HahaEasy

Small RTG / Portable RTG

I have a suggestion that is similar to the RTG and the portable oxygenator

Name:  Small RTG or Portable RTFG

Bytes Cost: 20,000

Flow Rate: 1.0 (Same as Small Generator)

Recipe: 1x Nanocarbon Alloy + Hydrogen

Purpose: Add something extremely late game to power portable oxygenated 24/7 or when colonising a new base you can put this down to have some start. Basically just small but good portable power when you need it. 

ALTERNATE

Bytes Cost: 30,000

Flow Rate: 2.0 (Same as Medium Solar / half of regular RTG

Recipe: Same

23 minutes ago, ArthurExtreme_Br said:

the backpack already have a portable RTG, it slowyy recharges with time

no. it only recharges through tethers or other attached power sources. The slow recharge you see if probably from a tether to a shuttle without extra power. This would produce a slow recharge over time.

Would be nice to have a backpack RTG that would power the portable oxygenator continuously.   I haven't found a use for the portable oxygenator yet because it takes too much power. 

12 hours ago, probro said:

Would be nice to have a backpack RTG that would power the portable oxygenator continuously.   I haven't found a use for the portable oxygenator yet because it takes too much power. 

Yep

On 2/10/2019 at 2:08 PM, ArthurExtreme_Br said:

the backpack already have a portable RTG, it slowyy recharges with time

Yeah this feels like a cheat more than something that's needed, to be perfectly honest.

2 hours ago, Bomoo said:

Yeah this feels like a cheat more than something that's needed, to be perfectly honest.

The portable oxygenator is unusable unless on glacio with 3 wind turbines. This would be a very late game item that is 20k bytes and 1x Nanocarbon alloy. Seems perfectly fair.

Well, i think that an RTG tier 2 with enough power to power a portable oxygenator that would use 1 slot and would be extremely expensive would be a good idea. When i say extremely expensive, i mean 100,000 bytes, 5 double compacted nanocrbon alloy, because just heaps of nanocarbon alloy wouldn't make sense because it would be tiny, 4 compacted silicone, 10 compacted graphene and 1 triple compacted titanium alloy. I am saying "compacted" because the end game resources aren't hard enough to get and to make it harder, a "compacted" version could mean that it would go into a machine that would "compact" them by compressing two of the previous compact into one. Forexample a "double comoacted" compound would require two "compacted" compunds which would require two compound stacks each. Or there could be rarer resources added. 

I really wish there was permanent upgrades for the backpack and terrain tool so items like this aren't needed.  It would be great to have an upgraded backpack with an integrated rtg and oxygenator. I hate having to waste carrying space on modules. But yeah a portable rtg with the same power level as the small generator would be great. Right now the only use for the portable oxygenator is placing it on vehicles so you can deploy tethers from your vehicle. Which is something you rarely need to do anyway. 

On 2/11/2019 at 2:51 AM, probro said:

On 2/11/2019 at 10:51 PM, HahaEasy said:

The portable oxygenator is unusable unless on glacio with 3 wind turbines. This would be a very late game item that is 20k bytes and 1x Nanocarbon alloy. Seems perfectly fair.

Well I would argue that if you are trying to run it continuously on your backpack, you are doing it wrong. Rather, put it in an active slot and toggle it on as needed. The portable oxygenator provides oxygen at 10 times the rate of consumption(to all connected astroneers). With an "on" power consumption of 1.35, this means the average power needed for infinite oxygen is only 0.135 power! Incidentally it only takes a 27% wind up time for a small wind turbine to give you this. For reference, one test showed wind up time to be about 42% on Sylva

That said, personally I would prefer it if power consumption of the portable oxygenator was proportional to your oxygen consumption, dropping drastically once your tank(s) were full.

Edited by Hermann

Personally, i have 1 portable generaror, 1 small wind turbine, 1 small oxygen tank and 1 small battery on my backpack and it seems that whenever i want to replenish my oxygen, i have power. Plus, 1 small battery combined with a portable oxygenator is better than two small oxygen tanks

I made a post of this (pending aproval) and my idea was a RTG that gives you less power than what the portable oxygenator uses, like 50% or 75%, so it would be a nice endgame option but without ruinning the game, also, it would be good using nanocarbon alloy + astronium or use a new material or alloy.

On 2/18/2019 at 7:32 PM, Hermann said:

That said, personally I would prefer it if power consumption of the portable oxygenator was proportional to your oxygen consumption, dropping drastically once your tank(s) were full.

It would be nicer (maybe in the automation updates) if generators (like the oxygenator and power) went into stand-by when oxygen/power was full, turning back on when they reach a certain threshold.

You would only need to keep your generators fed.

I have noticed (on my game) that i can only turn the generators/oxygenator on with C/V if the backpack is open anyway, which defeats the purpose of the aux slots (worklight functions fine without the backpack open) is this a bug?

2 hours ago, Flatulent Badger said:

I have noticed (on my game) that i can only turn the generators/oxygenator on with C/V if the backpack is open anyway, which defeats the purpose of the aux slots (worklight functions fine without the backpack open) is this a bug?

Havent had this issue myself. The only thing that prevents the use of hotkeys for me is having the dig tool active. I must disable it by pushing E before c/v will work.

Edited by Hermann

On 2/22/2019 at 9:29 PM, Hermann said:

Havent had this issue myself.

I figured out the issue. and yes, it was the dig tool

Edited by Flatulent Badger