I do miss them too, but on the other hand I don't think it's fit for the Sylva planet. More like the wind planets with fast pace wind. Also I do wish they would add a little combat system or something. That'd be cool

Just my $0.02, do not mean to offend with what I'm about to type; just "talking shop".

It seems to me that there are two types of players ...

1) The 'role player', who wishes to live in the virtual world and experience it as a world to explore, and not just a game.

2) The 'gamer', who wants to build things, and solve puzzles, and wants to remain seated in front of their computer at all times.

For the #1 crowd, storms are vital, its part of the experience, part of the exploration (including 'hunkering down' and waiting for a storm to pass, or hearing one pass from deep underground).  Heck, in many survival movies, being "out in the open" when a storm hits is always a part of the story (by 'storm' it could mean hurricane, acid rain, spawning monsters, etc.).  So storms are important, without them, the player is pulled out of the virtual world, and back to their computer chair.  Also, the lack of storms makes the game more boring to them.

For the #2 crowd, storms are a delaying tactic, slowing them down, making them less efficient, and not being able to "beat" the game as quickly as they could otherwise.  To them, storms are literally pulling them out of their mindset of beating the game efficiently/quickly.  Its an annoying delay, not wanted.

I see no way of consolidating/compromising those two points of view, you either have storms, or you do not.  Normally, I'm big on "win-win" and compromise, but for the #1 crowd, having them on/off switchable is pulling them out of the virtual world (you can't make storms go away in real life by just throwing a switch).

So the developers, the artists who are creating something for us to enjoy, have a decision to make.  What is THEIR vision for what the game should be?  Who are they making the game for?  The #1 crowd, or the #2 crowd, or themselves (and hence, are they #1's or #2's?)?  When that's answered, we'll know if we get storms back or not.

Edited by Cosmic Cleric
Better sentence formation verbage/changes

2 hours ago, Cosmic Cleric said:

Just my $0.02, do not mean to offend with what I'm about to type; just "talking shop".

It seems to me that there are two types of players ...

1) The 'role player', who wishes to live in the virtual world and experience it as a world to explore, and not just a game.

2) The 'gamer', who wants to build things, and solve puzzles, and wants to remain seated in front of their computer at all times.

For the #1 crowd, storms are vital, its part of the experience, part of the exploration (including 'hunkering down' and waiting for a storm to pass, or hearing one pass from deep underground).  Heck, in many survival movies, being "out in the open" when a storm hits is always a part of the story (by 'storm' it could mean hurricane, acid rain, spawning monsters, etc.).  So storms are important, without them, the player is pulled out of the virtual world, and back to their computer chair.  Also, the lack of storms makes the game more boring to them.

For the #2 crowd, storms are a delaying tactic, slowing them down, making them less efficient, and not being able to "beat" the game as quickly as they could otherwise.  To them, storms are literally pulling them out of their mindset of beating the game efficiently/quickly.  Its an annoying delay, not wanted.

I see no way of consolidating/compromising those two points of view, you either have storms, or you do not.  Normally, I'm big on "win-win" and compromise, but for the #1 crowd, having them on/off switchable is pulling them out of the virtual world (you can't make storms go away in real life by just throwing a switch).

So the developers, the artists who are creating something for us to enjoy, have a decision to make.  What is THEIR vision for what the game should be?  Who are they making the game for?  The #1 crowd, or the #2 crowd, or themselves (and hence, are they #1's or #2's?)?  When that's answered, we'll know if we get storms back or not.

I agree with some of your points here, however I disagree that there is no way of compromising. Game modes would certainly take care of this issue and afford compromise. The fact we can't "turn storms off in real life" is irrelevant to a video game.

There could be 2-3 game modes offered for different saves. Have a Casual mode with no storms, a Normal mode with some storms, and a Hard mode with intense storms. Allow the player(s) to choose their own adventure. Ultimately it's up to the devs.

Edited by CheeseHamburger
Spelling, removed extra words.

15 hours ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

Not at all. But I'm thinking storms are ok on the starter planet just not "kill" storms. Fog, rain, acid rain, snow, methane, liquid iron, gas storms (you know @Martin has plenty of those after a nice big plate of bangers and mash!), sleet, heat & of course pennies from heaven. 
We can have weather and storms just not so sure why each and every one has to be a "kill" storm

Oh i completely agree.  On the bangers and mash front.. no seriously, I'd prefer not to have "kill storms" but I could see their viability.. that said, wind storms can kill you as can fog etc.. the speed I drive at in astroneer.. i am often shooting off into very deep holes in the fog on exotic moon.

9 hours ago, Martin said:

i am often shooting off into very deep holes in the fog

😎

I'm glad storms are gone they were just an annoyance. Already have enough problems in the game outside of worrying about when the next storm is going to roll in.

My first game on the new update I think I've died 8-9 times already. I dug up one of the red plants not knowing it would explode. I suffocated a couple times after that because I didn't have any compound close to my starting site to make tethers. Fell to my death building a ramp into a ravine to get to laterite deposits. Died like 3 times trying to retrieve my body cause I ran out of tethers only for my body to fall through the ground once I dug to it. Since then I've suffocated 1-2 times cause I zoned out when digging tunnels or building ramps.

Since I got the soil centrifuge I haven't suffocated because I can make compound on demand. So tethers can be made in bulk and I don't have to worry about that now. And I haven't even left the starting planet yet so I'm sure I'll run into new problems on the other planets.

On 2/12/2019 at 6:56 PM, vvhorus said:

😎

Usually i get in trouble to making those sorts of thoughts.. glad i'm not to blame this time around.

I also loved storms. First time i played and saw big rocks launched at my face i was thrilled. I thought it was awesome. I remember building my main base on the old equivalent of Glacio (don't remember the name of the planet at this time) which had a very hostile environment, and i had to build the main part of my base underground, putting a huge "solar panels and batteries" system outside, to have enough power constantly, and building cables through my roof. That was creative and challenging.

It's so hard to die now, i played around 60 hours i think, in 1.0, and i rememered dying 4 times, 2 because i suffocated going too far, and 2 because i fell from too high. There is absolutely 0 danger in this universe, no planets have hostile environment, none npc are really dangerous. All we can do is travel, gather and build. And I finshed the game, i did this colors hunt, so i wasn't lazy at all. The game is nice, but it could be way more interesting.

I think the best way to make everyone happy would be to release different types of public servers, when dedicated servers come out. From super friendly, like now, to very hostile, with storms, more enemies, less efficient gathering ressource, without some buildings which makes the game too easy, etc. Some different degrees of difficulty that you could custom to your tastes. This way everyone would be happy, i suppose. But yeah, we should be able to add storms if we like them, in a way.

I too was not part of this "everyone hates them". Neither was my co-op player. We enjoyed the threat of storm once in awhile... it added spice, it was also freakin cool when it happened, and was blinding (so pea soup!).

Sad they removed yet another thing because "some tiny few make up 'everyone' out there".

They gotta stop listening to complaints, and before taking FEATURES OUT, put up a poll to find out the real answer.

Sad.

I want storms back.

1 hour ago, Frigidman said:

I too was not part of this "everyone hates them". Neither was my co-op player. We enjoyed the threat of storm once in awhile... it added spice, it was also freakin cool when it happened, and was blinding (so pea soup!).

Sad they removed yet another thing because "some tiny few make up 'everyone' out there".

They gotta stop listening to complaints, and before taking FEATURES OUT, put up a poll to find out the real answer.

Sad.

I want storms back.

They (meaning SES) don't come here. What is posted on this forum falls into the dark vast vacuum of space. If you want the devs to read what you post you have to go to another platform. I complain on this forum all the time but it matters not. SES are not here. Knowing that..............

You need to go to the other platforms and complain to those posters about crying about storms and their subsequent removal. Those posters on those platforms, not us, on this forum, are being heard. We are not heard here. If you want storms back you better go post on media SES staff use. 
Don't be blaming this crowd for the absence of storms. We gots zero juice on this forum!

I liked the storms because they added an element of danger.  My base on Arid (pre-alpha) had a wall around it to prevent myself from getting killed by flying debris.

I'd like to see them brought back for Astroneer 2, but incorporate repair and maintenance into the equation.  Storms should cover solar panels in dust that needs cleaning and it should break wind turbines that weren't shut off.  Rain should flood tunnels, alter terrain and destroy electrical components or resources which aren't protected.

7 hours ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

They (meaning SES) don't come here. What is posted on this forum falls into the dark vast vacuum of space. If you want the devs to read what you post you have to go to another platform. I complain on this forum all the time but it matters not. SES are not here.

Wow, that's surprising, as this is their own forums.  If you don't mind me asking, are you sure?  By 'another platform' are you speaking of Steam?

9 hours ago, Cosmic Cleric said:

Wow, that's surprising, as this is their own forums.  If you don't mind me asking, are you sure?  By 'another platform' are you speaking of Steam?

I think this is the thread you want to read. If you read all the posts you will find out why devs don't come here but rather to the Discord (and other platforms). There is a post that will make everything perfectly clear as to why. After reading a few posts you may come to the realization like I did, which is this forum was literally DEAD before it was even started. 

16 hours ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

I think this is the thread you want to read. If you read all the posts you will find out why devs don't come here but rather to the Discord (and other platforms). There is a post that will make everything perfectly clear as to why. After reading a few posts you may come to the realization like I did, which is this forum was literally DEAD before it was even started. 

Thank you for the thread referral.  I got a couple of pages in, then stopped reading. 

As an old time gamer, I prefer forums, but I have no problem using Discord either.  The only thing, and I think it was referenced in that thread conversation, that the game refers you to these forums for help/feedback, not Discord.  So I would hope that at the very least the devs fix that, if they are still interested in helping customers and obtaining their feedback.  No need to waste a customer's time otherwise.