Donbother

Terrain 2.0 - please tell me theres something wrong with it and its being fixed as we speak

Hi,

First, i got 243 hours playing astroneer.

Second, my profession is software tester; i work on financial banking product not on game testing but still, i consider that it counts.

Having said that, i strongly believe that terrain 2.0 should have been released in beta test before February 6th. Really, the way terrain and caves before Terrain 2.0 (aka T2) looked a lot better and easy to navigate, especially on starter planet. Some planets (like exotic with those damn hollow hills crap) when you reached the mountain areas were indeed dificult to drive but still. On starter planet, with T2 i keep stumbling on these crevasses:
image.thumb.png.dae58bf3931a18086e7d2ef9304ae2bd.png

This one is 10-ish meter wide and 30 ish meters deep, but i found ones that 2-3 m wide and 50 meters deep ... you see it when you are on top of it with your tractor, whats the point of these? I found a few on flat land, no hills or anything near by. It doesnt make any sense!

And the cave, oh boy ! Before T2 you had an oval shape tunnel, most where big enough to drive the buggy in there, it had gentle bends and slopes, quite easy to navigate and fairly easy to keep your bearings. Now we got this crap (sorry, cant find other word to describe it):
image.thumb.png.c60e6f4bcb7dfb9da909169e2cf544d0.png

What did you do? Turn the generate terrain algorithm to random (value 11 most likely)? How is that make sense? And no, i didnt used my terrain tool to deform it in any way.

And some as on the surface, lots of crevasses, slopes at 90 degrees angles, caves are too small and the tunnels (if i can call them that) are just holes in the floor. 

It sadness me greatly that a game that i love playing it for more than a year with joy (even when my vehicles dissapear and found them later in the cave bellow), eager to play a more polished version on release, this kind of nonsense is what i get.

You did a lot of cool new things that i really like (like the tractor, the packager, the new shuttles and more) but this post is about what i hate, and the terrain is not something i could shrug and not use or bypass.

I really hope this terrain non-sense is a glitch or a bug in the terrain generator, cause if this is intended i definetly wont play it anymore.

Cheers,

Don  

Not sure about the first part, that looks fairly normal to me. But procedural generation can do lots of things anyway.

Those floating resources are definitely not intended, though.

This seems like some crazy troll post.

I for one love Terrain 2.0. Now it's much more varied and challenging, not flat and boring.

11 hours ago, Xiox231 said:

This seems like some crazy troll post.

I for one love Terrain 2.0. Now it's much more varied and challenging, not flat and boring.

I mosty agree, terrain 2.0 is certainly more challenging and as a cave dweller I much prefer the complexity of them, I have a nice tunnel road built into my xave to help keep my bearings 

Yep terrain 2.0 is definitly broken in places.  There's missing terrain textures, splits in the terrain allow you to see floating resources etc.

The general terran surface terrain can be abit random, I've had games with endless plains, with almost no mtns at all, others just put mountains and great holes everywhere.  I completely agree with the op.  Terrain 1.0 on Terran was a much nicer generation, but I'd also agree that the other planets are generally quite nice generations as well, except maybe terrans moon which I don't really like at all.

I mean it was just added so cut them a little slack

But i like the big pits and ravines cause it adds a challenge for navigation it also fulfills parts of trailers were the player builds bridges over big gaps

1 hour ago, Rebelord said:

True, it was quite late and frustrated when i wrote the post, maybe ive been to harsh.

Still, i dont mind a little challenge, but lets face it, this is a game where you log, chill and relax ...  especially on Sylva (starter planet). I dont mind gaps of hell on planets marked as Difficult, like Toxic one, which by the way the terrain on surface is a lot gentle than Sylva. 

I dont mind the mind-frakk polygons and fractals in caves deep near the planet core, but the first 2-3 levels should be the ones similar with terrain 1.0.

2 hours ago, Rebelord said:

Yeah I don't know man. I've been here since 12/16 and yeah to still have these issues....
SES history tells me something entirely different. Remember wasn't the time delay in updates to T1 so they could work on T2? Didn't they raise the price? Didn't we have to wait well over a year for a steering fix? Are vehicles still falling through surfaces?
I love SES and everyone that works there and only hope the best for them, however the OP is not so far out in left field IMHO

Remember opinions are like butt-holes in that everybody has one!

+1 to the OP.

He makes fair points, he brings screenshots, and I gotta say it matches personal experience. Even when you drive through a field or open plain, you're guaranteed to drive straight at a ravine of some kind. It makes so little sense, and when you compound it with all the vehicle troubles that came with the game it's just frustrating.

Easy planets should be easy to navigate. Hard planets should be hard to navigate. Simple concept.

Edited by Bluebehir

My starting planet has massive gorges! .. massive.

361420_20190212014815_1.thumb.png.cde4f65fc9c2d46584525e1562a015e7.png

361420_20190212013727_1.thumb.png.ad784820e837149c1f4114e382eb9347.png

361420_20190212013708_1.thumb.png.7ec570a455f3ba4e851dcecda00cb25e.png

I remember when the occasional 'ditch' formed on the surface, an the 'hollow mountain' chasms, but this is just ..epic!

Edited by ThePlumGate
tail end sentence.