Ishtu

The Exchange platform "breaks" the game

12 minutes ago, Tomash said:

Some common resources are rare in other planets? Then change the price according to rarity! Make prices in Trade Platform unique for each type of planet, depending on mineral abundance. Just like in real life - market economy, baby ;-) But nerf that Fuel Condenser, this thing causes all the trouble, not Trade Platform.

That's a good idea, but as I said before the fuel condenser doesn't cause a problem. If you don't like that you can grind a resource then don't use it that way. Use it for emergencies only like me.

1 minute ago, Slywyn said:

The Trade Platform/Fuel Condenser as-is are practically required if you're going to do anything at all on some of the planets. Barren/Arid/Radioactive/Exotic planets all have basically nothing in the way of Compound/Resin resources(I've found SOME sometimes, but they're very rare), and if you're trying to set up a base on those planets without a Spaceship(As in, only a Shuttle) then the only way to get resources to that planet, without using the shuttle over and over(Which requires fuel which is part of the 'problem') is to trade for them with the platform.

The game doesn't seem to care about 'balance', it cares about exploring and adventuring. The Trade Platform/Fuel Condenser don't prevent you from exploring OR adventuring.

I say leave them as is, unless you want to add resin and compound to every single planet available.

Exactly... The game is about exploring, as it stands now it's not supposed to be a challenging survival game, and the secs have said they will add difficulty settings in the future for those that may want more of a challenge. 

7 hours ago, SquidLord said:

The entire premise of this thread is ludicrous.

Dude, the goal here is not to judge which playstyle is best to which player or to criticize the interest of the game or whatever it is...
This thread is there to signify that a single platform cancels all the interest of the game in itself for some players. Dude, it's a sandbox, you can play as you like, nobody will judge you ! 

If I created this tread, it was to have the opinion of other players about this system, I don't judge the game, the players or developers or their ideas. It is only a subject to discuss a system of infinite resources for free.

Yes, you can pretend it did not exist and go outside to collect few resources with your truck, but it is there. The interest of this is precisely to speak here when the game is still in alpha. If I was playing in release, yes, we could complain on this platform which cancels all the pleasure of exploration and especially the collection of resources, but we don't. So why can't we talk together, between players ?

So, no, this topic is not ridiculous, and it is not ridiculous to discuss about it.
We are not talking here of a cheat or a glitch or crying on it, just about a potential and abusive use of a system of exchange with nobody and nowhere. 

32 minutes ago, Ishtu said:

Dude, the goal here is not to judge which playstyle is best to which player or to criticize the interest of the game or whatever it is...
This thread is there to signify that a single platform cancels all the interest of the game in itself for some players. Dude, it's a sandbox, you can play as you like, nobody will judge you ! 

If I created this tread, it was to have the opinion of other players about this system, I don't judge the game, the players or developers or their ideas. It is only a subject to discuss a system of infinite resources for free.

Yes, you can pretend it did not exist and go outside to collect few resources with your truck, but it is there. The interest of this is precisely to speak here when the game is still in alpha. If I was playing in release, yes, we could complain on this platform which cancels all the pleasure of exploration and especially the collection of resources, but we don't. So why can't we talk together, between players ?

So, no, this topic is not ridiculous, and it is not ridiculous to discuss about it.
We are not talking here of a cheat or a glitch or crying on it, just about a potential and abusive use of a system of exchange with nobody and nowhere. 

A system that you can choose not to use.

You can play the game however you like.

If you don't like the trade platform/fuel condenser, then don't use it.

It is that simple.

This isn't a competitive game. What other people do literally does not matter to you in the slightest.

I think it should definitely be possible to earn all your resources through trading, however you should really have to think about which resources you're selling and which you're buying.
If they could figure out a system where the values of resources could change over time then trading could be a legitimate way to gain resources. Excuse me if this makes little sense: posting this at 04:30..

Just now, Swedneck said:

I think it should definitely be possible to earn all your resources through trading, however you should really have to think about which resources you're selling and which you're buying.
If they could figure out a system where the values of resources could change over time then trading could be a legitimate way to gain resources. Excuse me if this makes little sense: posting this at 04:30..

They want to add an actual economy later, they said.

I agree with Squidlord ... there's no imbalance in a pre-alpha game, we're playing with toys, it's not even feature complete. Heck, you're not even 'playing a game' at this stage, you'rep laying with a half-baked digging simulator. It's heaps of fun, but it's more practical to suggest features/report bugs than it is to say one minor aspect out of a dozen things that actually exist in the game at this point is 'too powerful'.

3 hours ago, tenabrae said:

I agree with Squidlord ... there's no imbalance in a pre-alpha game, we're playing with toys, it's not even feature complete. Heck, you're not even 'playing a game' at this stage, you'rep laying with a half-baked digging simulator. It's heaps of fun, but it's more practical to suggest features/report bugs than it is to say one minor aspect out of a dozen things that actually exist in the game at this point is 'too powerful'.

Too powerful in a non-competitive, cooperative, exploration-driven game where the resources are just a means to an end, and not the end itself, no less.

If you don't like  don't use it. Some of us like it. And personally this game is extremely well balanced. I go out mine and explore because it's fun. But I don't want to be forced to mine coal when I can just trade for it.

This games amount of time required to build is perfect. I rather spend 10 hours building multiple colonies then spending 10 hour's on one.

And I agree with squid lord. Y'all gotta stop worrying abouf bow others play.

The key to a fun game is making repetition fun. Not creating repition for fun. Just look at all the modern open world games, Collection fest.

Edited by Winters

What they should do is require fuel for the rocket, and you can sell the extra at a slightly lower price. 

This is not a matter of playstyle, this is absolutely broken in terms of how much you can do with some free fuel. 

21 hours ago, Serlo said:

Agreed I don't like how it is.  We shouldn't be able to not leave our bases and generate resources.  A simple fix would be to have hydrozine cost resources to build, which I think it would cost more than just power.

Simple fix would be for players not to exploit it and go mining themselves.

Theres nothing wrong with the trader as it is.   It gives you a small number of resources per trade, 4 compound for 1 titanium.  I can mine 16 compound before you can gather 4 pods and transport them back and I'm playing the game instead of standing still, thinking you're exploiting the game, when in fact you're only exploiting yourself.

Later on there will probably be researched stuff that uses 4 titanium or more to build, the games just come out on ea.  Forget about balancing things until everything is working.

12 hours ago, Ishtu said:

Could argue that this thread is to demand a nerf to a system people use rarely, which would make it almost useless to them.   The issue with people loosing interest is due to them using the trader too much, that's their fault, everyone else shouldn't have to suffer because they don't want to gather resources.

5 hours ago, p1nkbr0 said:

What they should do is require fuel for the rocket, and you can sell the extra at a slightly lower price. 

This is not a matter of playstyle, this is absolutely broken in terms of how much you can do with some free fuel. 

It isn't broken.  There's nothing wrong with it, if you think you're getting too much from it, don't use it.

I feel like 4 or 8 fuel should equal 1 compound/resin, otherwise it's way too efficient to use the condenser for all resources. 

2 hours ago, ZacD said:

I feel like 4 or 8 fuel should equal 1 compound/resin, otherwise it's way too efficient to use the condenser for all resources. 

Then don't use it.

6 hours ago, Winters said:

Okay how is it broken, how does it affect you?

I think what we're getting at here is not the trade platform, but the value of fuel. The trade platform works as intended, but the price of fuel is much more than it should be.

I'd say value is fine, they just need to add another requirement other then electricity. Because nothing is going to stop me from making 100 if all i need is electricity. 

Edited by Winters

After reading through this a few days later it seems that most people don't think that the ability to trade for resources is not broken, the ease of doing so is when combined with the condenser. Because it currently "Costs" nothing more than extra fuel for the act of trading, we are able to build up very fast. 

I like that we can trade, but I want the trade to cost both some resources and more time. As an alpha it's best that we have the trade in game already rather than not.

I get more fuel from the ground than I do from the condenser.   My base is overun with storages full of fuel.  It's good that I can use it to swap it for something more useful, like resin or compound, which I can actually use.

If the system at fault here is exploitable.. it's no more exploitable that using solar or wind power.  You get unlimited daylight solar power and if you place a wind generator on a mtn you get unlimited wind power all day and all night.  Are you going to complain about that as well?

If you don't like the way it is, don't use it like you are.  I've met people in my games who are scared of going into the caves because of the nasty plants.. they stand all day next to a condenser.. then log out 20mins later saying they're bored.  Well what do you expect? Go out.. explore..it's actually fun dealing with nasty plants.

2 hours ago, webluke said:

After reading through this a few days later it seems that most people don't think that the ability to trade for resources is not broken, the ease of doing so is when combined with the condenser. Because it currently "Costs" nothing more than extra fuel for the act of trading, we are able to build up very fast. 

I like that we can trade, but I want the trade to cost both some resources and more time. As an alpha it's best that we have the trade in game already rather than not.

You also need to research and get the trader to begin with.   I expect in a few months to a year that sitting around pumping out 50 million barrels of fuel to trade them for the 10 titanium you want might make you feel like the game is a challenge.. but I'd rather just mine it.  And use the trader as I need it for that 1 aluminum or 1 lithium I don't want to go and get.

Edited by Martin

On 12/16/2016 at 5:16 PM, Ishtu said:

Hi !

First of all, thank you for this very nice game ! (Then, sorry for the rest, my English is not really good) There are some bugs, but nothing very annoiying with the regular backup.
Anyway, after about 5 hours to explore my planet and a giant cave, I crafted the "Exchange platform" later. You know, the small ship that allows to exchange resources against others.

Before yelling, it's just an information, not a trick to make your party more easier and bored .
This information allows you to stay in your base and collect all resources without moving from just three platforms... It breaks the game's total interest, you don't have to go out to collection any resources, the ships gives you all of this.

Indeed, just make two platforms (one is okay, but with 2, it will be faster) that provide fuel as well as platform with Exchange platform. Then just connect to power, with a solar panel and a battery, or with the wind turbine. Spend the all day on the fuel machine with the solar panel, and with two storages on each platform, you can store 16 fuels per plateform. So you have 32 fuels at the end of the day if you build 2 and 48 if you build 2 storage in the exchange platform. 

At night, you either use the battery or the wind turbine. If you have enough fuel, go and exchange that fuel for resources. That is to say that 4 fuels provide you with 8 common resources and with 8 fuels, 4 or 2 rare resources.

You just have to chain it all up, putting it all in stock and you have unlimited resources for free and without moving.
It's really not fun at all, but it's exist...

I think you should modify the Exchange platform. Maybe to remove rare resources or increase the cost and lower those received in return.
With this current platform, there is no longer any interest in going out to collect the resources in the magnificent caverns or planets... You just have to build this plateforms and wait. 

I know this is not the goal of this game, but why you have to drive with your truck all the day when you just have to spend fuel and wait rare ressources ? This is dumb. In my opinion, the exchange platform shoud be used for spend resources on an other planet, but not nowhere and return with this stuff.

This is an exemple in my 1st base :
http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2016/50/1481933013-sans-titre-2.png
(it's my first base, so, that's really weird and not really optimized)

Fellow Astroneers and I had a discussion on this same topic here:

That's because the topic is, well... inaccurate. In my opinion the Fuel Condenser is causing all this mess with lack of game balance. Trade Platform in my opinion is working fine, the only change I would make is different minerals rarity on different planets and prices related to it. But making Hydrazine from energy only? Guys, even the God needed a few million years to do it (fossil fuel) ;-) If the Fuel Condenser needed another component, like Coal or Organics, it would be much better.

it doesn't give very rare resource like Astronium iirc. TBH i love the trade platform right now, Because i don't have to enter the cave much. If my cave have too many Copper I can just trade them for Aluminium.

With that said I still Explore a lot. until the Framerate fall below 20 then i start the new game and do it all over again.