Hermann

Bring back PAUSE

Pause seems to have disappeared. Previously in singleplayer I would hit escape to open menu which paused the game. Now the only option i can see is to save and quit the game. Dont want to do what every time something comes up.

On 2/8/2019 at 4:04 AM, Wyvyrias said:

This never has been a feature.

I see, well, menu always paused the game for me, which was super handy. I really miss that option.

Are there any plans to implement a pause feature?

2 hours ago, Hermann said:

I see, well, menu always paused the game for me, which was super handy. I really miss that option.

I wouldn't know of any at the moment.

4 hours ago, Hermann said:

Out of curiosity, why do you want to pause the game?

There’s no penalty for letting it ‘run’. Just turn off your fueled generators if youre using them if you care about saving the fuel. 

I sometimes will let the game run on purpose and walk away and do some others things. My character is in no danger, my base is in no danger, and my bytes keep getting researched. Come back in 15 mins or 2 hours and drop another research item to start getting researched. 

I just don’t see the need/point in pausing.

Being on a trip in a cave with 2/3 oxigin left without a tether and hearing your doorbell ring would be a good scenario where "pause" would come in handy...

On 2/23/2019 at 7:26 PM, CaptKaspar said:

Out of curiosity, why do you want to pause the game?

Falling down a hole, no tethers and then your real life kids fall down a hole.

Either you let you char die or............... pause, and deal with it when you have dealt with the real world priority.

On 2/23/2019 at 7:26 PM, CaptKaspar said:

I just don’t see the need/point in pausing.

You most likely have not been called away for some reason while suffocating becuase you dropped down a hole. A hole of which digging would get you out, but you really do need to go AFK for reasons.

44 minutes ago, Flatulent Badger said:

You most likely have not been called away for some reason while suffocating becuase you dropped down a hole. A hole of which digging would get you out, but you really do need to go AFK for reasons.

I have two small children at home (3yrs old and a 4mos old) I am constantly being required to go AFK.

Your character dies its not a big deal. When you’re back at your controls, head to where you died, pick up stuff, continue. You don’t lose anything except some time. This game is full of time sinks. That loss of time is your only death penalty. 

Or stop falling into holes and your problem is solved.

Perhaps plan your adventures knowing that you may have to go AFK in a moments notice? Have a vehicle nearby to save or be close to your tethers. In general this game has a sore lack of needing to plan ahead. My real life responsibilities require me to plan my gaming accordingly. 

An issue that is being overlooked here is that Astroneer is designed to be a MP experience. Even if you are playing SP. It is designed so that a friend on your list can see your game and join you at anytime. There is no separate SP and MP in this game. Every SP game can be a MP game.

So how does pausing work in MP? Does the person you are playing with just have to sit there until you return? Thats a huge waste of time for them. Probably a bigger waste than you going back to where you died. 

20 hours ago, CaptKaspar said:

I have two small children at home (3yrs old and a 4mos old) I am constantly being required to go AFK.

Your character dies its not a big deal. When you’re back at your controls, head to where you died, pick up stuff, continue. You don’t lose anything except some time. This game is full of time sinks. That loss of time is your only death penalty. 

Or stop falling into holes and your problem is solved.

Perhaps plan your adventures knowing that you may have to go AFK in a moments notice? Have a vehicle nearby to save or be close to your tethers. In general this game has a sore lack of needing to plan ahead. My real life responsibilities require me to plan my gaming accordingly. 

An issue that is being overlooked here is that Astroneer is designed to be a MP experience. Even if you are playing SP. It is designed so that a friend on your list can see your game and join you at anytime. There is no separate SP and MP in this game. Every SP game can be a MP game.

So how does pausing work in MP? Does the person you are playing with just have to sit there until you return? Thats a huge waste of time for them. Probably a bigger waste than you going back to where you died. 

I suppose we could just go back and forth on this one, but would it hurt to have one? Even if you could hit escape and have to click a pause option. At least then, you would not be affected as you would need to actively engage the pause function.

As for multi-player, pause would not be needed as you potentially have other people to help you out and look out for you. Im sure SES would be able to implement features for single player separate to MP.

As i say, its an opinion of mine (and others) that the game should allow for pause (in single player). how it is implemented is up to them. Hell, stick it in options "Allow Pause - Yes/No".

The game is about being able to play your own way, and my own way would include being able to pause when needed.

2 minutes ago, Flatulent Badger said:

I suppose we could just go back and forth on this one, but would it hurt to have one? Even if you could hit escape and have to click a pause option. At least then, you would not be affected as you would need to actively engage the pause function.

As for multi-player, pause would not be needed as you potentially have other people to help you out and look out for you. Im sure SES would be able to implement features for single player separate to MP.

As i say, its an opinion of mine (and others) that the game should allow for pause (in single player). how it is implemented is up to them. Hell, stick it in options "Allow Pause - Yes/No".

The game is about being able to play your own way, and my own way would include being able to pause when needed.

+1

As long as there is an option to disable pausing by the game’s host.