Martin

Is this a joke?

On 2/6/2019 at 12:57 PM, Martin said:

Talk about a mess..

First time upto the purple thing.. Crash to desktop..lost like 3-4 hours of play due to not saving.

Get to purple thing dig out 3 sockets, connect something to socket, platform rises.. figure maybe i need to stand on platform..

Oh no.. don't do that.

Stands on platform, connects to socket, boom, inside the platform, stuck.  Can't escape, on oxygen because of tether, can't die.

Completely screwed.

Can't quit game without saving.. Like seriously?

Had to Alt Tab, and exit manually, to stop save being overwritten.

You guys have had plenty of time.. and you gave games away to morons on youtube and they didn't spot this shit.. and now you have a buggy mess to deal with.

Seriously.. add a quit "without" saving option..

In fact if you're gonna keep adding bugs like this that ruin longterm not saving gameplay.. add an autosave.

i feel your pain, at this point i pretty much have a tractor/buggy near me to save as often as i can because of the crash to desktop, or as i call it "my ghetto fix"

Edited by neo.cybermario

I feel like it was an extremely poor decision for the devs to have added so many new features without first pushing them to EA to be tested. This release is a buggy mess. If they did it so that even EA players would have no things to discover and to not spoil them, that's a bad idea; if you buy into EA, you automatically resign the right of having no spoilers for the game in question when it releases.

I love Astroneer to bits, but this release version is nearly unplayable as it stands...

On 2/7/2019 at 9:22 AM, Rebelord said:

This all should be in Bugs and issues 

I get the game is not exactly bug free but what do you expect when they completely redo Terrain generation and add in several massive objects that have lots of potential for bugs. And putting this is General discussion is doing nothing but insulting system era and the game itself, especially when you call 1.0 a joke.

I expect a RELEASED game to be bug free. Remember, pre-release was only ALPHA. This game never went through any public BETA phase. All of these new things (Terrain 2.0, storyline surprises, new vehicles and base objects) were never tested by the public before the game was released. -- even after a six week delay. The devs made a gamble and it has backfired.

2 hours ago, KEVIN H said:

Hell the game freezes in the Loading Solar System animation.  Id call that a problem

Well put.

Many of the current issues are legacy bugs that SES had the opportunity to address more than 5 months ago when they made the decision not to release any more updates for early access to concentrate on 1.0. Multiplayer stability, clippings, sinking items, players launched into the air: these are not new bugs, they've been in the game for a long time. It seems like all hands on deck were focused on making the game look good, but no one worked on stability, performance, or bugs.

We're not in early access anymore. No one can use that as an excuse any longer...

On 2/6/2019 at 1:15 PM, Rebelord said:

Okay listen here dude. I get your pissed about a bug but thats no reason to insult the devs shit like this happens okay, and considering the fact that they just added this as a fun 1.0 surprise with out any previous testing meaning there is going to be bugs, deal with it. And auto save can be a bit of a issue but you can just sit in a chair or anything like that to save. The reason behind no quit without saving is so if some one screws up they have to deal with it.  

AND FINALLY THERE ARE BUGS IN ALL GAMES SO YOU NEED TO PUT ON YOUR BIG BOY PANTS AND DEAL WITH IT ALSO IF YOUR SO AGAINST BUGS

WHY THE FUCK DID YOU BUY PRE-ALPHA

This forum needs a downvote button.

Same thing happened to me. Alt-tab, kill process. An option to save without quitting could be a suicide mechanic that lets you respawn.

Also lost my last hour to crash when entering rocket. Ouch!

I think it's hilarious that people actually think we'd all just exploit it to save loosing stuff in a death.. like get a grip.  Are you really going to run around for an hour.. fall in a hole and die, then exit without saving to loose an hours gameplay.. rather than run out to your corpse, pick up your stuff and carry on?

You can already alt tab and exit manually or even, if you only have astroneer running just hit Alt F4 and quit without saving.  So why not have a process in the menu to do it safely? To have the software quit safely without possible corruptions?  From what I can see of the possible objections.. there aren't any.  Just accusations that anyone who did this is a cheater.. not someone who's gotten stuck in the game and is unable to get unstuck.

On 2/8/2019 at 9:36 AM, Wyvyrias said:

Of course, I am not saying you should be happy with what you got. Definitely not. But do please communicate your anger and/or disappointment within reason.

If anything this should be under suggestions.. I wasn't reporting the crashes as bugs.  Although I have now made seperate bug reports for the crashes and getting stuck.

TBH, why isn't there an autosave feature to create a temp save every 5 minutes, or so? They could delete it when you save via menu (or entering a vehicle or habitat).

At the state the game currently is in, I'm actually happy it doesn't autosave. Wouldn't be fun of it autosaved while you where clipping through the terrain and bouncing around.

Edited by romabysen

On 2/7/2019 at 11:22 PM, Rebelord said:

This all should be in Bugs and issues 

I get the game is not exactly bug free but what do you expect when they completely redo Terrain generation and add in several massive objects that have lots of potential for bugs. And putting this is General discussion is doing nothing but insulting system era and the game itself, especially when you call 1.0 a joke.

I'm expecting these major things not to be put into a full release on a very short time frame without adequate testing. When you're a small team with a game on EA, your EA users is an integral part of your QA process, even more so when you're putting a lot of big features in at a very quick pace. I understand the reasoning behind wanting to keep some of these things under wraps but in hindsight I think it was a misstep to release the full game at this time, in this state.

I got this gifted to me in EA so I don't mind waiting for things to get fixed. Had I bought it as a released game at full price though? Yeah, I'd be disappointed.

Fortunately it's not a disaster yet. The situation can be salvaged if ll the major issues (terrain clip, broken gates, launching into space, the terrain tool on steam etc) are addressed quickly.

Ignoring the nasty tone of this thread for a moment, autosaves have been requested now and then for a LONG time. PLEASE add autosaves! like every 10 mins - unless you are 110% sure that the game is COMPLETELY STABLE!. Even microsoft, who is a MULTI BILLION dollar company, in microsoft word which has been around for DECADES has autosaves. Why? Even the best software crashes sometimes. Losing work annoys people. Add autosaves please.

As a side note, Yes people are going to be annoyed that the full release of the game isn't as polished as a full release should be. I for one notice a lot of stutter in the digging tool as I dig, framerate is lower than the alpha, the hotkey for "start machine" like printers and research is gone (Why?) and I can no longer have terrain tool and use on the same key. It honestly feels like the latest pre-release was more polished than the finished product. I really hope they fix things up quickly.

On 2/11/2019 at 11:10 PM, romabysen said:

I'm expecting these major things not to be put into a full release on a very short time frame without adequate testing. When you're a small team with a game on EA, your EA users is an integral part of your QA process, even more so when you're putting a lot of big features in at a very quick pace. I understand the reasoning behind wanting to keep some of these things under wraps but in hindsight I think it was a misstep to release the full game at this time, in this state.

This...

I started playing Atsroneer with version 0.10.2.0. After a few days I discovered all gamebreaking bugs and posted them here. No problem, it was an alpha and EA. Version 0.10.5.0 came with no bugfixes but this Terrain 2.0 test. Again no problen, they want to test out the new feature before combining it with the core game. So I supposed we'll get a version 0.10.x.0 with that. But then they announced the Release and I was very angry. All these bugs, Terrain 2.0 and new features with new bugs this must become desastrous. They gonna skip the beta! Really? No, they didn't. Technically Release V1.0 is a beta. So, why they call it Release? It's so easy, they raised the game price before launch at steam. It's now an fullprice game at beta status.

To answers the question:

No, it's no joke, it's business. Maybe the business is too hard for an indie team like SES. And even the concept of EA can't prevent such devs from doing things with their community like SES did with us. They are not the first ones and they will not be the last. For me the concept of EA has failed a few games before Astroneer. But, hope dies last, we say in germany. But it dies. So, no more EA. Such a shame.

On 2/11/2019 at 8:46 PM, romabysen said:

At the state the game currently is in, I'm actually happy it doesn't autosave. Wouldn't be fun of it autosaved while you where clipping through the terrain and bouncing around.

That is why I specified temporary autosave. It would not overwrite any prior "manual save".

1 hour ago, JimBearUSA said:

That is why I specified temporary autosave. It would not overwrite any prior "manual save".

Ah yes, that would work. A dedicated autosave slot per game as well s the manual save.

9 hours ago, Mytos said:

No, they didn't. Technically Release V1.0 is a beta. So, why they call it Release? It's so easy, they raised the game price before launch at steam. It's now an fullprice game at beta status.

To answers the question:

No, it's no joke, it's business. Maybe the business is too hard for an indie team like SES. And even the concept of EA can't prevent such devs from doing things with their community like SES did with us. They are not the first ones and they will not be the last. For me the concept of EA has failed a few games before Astroneer. But, hope dies last, we say in germany. But it dies. So, no more EA. Such a shame.

This is not "business", SES has be working on a game for years and they saw fit for it to be released (whether or not they are right is a different matter). They wanted to keep Terrain 2.0 a surprise and because of that they didn't get to run the new update through a variety of system specs. On my computer the game runs well, only minor issues that can be resolved. You are right in saying 1.0 is a ea, but by releasing it as a 1.0 they can show that they are happy with the path the game is on, no more big changes. They are still working on making the game better and are hammering out the new bugs found. I have seen this before, a game releases more and more features while not really focusing on the bugs because the bugs will be replaced when they decide the features need a change. By having 1.0 they are going to stop features and focus more on bugs because the way the game works will be the same and the bugs need to be addressed. There will be a faze for the next few updates just on optimizing the bugs and gameplay. You just need to let the people work on there game, they have put a lot of work into this game and the community has always been helpful and supportive, if 1.0 means you won't accept any bugs then pretend that this is still ea.

10 hours ago, Cue 7 said:

You are right in saying 1.0 is a ea, but by releasing it as a 1.0 they can show that they are happy with the path the game is on, no more big changes.

No, I said that release 1.0 is technically a beta.

And no, they can''t be happy with a version full of minor and major bugs that were reported long time ago.

No big changes? Read that: Astroneer Development Roadmap

Yes this is there plan for the next few years as of now. Of the 14 only 4 are core/big game changing updates (how the game loads and generates), the others are just quality of life updates to make the game feel more user friendly

On 2/14/2019 at 11:39 AM, Cue 7 said:

You are right in saying 1.0 is a ea, but by releasing it as a 1.0 they can show that they are happy with the path the game is on, no more big changes.

This is commonly called a "release candidate" and it's not something you sell as a released product for full price to consumers.

Edited by romabysen

15 hours ago, Cue 7 said:

Yes this is there plan for the next few years as of now. Of the 14 only 4 are core/big game changing updates (how the game loads and generates), the others are just quality of life updates to make the game feel more user friendly

Oh, user friendly, here are some suggestions:

• game starting w/o errors/crashes
  • game not corrupting savegames
  • more than one savegame / autosave / quit w/o saving
  • all keys and mouse buttons bindable
  • no fps drops
  • no glitches
  • moving vehicles
  • don't be catapulted in the air
  • objects not falling through the ground
  • terrain tool working as intended
  • and so on

Don't get me wrong, I love this game. One complete walkthrough and 460h of play time should reveal that. But it necessarilly doesn't mean to be satisfied with the release of the game and the game state at all:

On 2/8/2019 at 7:51 PM, vvhorus said:

Many of the current issues are legacy bugs that SES had the opportunity to address more than 5 months ago when they made the decision not to release any more updates for early access to concentrate on 1.0. Multiplayer stability, clippings, sinking items, players launched into the air: these are not new bugs, they've been in the game for a long time. It seems like all hands on deck were focused on making the game look good, but no one worked on stability, performance, or bugs.

We're not in early access anymore. No one can use that as an excuse any longer...

or

9 hours ago, romabysen said:

This is commonly called a "release candidate" and it's not something you sell as a released product for full price to consumers.

and many more...

10 hours ago, Mytos said:

Don't get me wrong, I love this game. One complete walkthrough and 460h of play time should reveal that. But it necessarilly doesn't mean to be satisfied with the release of the game and the game state at all

You have every right to be unhappy my point is not to just hate on the game.

Also

19 hours ago, romabysen said:

Full price? the game is only $24 and the ea was $20. I would not call it a full price game.

6 hours ago, Cue 7 said:

You have every right to be unhappy my point is not to just hate on the game.

Also

Full price? the game is only $24 and the ea was $20. I would not call it a full price game.

Is it on sale? No? Then the regular price is the full price for the product.