Sign in to follow this  
QuantumLlama

(Astroneer v1.0.3, Xbox One) General issues with multiplayer

I couldn't find a thread specifically about Xbox One multiplayer issues, so I'm writing here for cleanliness.

Date: 09/02/2019

Platform: Xbox One

Game: Astroneer v1.0.3

Summary: Frame rate and terrain issues on both host and client ends if multiplayer session.

Description: Players 1 and 2 were already in a session, with P1 hosting. Player 3 (myself) joined later as a client. Upon loading I noted that the frame rate was quite jarring, with some control lagging. P1 mentioned that they were having considerable issues with frame rate too, so bad that it was affecting their eyes. We all also noticed that terrain collision was off, particularly with tethers positioning above the apparent terrain. After P1 gave up and left the session, I decided to try the solo mode. To my pleasant surprise the game ran perfectly smoothly and was very enjoyable.

Additional info: I am aware of the v1.0.4 release on Steam, and hope that upon release to Xbox One (pending Microsoft approval I'm sure) this issue will be mitigated at least. I'm also aware that the current client/host layout means that host performance is expected to suffer slightly as it is performing more calculations for the service. However this then somehow also leaks into client performance. The resolution to this issues seems to lie within that domain.

Thank you,

The QuantumLlama