valevma

Toggle Medium Storage Position

The ability to choose when and where a Medium Storage unit unfolds to the flat position. If it’s on the Ground, if it’s in the middle of a Platform, or if it’s on a Vehicle. Not just when it is on the side of a Large Platform B. However, I feel if there was a button hovering over the Medium Storage unit, it would cause clutter, so I recommend achieving this a different way. Perhaps a button press while holding the item, I’m not sure.

+10,000

Medium storage don't have a "use" action, re-use the hook on machines that opens the control panel, and instead make it toggle standing up or flat. 

8 hours ago, MCorgano said:

+10,000

Medium storage don't have a "use" action, re-use the hook on machines that opens the control panel, and instead make it toggle standing up or flat. 

Yes, I realized shortly after posting that there is some easy solutions to how it would be done,for example like that; holding a button for a short time while hovering over it.

I agree 1000% with this post. Should just be able to hold F just like you toggle machines on and off to toggle the medium storage from flat to upright.

On 2/14/2019 at 6:27 PM, lost.ninja said:

The "Use" button for the medium storage is the same as "pick up and carry button".

Simple solution

Press E (use)

• If its on a platform or vehicle
    • open or close toggle
  • else
    • carry it

15 hours ago, MCorgano said:

Simple solution

Press E (use)

• If its on a platform or vehicle
    • open or close toggle
  • else
    • carry it

I'd prefer a separate dedicated key, for extra uses. Re-purposing existing keys means that if people already use them for something they have to relearn/re-educate their muscle memory/etc

It should be the same way you turn machines on and off, where you hover over and hold the button, I play on Xbox so it would be holding the X button, I'm not sure on PC, but they have a whole keyboard of options so finding the right control shouldn't be an issue either way.

Might I suggest adding a 3rd configuration for these to cycle through while we're at it.  An offset flat layout would let us put these on Large Storage units while flat, without them overlapping at the top or in the middle (keeping things tidy), and also allow us to place them onto an Extra Large Platform B in the same way (up at the top, down at the bottom) without overlapping, to give a 10 column 8 row layout of small items in a single plane.
1693180972_Image111(2).png.d7ce8d9e36940eef2671261b24b02433.png

On 2/19/2019 at 4:04 AM, lost.ninja said:

I'd prefer a separate dedicated key, for extra uses. Re-purposing existing keys means that if people already use them for something they have to relearn/re-educate their muscle memory/etc

Use is the key you use to interact with things. Interacting with the medium storage to open and close it would make exactly as much sense as interacting with machines to activate them, interacting with a seat to sit in it. If your muscle memory is "push this key when i want to interact with what i'm pointing at" then it will be 100% natural and intuitive to use the same key. 

On 2/21/2019 at 7:51 PM, MCorgano said:

Use is the key you use to interact with things. Interacting with the medium storage to open and close it would make exactly as much sense as interacting with machines to activate them, interacting with a seat to sit in it. If your muscle memory is "push this key when i want to interact with what i'm pointing at" then it will be 100% natural and intuitive to use the same key. 

Until this patch (1.0.7) the key you're suggesting that we use was already assigned to something that I used it for in this situation. I get what you're saying but I'd prefer a new key for new functions. Now that they have removed that function from the key - it will no longer be an issue.

Either whatever the control for it is, I just want to be able to unfold the medium storage whenever we want so we can neatly organize items on platforms all nice and flat. That feature should be the focus. I’d really like it to actually happen that’d be swell.

Edited by valevma