I think the storms just added more atmosphere (pun intended) to the game.  I would love to see a form of rain or as mentioned maybe meteor strikes. Maybe radiation (hot zones) with the heat ripple visual effect.  I think it's just about making your exploration more interesting then just inventory management.  I guess we shall see what comes.

Not all planets have storms
Not all storms kill
Except for Astroneer

And I keep asking but no one can respond. How do storms bring excitement? A challenge? It's not like they could sneak up on you. To avoid one all anyone has to do is dig a hole. You are born with the terraforming gun so it's not like at any time you just can't dig a hole. 800+ hours played and I've yet to find anything attached to storms other than annoyance. 

Do I think storms could add to the game? Sure. However when every storm kills, when they arrive every 8 - 15 minutes, when they bring no beauty, when they bring no challenge, when we don't ever have to plan for them other than digging a hole, yeah no. Could they be made to be more complex and absolutely add to the game? Sure, they already do in other games. However to produce the same exact storms, with the same exact effects, with the same exact player reaction, it is soooooooooo exactly the same and boring. 

40 minutes ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

Not all storms kill
Except for Astroneer

And I keep asking but no one can respond. How do storms bring excitement? A challenge? It's not like they could sneak up on you. To avoid one all anyone has to do is dig a hole. You are born with the terraforming gun so it's not like at any time you just can't dig a hole. 800+ hours played and I've yet to find anything attached to storms other than annoyance. 

Do I think storms could add to the game? Sure. However when every storm kills, when they arrive every 8 - 15 minutes, when they bring no beauty, when they bring no challenge, when we don't ever have to plan for them other than digging a hole, yeah no. Could they be made to be more complex and absolutely add to the game? Sure, they already do in other games. However to produce the same exact storms, with the same exact effects, with the same exact player reaction, it is soooooooooo exactly the same and boring. 

So what I’m hearing is that storms should be more cosmetic then harmful

*pictures driving through fog then suddenly out of nowhere sees a big purple looking ominous as heck

i agree

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.  I liked avoiding the UPS boxes. I like hearing the whirling of a storm on the surface when I was deep in a cave. I liked building an underground base so I could work through storms. It just added a layer of immersion for me. See i don't say this has to apply to everyone. As you go from planet to planet you shouldn't just have sunny days and clear nights. Space and planets aren't like that and even here that seems incredible narrow focused. Landing on a planet and finding it's weather hostile increases the challenge and satisfaction when I arrive, get what I need and get out of there fast.

Everyone plays games for different reasons and if you love to do the whole Minecraft thing then do it but some of us like the entire experience.

30 minutes ago, johnd212 said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.  I liked avoiding the UPS boxes. I like hearing the whirling of a storm on the surface when I was deep in a cave. I liked building an underground base so I could work through storms. It just added a layer of immersion for me. See i don't say this has to apply to everyone. As you go from planet to planet you shouldn't just have sunny days and clear nights. Space and planets aren't like that and even here that seems incredible narrow focused. Landing on a planet and finding it's weather hostile increases the challenge and satisfaction when I arrive, get what I need and get out of there fast.

Everyone plays games for different reasons and if you love to do the whole Minecraft thing then do it but some of us like the entire experience.

With all sincerity, I'd rather have my base in the open under sunny days and clear skies than gray walls or dark caves, now more than ever with Terrain 2.0. Caves, crevices and hostile flora offer plenty of challenge now. Storms as they were in early release were not challenging at all, just obnoxious and irritating. Even more so was having storms affect player movement inside caves. They need a rework, so at least for the time being, I'm glad they're gone...

I agree with the “most people didn’t like storms” opinion because that’s what was expressed here on the forums by and large. There were many aspects of storms that lead to this opinion, it wasn’t just wanting to avoid some difficulty in the game or some nonsense such as this. I don’t mind adversity in games, I grew up with games far more challenging than most we have available today, games that certainly didn’t hold your hand, and with no internet yet available there were no YouTube vids, streams, or online guides to walk you through games either. No, I’m not saying I’m entitled to a cookie for that lol. Just saying it wasn’t that storms proved to be too difficult or something that caused so much “hate” (although I think that’s a bit too strong of a word, most just didn’t like them and wanted options to turn them off or adjust their frequency, but in the short term it was easier I’m sure for SES just to remove them).

The problem with storms (and we’re only talking about the dust storm, the only thing that existed in the game) are s follows (and again, this is my opinion but many shared a similar view):

(1) the frequency could be annoying, making it difficult to do things

(2) you were left with basically no choices during one (hide in base, vehicle, cave, or impromptu dig out, build dirt around you, etc) or else you died (unless you were in the edge of a storm devoid of the UPS boxes of death)

(3) while you hid, unless you were in a cave, you sat on your butt and couldn’t do anything; granted some took a break from the game but that’s less than ideal, most value their time gaming and want to make the most of it (aka it was a bit disrespectful of the player’s time)

(4) it was an unbalanced mechanic from the start. In most games, ok idk about “most” but you’d like to see something like this have pros and cons. So if you had to hide, and it blew stuff away, why not have it blow some new cool things in as well? Or provide some other positive effects? Even if things were somewhat random, having some potential for something novel to happen is better than just sitting and hiding. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

The bottom line as I see it, people tend to confuse the issue of what players really want to see in the game. Imo I think players want to see cool weather “systems” developed, and it sounds like SES is going to take more time to develop that (and hopefully test it properly as well) rather than just drop in a storm or two. While I generally love snow/snow effects (don’t see it where I live in Texas) I really hope they won’t incorporate direct copy paste weather effects like we have on Earth because frankly that’s pretty boring. I know they have the imagination and creative ability to come up with far better than that!  After all, we have dust storms on Earth, and really wasn’t that imaginative. I will say I have a ton of respect for the Devs (regarding the work they did on dust storms) so major props for that. I hope they can still use the models and such for future weather, shame to let all that work go to waste. I do think some ideas like comets, meteorites and such are cool ideas, but again I hope we’ll see them put their own Astroneer “flavor” on it, and these systems will have checks and balances, possibly complex interactions and cycles like our own weather maybe even seasonal or other variations. Anyway just some quick thoughts :) 

P.S. if it’s not obvious, yeah I’m glad they’re gone, they didn’t add to the game and needed to be pulled. I think SES made the right call,  behind them all the way on this 100%

Edited by Shadow Echo

On 2/7/2019 at 12:07 PM, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

If you mean the "vast majority" when you say 'whining people' you are correct. If however you think a storm lover like yourself is in the majority you are sadly mistaken. 

I disagree with you. I liked the storms. I hope they come back. I'd be happy with a difficulty setting to turn storms on or off

13 hours ago, KingMonkey said:

I disagree with you. I liked the storms. I hope they come back. I'd be happy with a difficulty setting to turn storms on or off

While I accept and understand the sun loving players, I hope they all get skin cancer from ultraviolet radiation! 😛

Rain is an important ingredient for life. Wind is also normal. And storms are natural phenomenons which feel real. A game has a great immersion when it succeed making the player feel in a real environment.

Those who cannot (or pretend they cannot) understand why I want storms, they should at least try to work toward a compromise instead of punishing the other players who have something they enjoy. An option to customize the experience would be better, not only the storms but other parameters too. We are all together in the same game!

And lest us not forget that storms only happened during the day. The most beautiful part of the game. 

And lest us not forget that from day one I was the one that consistently posted that weather should be a customizable player option. 

I am happy storms are not present in this current build, I can only say for Xbox players as that’s what I play but the crappy system isn’t good enough to cope, I’m glad they have taken this into consideration. Again I can only speak for myself but I much preferre the lag free environment over battling the elements and lag to get to safety to only get inches away and taken out by a box 😂

would be happy to see them return as it adds a nice dynamic to the game but stability has got to be the priority and tbh I can just deal with it

18 hours ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

Not all storms kill
Except for Astroneer

Agree with you mostly, not fussed about the storms and tbh they just lag the game out when playing with my mate. 

Bring them back back when the game can handle it 👍🏻

47 minutes ago, Kev Cunning said:

I am happy storms are not present in this current build, I can only say for Xbox players as that’s what I play but the crappy system isn’t good enough to cope, I’m glad they have taken this into consideration. Again I can only speak for myself but I much preferre the lag free environment over battling the elements and lag to get to safety to only get inches away and taken out by a box 😂

would be happy to see them return as it adds a nice dynamic to the game but stability has got to be the priority and tbh I can just deal with it

Thanks you Kev for the part "would be happy to see them return". I also do not want to ruin your game experience either.

So it is the developers who have to give us what we both want!

Have a nice weekend and lets's hope for a better future now. This release was not the one developers dreamed about for sure.

Yes customisable setting would be nice weather it’s features an individual wants or for me personally mouse and keyboard support. Choice is always good let’s hope they can deliver 

All they have to do is turn the ups death boxes off and just leave the slow walking and low visibility. The new pit like holes should make driving in that a no no. Just allow us to still do stuff.

Please leave the storms off of Sylva and the other "easy" planets (according to the astropedia).   The "hard" and "very hard' planets can have them I suppose, though I still don't like them.  ;)

5 hours ago, probro said:

Please leave the storms off of Sylva and the other "easy" planets (according to the astropedia).   The "hard" and "very hard' planets can have them I suppose, though I still don't like them.  ;)

My thoughts go in a similar direction: keep them off on the starter planet and make them optional on the other planets.

And if they are optional, would players be able to toggle them on/off at will or make a choice at first landing on a planet and then have to live with their choice whenever they are on that planet?

4 hours ago, Eoghan said:

My thoughts go in a similar direction: keep them off on the starter planet and make them optional on the other planets.

And if they are optional, would players be able to toggle them on/off at will or make a choice at first landing on a planet and then have to live with their choice whenever they are on that planet?

If you agree to an optional configuration, why not on the starter planet too? Let those who want storms to enjoy them from the beginning.

9 hours ago, Menzagitat said:

If you agree to an optional configuration, why not on the starter planet too? Let those who want storms to enjoy them from the beginning.

Why insisting there should be storms, optional or not, on all planets? Would it be such a terrible thing for the starter/training planet not to have them?

Piece of unsolicited advice: one of the best ways to get something you want is to be willing to make compromises. An "I want it all" approach seldom works and you risk ending up with nothing.

Storms needed to be reworked.  The standard boxes in  ur face is fine for an ea, but it was just tedious after awhile.  And yeh, you can just ignore them by going underground or even in most cases just standing behind something to block the ups boxes.

Ideally we need storms that can kill you outright, slow you down a little sometimes or just act as a visual impairment.  The weather ideas ses are working on sounds like the right route.  Maybe with something harsher tossed in randomly.

But to demand that everyone pays the price of a few who liked having the storms is just as ignorant a demand as from all those who objected to them. 

Although I do agree that a switch in menu could be a nice direction to go in as well.   in my general opinion, weather and storms, even seasons in games, should be a must for games in this day n age.  Esp in these genres.

Edited by Martin

On 2/9/2019 at 9:34 AM, Menzagitat said:

I hope they all get skin cancer from ultraviolet radiation! 😛

Whilst I understand that this is likely ment as a sarcastic joke, it isn't as funny as you might think.  Nor something you should with thought, be suggesting, even as a joke.  And yes, I could just report the post and complain, but I feel a softer approach is preferred.  Skin Cancer is no laughing matter.

13 hours ago, Eoghan said:

Why insisting there should be storms, optional or not, on all planets? Would it be such a terrible thing for the starter/training planet not to have them?

Not at all. But I'm thinking storms are ok on the starter planet just not "kill" storms. Fog, rain, acid rain, snow, methane, liquid iron, gas storms (you know @Martin has plenty of those after a nice big plate of bangers and mash!), sleet, heat & of course pennies from heaven. 
We can have weather and storms just not so sure why each and every one has to be a "kill" storm

1 hour ago, Martin said:

Whilst I understand that this is likely ment as a sarcastic joke, it isn't as funny as you might think.  Nor something you should with thought, be suggesting, even as a joke.  And yes, I could just report the post and complain, but I feel a softer approach is preferred.  Skin Cancer is no laughing matter.

I apologize. Not because I am afraid of report but because I realize it might have an impact on readers I have not considered.

Sorry. Sometime it happens that I say things and I would change the words, but once said I cannot take them back.

1 hour ago, Martin said:

But to demand that everyone pays the price of a few who liked having the storms is just as ignorant a demand as from all those who objected to them.

Customization would be better. I often take other games as example. In this game I think to Minecraft, which allows different levels of difficulty and even switch between them without starting a new world. You have there cheat commands too if you enable them.

Anyway, I wanted this game to have a more successful release. I tried to play it as it is. I had no game-breaking bugs. Those big cylindrical wrecks were being pushed out from the ground while I was removing the dirt inside and the vehicles do not work and I have to exit and enter several times. 

When I reached the new moon of the exotic planet, I realized that during my careful planning I forgot to take one piece of aluminum. So I went back to the starting planet and all I have to do is to continue playing. But somehow I am not pulled back into the game. Just exploring to find what developers changed or to activate those big structures is not interesting enough for me.

So I will stop playing and I might return later when new content is added, to help testing or just to play.

I have personally no reason anymore to keep asking for storms. It would be a small improvement for me but not enough to keep me playing more than a few days.

Developers noticed for sure this thread and the other reasons why people complain too. It is their turn now to improve the situation. For now I lost a bit of confidence in them.

Have fun everybody!

I created this thread because I missed the storms. I liked the sound, the way I dashed into my ship, a cave or a hole. I also liked how if I ignored it sometimes I'd die from those damn UPS boxes. What I didn't like was the original explanation as "no one liked them".  This isn't an MMO where we all have to agree to things because we're all in one virtual world. We're not. SO I hoped to just express to the Dev team that there were a lot of us out here who weren't asked if we liked storms. I like creating things and surviving but I also like the sense of being immersed in something. FOR ME...storms helped that.  I"m no game designer but giving us the freedom to decide on storms Yes or No, Severity (on a scale), Storms on Starter Planet Yes/ No ...doesn't seem to difficult. I would also support giving us various types of storms...some just visual..some actually dangerous.

I think we're all looking for what makes us happy in this game. Right now, FOR ME,  it just feels dull with just night and day cycles. I like storms, I'd like different storms and I'd even like the sense of danger with more severe storms.  Again...that's me....but I like choice.