Packager demonstration

Mak-a-Face

I just had to chime in on this packager after watching Joe's demonstration on twitter.

https://twitter.com/astroneergame/

The problem I have with this as it stands, is that you're taking a larger rover with no extras and turning it into a two-tier cube. It would be much easier just to pack-up 2 aluminum alloy and 2 rubber and place them on a medium storage and have room for 4 more small tier-one items like perhaps open 1 seat and three ceramic for a large storage.

As it stands now, unless this packager can package a complete vehicle with all the extras, there's no point even using this thing. You're better off taking the right items with you on a medium storage.

Just thought of something else, will the packager even work if any of the extras are fused to the rover? My guess is that it won't but we'll have to wait and see next week.

You're right that it's less space to transport the raw materials. If I was prepping to set up a new base on another planet and I don't want to make multiple trips, then I would do exactly what you say. But I think the point of the packager is not to be space efficient. I think it's to be time and resource efficient.

Your argument assumes that in all cases you'll have a Vehicle Bay available at your destination to craft that rover there. With the packager, you have a rover immediately ready to use as soon as you arrive. Also, assuming the packager is crafted from abundant resources like compound or resin, it will be cheaper to transport a pre-made rover than to make a new one. I want to use the packager so that I don't have to farm that extra 2 aluminum and 2 rubber just to make another rover at my next base. I've got a perfectly good rover right here, I want the option to just bring it with me if I like.

You make a good point about what happens if the rover has other components attached. I would assume either that they pop off and fall on the ground when you trigger the packager or the packager will not deploy unless you take everything else off. But I don't think that will make the packager pointless.

Edited by Fireforge

Probably packaging a fully-loaded rover might be too much, but it sure would be nice.

I'll reserve final judgment until I can see it in action myself in my own game, but at first look I thought it was great...

For me as long as the re-packer isn't too expensive it's a huge QOL improvement. Also from the looks of it we aren't even going to have the same kind of shuttles anymore. So we don't know what kind of storage options will even be available on them in 1.0. It says there will be small, medium, and large versions so the old shuttles might just be gone.

1 hour ago, Haze33E said:

So we don't know what kind of storage options will even be available on them in 1.0. It says there will be small, medium, and large versions so the old shuttles might just be gone.

There has been at least one image of what seems to be a cut-away of the shuttle taken up by a big storage blade in the middle. I can't search it up now but picture a bigger version of the medium storage inside the shuttle. 

But yeah, current guessing seems to be that the SREV replaces the medium (and small maybe?) shuttle and the LREV replaces the large shuttle (and more?) 

• 2 weeks later...

It's good for medium sized stuff printed at the small printer because it reduces from a medium slot (unpacked) to a small slot, from 2 raw materials to 1 slot.
But my most fundamental use of this is to pack research items I find around the world, i go about with my tractor opening research aids and packing the pods, i can carry much more research items back to base than placing them on regular medium slots