I find it strange that all single slot power generating items generate small platforms underneath themselves upon being placed on the ground. This removes the idea of making a platform on which to place these items. Perhaps, one might want to display their modules without this platform underneath. I have an idea that would help this.

Small Platform A (used in place of free platforms, look exactly the same)

Research Cost: Already Researched

Crafted in Backpack Printer

Recipe: 1 Carbon

Please let me know what you think.

This seems more like a hassle then anything as you now need to build a tiny platform.

The current platform really doesn’t take that much away from the structure it is holding 

It is a little strange I agree. If the tiny ones can produce its own platform, then surely bigger ones should be able to. I think its just one of those things we have gotten used to. But I cant deny its handy. And it fits current gameplay.

If you were to need a sepperate platform, would it take up extra space in backpack to?

As for crafting requirement, carbon would require a smelter and lots of energy to make. Seems way to punishing for what is presently the entry level power source.

If we could come up with a better alternative however..

24 minutes ago, Hermann said:

As for crafting requirement, carbon would require a smelter and lots of energy to make. Seems way to punishing for what is presently the entry level power source.

I believe there is another way to get it (at least there was in the old versions) but for now its more useful as a battery 

due to the fact that lithium is not exactly common, we can burn up some organics using power, and we can then store it and use it at a incredibly fast rate

14 hours ago, CopperyMarrow15 said:

@Rebelord  @Hermann

I originally thought about the recipe being 1 Organic instead of 1 Carbon. Perhaps, platforms still appear under some modules but they are still craftable as I would at least like to use them for my storage.

Organic platform seems strange as resin has already been established as the standard for platforms. maybe you could spend one resin and get a bundle of tiny platforms? 2, at the very least. 

Curious as to how a tiny single slot platform would serve a purpose for storage? :)

20 minutes ago, Hermann said:

Organic platform seems strange as resin has already been established as the standard for platforms. maybe you could spend one resin and get a bundle of tiny platforms? 2, at the very least.

good idea! Perhaps, a bundle of 3 for 1 Resin.

20 minutes ago, Hermann said:

Curious as to how a tiny single slot platform would serve a purpose for storage? :)

I think I would like having a grid of them with resources on all of them.

8 minutes ago, CopperyMarrow15 said:

30 minutes ago, Hermann said:

I think I would like having a grid of them with resources on all of them.

Not sure if i understand it right. But going with platform size from small solar, small generator etc. In order to get any significant amount of storage on that, you would have to fill a big area. And storage density would be low given the platform size for one single slot. Why not use medium storage for this purpose? much more dense, and utilizes some vertical space also.

Edited by Hermann

3 minutes ago, Hermann said:

Why not use medium storage for this purpose? much more dense, and utilizes some vertical space also.

I have no reason. We simply both have different opinions and thoughts.

Just now, CopperyMarrow15 said:

I have no reason. We simply both have different opinions and thoughts.

Cool. Let there be options and variety. Let loose creativity. Which is a big part of what the game is about anyway :)

I do have a problem with the recipe you suggest.  Carbon requires a smelter to get.  With the current recipes it's possible to mine two compound, make them into a small printer and small generator, connect them, and begin constructing a base with nothing but what you have on you at all times.  Adding the requirement for carbon means you must have a smelter in order to construct a base, and it would put those tiny platforms in a higher tier than small and medium platforms.  What I would suggest instead would be to go the way of tethers and extenders; have one resin make 2-4 tiny platforms packed together.

That being said, I do like the current system with platforms generated under small things that are placed down.  I understand why it exists: to make it possible to start a base with only your backpack printer and resources that can be found anywhere.  I really like this ability, one time recently I had gone to the exotic planet to find some lithium and while I was there decided to set up a base.  I had brought nothing but my rocket, oxygenator, and tethers for mining but using my backpack printer I created a basic base.

Edited by MarsMatter

28 minutes ago, MarsMatter said:

I do have a problem with the recipe you suggest.  Carbon requires a smelter to get.  With the current recipes it's possible to mine two compound, make them into a small printer and small generator, connect them, and begin constructing a base with nothing but what you have on you at all times.  Adding the requirement for carbon means you must have a smelter in order to construct a base, and it would put those tiny platforms in a higher tier than small and medium platforms.  What I would suggest instead would be to go the way of tethers and extenders; have one resin make 2-4 tiny platforms packed together.

That being said, I do like the current system with platforms generated under small things that are placed down.  I understand why it exists: to make it possible to start a base with only your backpack printer and resources that can be found anywhere.  I really like this ability, one time recently I had gone to the exotic planet to find some lithium and while I was there decided to set up a base.  I had brought nothing but my rocket, oxygenator, and tethers for mining but using my backpack printer I created a basic base.

I have decided on a package of Small Platforms made with 1 Resin.