Arconaute

latest 1.0 release crashes ( with no windows error) after displaying System ERA and UE logo

Hello,

I can not get Astroneer to run/start past the System Era and UE logos.  Program crashes with no errors in windows or steam.  I am not having issues with any other games (Destiny 2, Apex Legends, Overwatch, Diablo 3 etc).  So not sure where to go next with this as far as isolating the issue.

Things I have tried:

• Reboot PC
  • Update nvidia drivers to latest version (418.81) as of 2/6/2019
  • Verify integrity of files via steam.  (no issues found)
  • Reboot Modem and router and PC simultaneously
  • Uninstall, delete Astroneer directory and redownload Astroneer
  • Could not find any errors in windows event log viewer

System information:

• Windows 10 Professional Version 10.0.17134 Build 17134

• Asus ROG strix Z370-E gaming mainboard

• Intel 7 8700 3.2Ghz CPU

• 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 (Dual Channel)

• Samsung Evo  970 500GB SSD M.2 Hard drive

• Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 1TB Hard drive

• EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC GPU

• EVGA NEX 750 Watt SuperNova Gold Rated

• Dell S2716DG GSYNK 2k 144Hz monitor

SystemInformation.txt

DMPfiles.zip DxDiag.txt

Looking at the primary differences between what you're running and I'm running....

OS. Your Windows 10 build is a major version behind. Try patching it to latest production release.

GPU. I don't have an Intel GPU in my rig, whereas you do. Do you have anything plugged into yours? Hopefully you've only connected displays to the nvidia GPU.

Display. Have you tried toggling G-SYNC on and off? Does Windowed mode work?

Power. This game tends to load many cores at once. Are you stable under full power load (furmark or similar)?

I'm also not able to see the attachments you uploaded for some reason.

8 hours ago, Arcturus said:

Things I have tried:

• Uninstall, delete Astroneer directory and redownload Astroneer

Did you delete "c:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Astro" as well?

Not sure how I could be behind with windows updates, I just ran it again and no major updates are showing up.  Windows update shows at 1803 though, and wikipedia windows 10 version history shows the latest at 1809.   So I will have to figure out why windows update is not prompting me for 1809.   

(Update: I was on the windows update branch for business.  I am now upgrading to 1809)   

As far as any additional troubleshooting, it is all "shooting in the dark" as no user readable errors or logs have been generated ( I am also not getting any error after the crash).   Is there any way someone could please read those debug files?

Edited by Arcturus

Ok so updated to 1809,  Astroneer ran for about 3 min  before crashing, so thats an improvement.     So looks like Astroneer may not be compatible with win 10 build 1803.     

Going to uninstall Astro and Remove c:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Astro (Mytos's suggestion) and reinstall. 

Hoping that reinstalling on  1809 will fix issue.  Added new dump files in case anyone needs them.

f5b4eee9-7038-4441-a238-8f231b797a75.dmp

f5b4eee9-7038-4441-a238-8f231b797a75.dmp.containerneer

Edited by Arcturus

Issue is now fixed ( as far as getting to the main menu, will do more testing ;) )

Summary of troubleshooting steps for others having this issue:

• Update to Windows 10 Build 1809 ( in my case I was on the business branch of windows updates and that was preventing me from seeing the 1809 update)
  • Run windows update again!  (  there are .net updates for build 1809 that dont install when upgrading to 1809, thx microsoft!)
  • Uninstall Astroneer via Steam
  • Remove the c:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Astro directory
  • Reboot PC
  • Redownload and install Astroneer via Steam

So I am guessing there is some kind of issue with build 1803 and .net that are causing some kind of issue with the version of .net that Astroneer is built with.  This makes sense as none of the other games I was running had issues.   I still think something is wrong code wise, I mean it really at the very least should give an error message or exception.

i have the same problems. win10 is up2date. i will try to find updates manually.

i will reinstall astroneer also.

have this with other games too (jurassic world evolutions) but most of the other games are running (pubg, roe, apex legends etc)

i use the actual geforce driver with a 2080 ti

I too am having issues with the system lockup while "loading solar system". I have restarted my PC, updated windows (No updates after multiple checks) , deleted "Astro" file, uninstalled and reinstalled Astroneer, still having the system lockup. Does anyone have any other suggestions? 

1 hour ago, KingPhantom said:

i have the same problems. win10 is up2date. i will try to find updates manually.

i will reinstall astroneer also.

have this with other games too (jurassic world evolutions) but most of the other games are running (pubg, roe, apex legends etc)

i use the actual geforce driver with a 2080 ti

i updated everything and reinstalled astroneer incl. deleting appdata folder.... i just can see the systemera logo and then it crashes to desktop :(

here is my dxdiag.txt

Edited by KingPhantom

17 minutes ago, KingPhantom said:

i updated everything and reinstalled astroneer incl. deleting appdata folder.... i just can see the systemera logo and then it crashes to desktop :(

here is my dxdiag.txt

it worked with compatibility mode "vista sp2" on astro.exe

found out: i have dual screen and on the second screen was youtube running. everytime a video change or an ad appears it crashes astroner on the other screen (in compatibility mode)....

very strange... it has something to do with youtube in firefox. i tested it with one screen but there are the same problems.

Saaame thing i think.
Game starts up, loads forever, says its loading solar systems and then the whole computer locks up. I'll admit i have a bit of a toaster but i was able to run teh game with no sweat before the update.

KingPhantom please open a new thread, your issue is not exactly the same as mine.   

Also Game is not fixed anymore, crashing issue is back.   I made zero changes to my system and now Astroneer crashes just before the solar system loading part.   I am pretty frustrated with Astroneer at this point.   I have zero issues with other games, so I can not understand what the issue could possibly be.  Repair via steam does not help.  I know the devs are busy but I would appreciate it if they would work with me on this.  I have not had any crashes with any of the other previous versions of the game.   Here are my updated files since updating to win 10 build 1809.

DxDiag1809.txt

SystemInformation1809.txt

dc9ae67a-ebd1-49c0-9fbf-767b872f808f.dmp.container

dc9ae67a-ebd1-49c0-9fbf-767b872f808f.dmp

I have figured out a workaround for the game crashing at startup.   

if you go to the steamapps/astroneer directory  

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\ASTRONEER Early Access\Astro\Content\Movies

remove the following files:   legal*.mp4      loading*.mp4  seslogo*.mp4.   Now run the game and it does not crash!!   

This proves that this bug is somehow related to the .mp4 files playing.

We also have confirmation from a Windows Store user that removing the videos solved a freeze at/after the logo screens. 

Edited by Blind Io

7 hours ago, Blind Io said:

We also have confirmation from a Windows Store user that removing the videos solved a freeze at/after the logo screens. 

thx for the update

@Blind Io can you provide a link to the post by the windows store user?   Google cant seem to find and looking on MS store produced no results either.

11 hours ago, Arcturus said:

KingPhantom please open a new thread, your issue is not exactly the same as mine.   

Also Game is not fixed anymore, crashing issue is back.   I made zero changes to my system and now Astroneer crashes just before the solar system loading part.   I am pretty frustrated with Astroneer at this point.   I have zero issues with other games, so I can not understand what the issue could possibly be.  Repair via steam does not help.  I know the devs are busy but I would appreciate it if they would work with me on this.  I have not had any crashes with any of the other previous versions of the game.   Here are my updated files since updating to win 10 build 1809.

DxDiag1809.txt

SystemInformation1809.txt

dc9ae67a-ebd1-49c0-9fbf-767b872f808f.dmp.container

dc9ae67a-ebd1-49c0-9fbf-767b872f808f.dmp

i think its the same.

i tried your fix. game starts but can you please test something for me?

open the game (stay in menu or somewhere). then go to youtube and click on a video. when the video starts playing astro.exe crashes

1 hour ago, KingPhantom said:

i think its the same.

i tried your fix. game starts but can you please test something for me?

open the game (stay in menu or somewhere). then go to youtube and click on a video. when the video starts playing astro.exe crashes

ok Sorry wasnt understanding the youtube connection before, but you may be right I will give it a shot

@KingPhantom     So I played Daily Dose of Internet video on youtube in chrome (Version 71.0.3578.98 (Official Build) (64-bit)) for a minute without any crashes, even was able to load the save game while video was running.   Chrome is updating so I will try again in an hour or so when I back at the computer.   

Edited by Arcturus
typo

I'm on xbox one. Play on my mates World. Its Crashed 3 times. Plus I've noticed that the terain is having lines and gaping holes that glitch thru the world. I apologise if this isn't the right place to put this. But could not see where else to put my experiences so far. 

While on his world I activated one purple station. The game Crashed and so he reloaded to find that the 20 mins had not saved. Plus the purple thing. Had vanished 

2 hours ago, Arcturus said:

@Blind Io can you provide a link to the post by the windows store user?   Google cant seem to find and looking on MS store produced no results either.

We were on Discord - licon was the user.