Knuxton

Bigger, better worklight (floodlight)

A more powerful, directional worklight (some kind of floodlight) would be nice. Something medium-size (two-slot) that could be mounted on a vehicle or crane. The helmet light sometimes just isn't enough to see where you're going while driving, especially on difficult terrain or underground. This would make exploring large caverns much more fun because you could sweep the floodlight around up walls and ceilings with the crane to spot resources in difficult locations, or just have better forward visibility with it mounted on a vehicle. For balance, it could even have a narrower focus, almost like a spotlight. Recipe could be Glass + Aluminum Alloy.

+1

AWESOME!

This reminds me of the floodlight in Mewnbase (if anyone plays that). It would make an easy way to find your base or spot something in the dark. Imagine setting up some of these near a purple!

Research Cost? Anyone? My idea is 800 Bytes.

20 hours ago, 4546B said:

I agree, the lamp that we already have just isn't bright enough.

in some cases too bight when close to terrain. But drops off oooh so fast.. i mean check out Z1s chandelier. Blinding bright but doesnt even reach the floor. Far as i can tell, worklight didnt change with 1.0.

6 minutes ago, CopperyMarrow15 said:

+1

AWESOME!

This reminds me of the floodlight in Mewnbase (if anyone plays that). It would make an easy way to find your base or spot something in the dark. Imagine setting up some of these near a purple!

Research Cost? Anyone? My idea is 800 Bytes.

I played mewnbase but then i paWsed the game  ;)

But yes such floodlight would be cool. 800 bytes seems a bit cheap to me. maybe 1000-2000 ?

Edited by Hermann

1 minute ago, Hermann said:

800 bytes seems a bit cheap to me. maybe 1000-2000 ?

Would this be more of a late game item, do you think? I set that amount because it would be easy for people to get early in game.

6 minutes ago, CopperyMarrow15 said:

Would this be more of a late game item, do you think? I set that amount because it would be easy for people to get early in game.

Early to mid game i'd say? i mean early we already got worklight, granted it is pretty bad, but gives us a reason to upgrade.

Just considering the size, and light impact such a floodlight would give, 800 seems cheap, thats all. But If you want it early get it early. Prioritize what you prefer. Research isnt all that hard to come by in my opinion.

Edited by Hermann

Could come in different sizes even. from small to large printer. With appropriate research costs. Bigger ones at least should draw a littlebit of power i'd say. As opposed to current worklight that just needs power to be present, and doesnt actually use any.

Edited by Hermann

Good idea! Subnautica has these, and they're a great prop for base building. In Astro in particular, I could see how they could be very useful for exploration in addition to being a nifty decoration.

I'd also like to add the suggestion that they consume a tiny amount of electric power while running. So if you want to set up a dig site with floodlights, well, come prepared with a power source for them. Bring a pack of extenders along with your three floodlights. Maybe a splitter too, and hook the whole shebang up to your rover for juice.

On 2/11/2019 at 1:03 PM, Hermann said:

Early to mid game i'd say? i mean early we already got worklight, granted it is pretty bad, but gives us a reason to upgrade.

Just considering the size, and light impact such a floodlight would give, 800 seems cheap, thats all. But If you want it early get it early. Prioritize what you prefer. Research isnt all that hard to come by in my opinion.

1500 maybe. It doesn't really matter because, as you said, research is quite easy to come by.