. But I can't, nothing happens when I click on the core node in the "odd stone" interface. 

So I suppose I'm gonna need to build a ramp down to the core? Is that right? And on every planet? Hmm, not sure how I feel about that. 

I suggest putting a drill on the front of a tractor and digging straight down you’ll get were you need to go real fast

On 2/11/2019 at 6:19 AM, JDub said:

On Desolo. I activated the 2 surface teleporters. I can teleport between the 2 surface nodes. 

Now I want to get to the core. From a gameplay perspective it seems like I should be able to teleport from the surface nodes down to the core. But I can't, nothing happens when I click on the core node in the "odd stone" interface. 

So I suppose I'm gonna need to build a ramp down to the core? Is that right? And on every planet? Hmm, not sure how I feel about that. 

OPTIONAL. Depends on the player you are is if it is a Yes or No activity.

You only need to activate one surface node on a planet to drop the cores forcefield.

However all that mcguffin is OPTIONAL, its a completionist pursuit that has no bearing on the game but giving you teleport access that takes way much time to unlock.  So the convenience may not be worth the time spent... cause I got a spaceship :P

Unlocking each planet core gives you achievement, a suit, colour option, dance emote.

You should do it at least once, cause Astronium at the core is great research earnings for Bytes. 

You can leave the rest until endgame if you don't want the fluff then you can go kamikaze with a Drill 3 Tractor + RTG + Portable Oxygenator combo, surface to the core in 10-15 minutes if you don't glitch or die :P

Edited by Dirtyshadow

I went a different route as didn’t have a repackager to bring my rover and drill back up.

i made a drill mod 1 and booster mod, filled my bag with 4 resin, 3 organic, 2 O2 canisters and a small generator.

i then made my way to the closest surface node in my rover placing a few beacons along the way to find my way back. 

Take note of what node you are at then jump of the side and start drilling straight down, I have the generator going to power the drill and mod and then make oxygen filters as my 02 levels get low (craft these one at a time as you need them) 

there are a couple of cave drops to watch out for but if your careful it shouldn’t be a problem, took me about 2-3 mins to get to the bottom. 

Once at the center you do what you need to do depending on which core it is then teleport back to the node you took note of in which you have your rover sat waiting for you.

no collateral way to get to the core, works well for me I even go back and fourth to farm astronium this way 

The easiest way to go Sylva's core and back for me is to unlock the boost mod (1 zinc), wide mod (1 zinc) and the first drill mod (1 ceramic), and plenty of tethers. Make a hole near your base at about 45º down or steeper, and keep digging down and flattening the ramp until you reach the third cave layer. Then, dig another 45º ramp down facing the opposite direction for three more layers, and repeat until you reach the last cave layer with the purple nodes. Make a hole straight down against the purple node and you're in the core. Just waltz in dropping tethers, and don't forget to bring your quartz (or three). With this approach you will dig up plenty of malachite, laterite, sphalerite, ammonium and ASTRONIUM (1,000 bytes per bundle every 2.5 minutes can't be beat, except for a stroll inside Atrox caves, where the little research nuggets give over 400 bytes apiece, but I digress) along the way, and you will make the path to the core an easier one. You can surf your way down or bring a buggy...

Same approach for the rest of the planets, except use a better drill mod for the harder planets...

You can dig down with terrain tool, build the down rapms with tethers and walk down. Or.

Attach a drill head 3 fron of a medium rover, or two drill head 3 fron of a large rover and just drive down.

Building ramps has an advantage. You can drive up on them. If you just drive down without ramps, you could have hard work to drive up, drill a new tunnel to go up, and there are some big caves where it will be a pain to build a ramp up...