Eoghan

Research Aid

Found this 30 minutes into a new 1.0 game. Haven't tried to unlock yet.

P.S.: Good work SES. I hadn't played or come here for almost a year and so far I am very happy with the new release.

research.jpg

There different types i think there three but i have only seen two

One has a internal battery that needs to be filled up and the one your looking at requires a certain resource which is shown by the image on it. 

The one your staring at needs laterite 

I found one with the battery in my opinion it wasn't worth the hassle to open it. I only got like 300 something research points from it. When pretty much every research item I've found so far gives a flat 360 points. Thought maybe it would be a good item or 1,000+ research points since it was a locked item. 

I kinda like them since it usually a lot faster and the power requiring ones can be filled up with a simple gen making them a faster way to get bytes with out going through the research station 

6 hours ago, Rebelord said:

One has a internal battery that needs to be filled up and the one your looking at requires a certain resource which is shown by the image on it. 

The one your staring at needs laterite 

Thx! We didn't have those resource symbols last time I played about a year ago. So early in the game, it didn't occur to me to link the symbol over the socket and a specific resource.

You found it easy to open? I found one early on, but sticking a small generator on it did nothing. I tried chaining a small wind and solar, but nothing.

I nudged it to my base with a tractor (real pita) and plugged it into the source, nothing. Damn thing won't open. If they really only give 300 bytes I'm not even going to bother anymore.

19 hours ago, Haze33E said:

I found one with the battery in my opinion it wasn't worth the hassle to open it. I only got like 300 something research points from it. When pretty much every research item I've found so far gives a flat 360 points. Thought maybe it would be a good item or 1,000+ research points since it was a locked item. 

Try researching them instead of "scanning" them.

Well I for one don't understand these at all. In their current form anyway.

This just makes no sense to me.

EXO Dynamics place research points into research aid boxes, transport research aid boxes  to planets that EXO is sending me to, to have me playing as my Astroneer have to gather yet a different resource to unlock the research points that were at one time on earth where I was originally!? Why the heck don't I just have the research points on earth before I leave? 

Again, no I don't like this. It is just busy work that now I have unlocked one, just one, I will never use them again.

What should be inside them?

Items that I can't craft, that can only be acquired via research aid boxes 

Examples:
Shoes that allow for more fall damage
Helmet with built in lighting so I don't have to waste valuable back pack slot for
Portable oxygenator
ETC. 

Edited by The Touch of Grey Gamer

Okay, so I found one of these in a cave. Ran extenders from solar panel down to it, and it barely lights up the indicator? Do I need to wait and use a solar array or what? Any ideas?

20190207083344_1.jpg

20190207082943_1.jpg

The one in the video is "refill internal power supply" aka charge battery. The one I've found is "maintain desired power input to unlock". I'm just wondering what is the desired input since a solar panel didn't unlock it. Medium generator? Solar array? I guess I'll push it back to my base with my tractor and try it that way.

29 minutes ago, CoffeeAddict said:

Okay, so I found one of these in a cave. Ran extenders from solar panel down to it, and it barely lights up the indicator? Do I need to wait and use a solar array or what? Any ideas?

20190207083344_1.jpg

20190207082943_1.jpg

That’s the third type you need to have a high enough power level kind of like have more power for your research station so it goes faster

I used two small solar panels, a small generator and a small battery pack(one use) placed on a platform A ,that I moved beside box. I placed 2 panels...nothing..started generator...nothing..placed battery...boom top popped off. Believe it was the strength of the power current is what is needed. Also I took the small reserch item and placed in research station instead. It was worth 1026 pts.

Edited by Middelaged75

On 2/7/2019 at 9:12 AM, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

Well I for one don't understand these at all. In their current form anyway.

This just makes no sense to me.

EXO Dynamics place research points into research aid boxes, transport research aid boxes  to planets that EXO is sending me to, to have me playing as my Astroneer have to gather yet a different resource to unlock the research points that were at one time on earth where I was originally!? Why the heck don't I just have the research points on earth before I leave? 

Again, no I don't like this. It is just busy work that now I have unlocked one, just one, I will never use them again.

What should be inside them?

Items that I can't craft, that can only be acquired via research aid boxes 

Examples:
Shoes that allow for more fall damage
Helmet with built in lighting so I don't have to waste valuable back pack slot for
Portable oxygenator
ETC. 

Totally agree. I'm ignoring those altogether. Not worth the hassle. Why lock them when other kinds of research are so much plentiful and easily accessible? On Novus, those lockers contain the round tech research pods, but they're worth only 2500 bytes, and they take more than half an hour to research.

Astronium, on the other hand, is 1,000 bytes every 2 and a half minutes per bunch. Unlocked the RTG in a couple of trips to the core...

44 minutes ago, Middelaged75 said:

I used two small solar panels, a small generator and a small battery pack(one use) placed on a platform A ,that I moved beside box. I placed 2 panels...nothing..started generator...nothing..placed battery...boom top popped off. Believe it was the strength of the power current is what is needed. Also I took the small reserch item and placed in research station instead. It was worth 1026 pts.

These can easily be powered by three small generators 

25 minutes ago, vvhorus said:

Totally agree. I'm ignoring those altogether. Not worth the hassle. Why lock them when other kinds of research are so much plentiful and easily accessible? On Novus, those lockers contain the round tech research pods, but they're worth only 2500 bytes, and they take more than half an hour to research.

Astronium, on the other hand, is 1,000 bytes every 2 and a half minutes per bunch. Unlocked the RTG in a couple of trips to the core...

Its more of a beginning game item as at first bytes aren’t exactly easy to find, until you get deep into the planet 

On 2/7/2019 at 9:08 AM, MMZ>Torak said:

Try researching them instead of "scanning" them.

On 2/8/2019 at 9:08 AM, Middelaged75 said:

Also I took the small reserch item and placed in research station instead. It was worth 1026 pts.

Wish I had known they were research-able from the beginning. I didn't notice the research part on the text I just saw it gave me the hotkey to scan them so I did. Don't know why they even made them scannable to begin with. I've lost out on probably 2,500-ish research points. So much progress lost at least the organic research items seem to be around in abundance.